Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
And Trump has canceled his election party.

I think he knows he's gonna lose.
The rest of the GOP has already picked up on this. You don't cast a GOP senate as a check on a Biden/Progressive agenda if you think you're winning. Unless this is some seriously weird psychological warfare that only works on Republicans.

*Tillis told Politico in an interview that “the best check on a Biden Presidency” is for “Republicans to have a majority in the Senate,” adding “I do think 'checks and balances' does resonate with North Carolina voters.”
*The comment echoes Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s plea in a radio interview in September to “keep me as the majority leader” as a “firewall” against progressive legislation and court packing.
*Similarly, a fundraising pitch by the Senate Conservative Fund told donors, “If we lose the Senate, there will be no firewall to stop the Democrats from implementing their ‘Armageddon’ plan to pack the courts,” the Los Angeles Times reported.
*Several Republicans have vocally warned of a disastrous election in November, with Ted Cruz telling CNBC he’s “worried” the 2020 cycle will be a “bloodbath of Watergate proportions.”

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
The rest of the GOP has already picked up on this. You don't cast a GOP senate as a check on a Biden/Progressive agenda if you think you're winning. Unless this is some seriously weird psychological warfare that only works on Republicans.

The irony is that those calls may be too little too late. Approximately 2/3rd of surveyed voters are casting their ballots early. Texas alone has exceeded it's 2016 turnout just with early voting.

And that doesn't even factor into the greater partisanship in voting that has been steadily rising for the past three decades.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Well, outside of hopefully getting enough free time (and not being so lazy) to drop off my ballot later today, I have nothing to add really.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I love how you equate Biden winning with Stalinism.

Just....wow.
Biden winning? We're not getting a Biden presidency, we're getting a Harris presidency a few months at most after a Biden win due to "Completely unexpected and unforeseen health issues". It's not Biden or Harris that I equate with Communism, I don't think they have any interest in it but the propaganda machine isn't going to stop when they tell it to, neither will the arbitrary bullshit being fed kids and teens in education.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And Trump has canceled his election party.

I think he knows he's gonna lose.
I wouldn't be so sure. He's not cancelled the party, he's simply not attending. Instead he'll be in the White House. With his cabinet, and chiefs, and other heads of state. Talking about, I dunno, how to reverse the election, shut down the government, arrest Joe Biden. He's not hiding in shame, he's getting ready for the big announcement that the election doesn't count.

Oh look, turns out DHS agents have been told they're deploying to DC on election night. Totally not the opening stages of a coup.

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Biden winning? We're not getting a Biden presidency, we're getting a Harris presidency a few months at most after a Biden win due to "Completely unexpected and unforeseen health issues". It's not Biden or Harris that I equate with Communism, I don't think they have any interest in it but the propaganda machine isn't going to stop when they tell it to
So why make the explicit reference to Stalinism then?

, neither will the arbitrary bullshit being fed kids and teens in education.
Would that be "arbitrary bullshit" such as teaching creationism and intelligent design as equivalently (or more) truthful than evolution? What about ensuring textbooks state the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery (and even retitling it "The War of Northern Aggression")? How about by and large omitting or downplaying accomplishments of people who are not straight, white, and male from history? Oh, there's also the entire idea of "abstinence only" sex ed. And we have the stated goal of removing "critical thinking" as a core educational concept because it causes students to question their parents and leaders...

Reactions: Dalisclock

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
But this is probably happening nationwide.
Who had the bright idea to rely on the USPS to begin with... Like said earlier in the thread, if you want your vote counted, go and vote in person. This election the sheer amount of mail-in votes will overwhelm the system.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Who had the bright idea to rely on the USPS to begin with... Like said earlier in the thread, if you want your vote counted, go and vote in person. This election the sheer amount of mail-in votes will overwhelm the system.
This. I know we shouldn't be out in the open in a line, but you gotta take the risk and vote in person. I kept seeing lots of old sick people waiting in line and they all said they didn't trust USPS to be able to count their votes.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Yes and no. States with existing universal mail-in ballots have been virtually unaffected (minus some overstuffed boxes in the densest parts of King County in Washington) because the state and county had to do literally nothing to adjust. Other states with substantial vote by mail proportions had increases, but not overwhelmingly so.

The bigger issue is that a political appointee, the first in generations not selected from the USPS pool of employees, decided that, in the middle of a pandemic when mail voting was already expected to be higher than usual, instituted several policy changes that went against the principles of the organization, resulting in slower delivery and more lost mail.

Either way, you should still have the option of dropping ballots off in official drop boxes (you should always verify that they're official since the CA GOP decided to pull some criminally deceptive stunt with fake drop boxes), or in person voting if you're able.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
There were worries that the gap would be tightening as the election got closer, but if anything, it seems to be widening.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
No no, I get that. I fully 100% understand controlling the Senate is key to stop Trump, passing new laws, etc. What I'm worried about is the current Senate, under McConnell going along with Trump when he declares the election void. As in Trump declares the Presidential election void, and he's staying. McConnell then declares the congressional election void, and the Republicans are staying. And the supreme court, now 6-3 with a fully 3rd in Trump's pocket going along with that too.

So even if Democrats have a landslide blue wave and take every single Senate seat in the country and Joe Biden wins 5000 points to 2, the current and still in power President, Senate and Supreme Court simply say no, it doesn't count, they're staying.
That would be called a coup, which would recquire the support of the military, which trump doesn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.