The PS5 unboxing has begun!

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Everyone is different so I am not going to criticize, but the only Dual Shock I ever had a problem with was the DS3. It just did not feel right to me. DS4 is easily the best for me, and has the best analog control sticks. The only minor problem is me activating L2 oe R2 by mistake when placing a controller on the couch. Also, some the early controller had sucky battery life and loss their charge. The more recent ones I've bought don't have this issue now, but it was a problem for me a few years ago.
All lithium ion powered controllers have crappy battery life. I'd rather use AAA and AA batteries. My wireless keyboard has used the same AAA batteries with the same charge since June 2018. I don't use it as much as my wired keyboard, but still a significant amount every single day.

DS5 just looks more of the same, but all IPOD Future looking. I honestly prefer the look of DS4 compared to that. Too homogenized and boring design. I am sure it will play fine, but I will be buying other colors.

Speaking of controllers with buttons on the back. There are Power A Xbox Controllers. They have buttons on the back if you;re interested.

Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One - Black, gamepad, wired video game controller, gaming controller, Xbox One, works with Xbox Series X|S

Not expensive either. Works fine on PC and all of the XBOX consoles.
I've never liked Xbox's ergonomics.

Switch Pro > DS4 (which I use for my PC) > Xbox

I have a Steam controller, but just find it too weird. Not as good as a mouse and keyboard and not as useful as a controller. It's mainly the track pad that ruins it for me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Not excited. It's still the same controller layout we've had for twenty-three years, with the same limitations of the hands. Anyone who thinks the designers in 1997 just got it perfect for every type of game that would exist in the distant future simply can't imagine games being designed any differently. You think it's perfect because the developers design their games around the limitations of the antiquated controller.

Eight of my ten digits are still unused, because people think a controller has to be held up rather than flat. My thumbs have to control navigation and camera movement plus ten other buttons, while my index fingers control just two buttons each. It's so wasteful and means I have to use more menus, sub menus, button combinations and such instead of quick actions, while leaving the camera or navigation or using an awkward claw grip (though developers design their games with the expectation that you will use your thumb on the face buttons and D-pad, not your index in a claw grip). Dragging the camera with the limited (one centimeter) tilt range of a stick means any kind of aiming, which is so common now, will always be slow.

I want something new. Most console games aren't as simple to control and navigate as they were twenty-three years ago. They had much more auto-aim back then because the developers knew analog sticks were bad for aiming. Fairly certain the PlayStation 6 (2034?) will have this same layout too.

But if all digits are expected to have a button at the ready, how would the player hold it without accidentally pressing anything? People have already complained about bumping the Share or Option button because it’s next to the touchpad.

Other designs have been tried, from motion controls to VR type devices, to whatever this was from Microsoft, but it always comes back to something more symmetrical that’s easy to hold/grip with comfortable access to just enough buttons. If more buttons are needed, there’s KB/Mouse. Maybe with the success of Half Life Alyx and VR gaining traction again the next big thing will be node-based that the user wears like gloves and connects to the brain.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
But if all digits are expected to have a button at the ready, how would the player hold it without accidentally pressing anything? People have already complained about bumping the Share or Option button because it’s next to the touchpad.

Other designs have been tried, from motion controls to VR type devices, to whatever this was from Microsoft, but it always comes back to something more symmetrical that’s easy to hold/grip with comfortable access to just enough buttons. If more buttons are needed, there’s KB/Mouse. Maybe with the success of Half Life Alyx and VR gaining traction again the next big thing will be node-based that the user wears like gloves and connects to the brain.
Yeah, I accidently press the Option button and touchscreen on my DS4 a lot.

I'd make it flat. Like a musical keyboard, which also have too many buttons to navigate with just two fingers and a stationary grip. Most people would place it on their lap. It would be designed for that. I might place it on my coffee table. The camera might be motion aiming. Not sure, because I've yet to try good motion aiming. The PS Move didn't impress me, but I'm not ready to write it off. Otherwise, something on a flat surface that you slide with your wrist.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yeah, I accidently press the Option button and touchscreen on my DS4 a lot.

I'd make it flat. Like a musical keyboard, which also have too many buttons to navigate with just two fingers and a stationary grip. Most people would place it on their lap. It would be designed for that. I might place it on my coffee table. The camera might be motion aiming. Not sure, because I've yet to try good motion aiming. The PS Move didn't impress me, but I'm not ready to write it off. Otherwise, something on a flat surface that you slide with your wrist.
That sounds excessively uncomfortable to use. A key part of a controller's design is the ability to use it comfortably in almost any setup. If I wanted to be restricted to sitting up straight with a desk/table in front of me, I'd use a mouse and keyboard.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
That sounds excessively uncomfortable to use. A key part of a controller's design is the ability to use it comfortably in almost any setup. If I wanted to be restricted to sitting up straight with a desk/table in front of me, I'd use a mouse and keyboard.
Try not playing with a controller for a couple of months or years, then doing a ton of controller usage all of a sudden. It will be uncomfortable too, at first. Your knuckles will hurt, as will the long bones behind them. But like everything you get used to it and the pain disappears.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Which makes sense. If it hasn’t been approved by them, they can’t guarantee the specifications match, and these knockoffs could end up damaging the console itself during attempts at application/removal.

Either that or they allow them and just say it will void the warranty if non-licensed options are used.
....it's coloured plastic. Don't pretend it's some special proprietary secret.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
....it's coloured plastic. Don't pretend it's some special proprietary secret.

But how does Sony know the third party is using the exact same mold specs?

They don't, so from a legal perspective until they do, they have every right to not allow them on their console.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
But how does Sony know the third party is using the exact same mold specs?

They don't, so from a legal perspective until they do, they have every right to not allow them on their console.
That would come under buyer beware when buying any unlicensed product or periphials.

Sony taking action to block the sales is moving for them to try control the custom plate aftermarket. I imagine once the ps5 is released, they will stumble to enforce this, and lose.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That would come under buyer beware when buying any unlicensed product or periphials.

Sony taking action to block the sales is moving for them to try control the custom plate aftermarket. I imagine once the ps5 is released, they will stumble to enforce this, and lose.
Think about it from again, a legal standpoint. The shell is basically the face of the PS5. Sony’s next big thing. Why would they allow anything on it that they didn’t approve? Even if it was a carbon copy design, some kids slap Hentai waifu edition, blood and gore, or worse yet political plates on the thing, and the next thing you have is parents blasting it all over social media giving them bad press at the very least or worse, threatening a lawsuit and asking any other parents to band together. A headache no company needs on a launch.

Sure, maybe someday they’ll change their stance, but the “company” doing this was stupid to not make sure they were legally in the clear before dumping who knows how much time, money and energy into making something like this before the product it’s for is even out yet. It makes it look like a cash-in attempt.

Having said that, why isn’t anyone complaining about Microsoft once again using proprietary SSD’s? Pretty sure those will be sold at a hell of a lot higher premium than Sony’s official custom plates.

Last edited:

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So the PS5 is defo compatible with all PS4 games - both disc and digital?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I feel like you just fundamentally don't understand what unlicensed products are.

Also hadn't heard that about ssd, and cant seem to verify it, share?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I feel like you just fundamentally don't understand what unlicensed products are.

Also hadn't heard that about ssd, and cant seem to verify it, share?
I’m not sure wh there’s confusion about something that Sony has not officially approved for use on their hardware?

Microsoft’s SSD solution is well documented going back to this Spring.

Also worth noting for anyone getting a Series X -

Sony’s approach is open and a lot more options as long as it meets spec -
It doesn’t appear to be too difficult to access though

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I’m not sure wh there’s confusion about something that Sony has not officially approved for use on their hardware?

Microsoft’s SSD solution is well documented going back to this Spring.

Also worth noting for anyone getting a Series X -

Sony’s approach is open and a lot more options as long as it meets spec -
It doesn’t appear to be too difficult to access though
That article literally says any SSD will work? You said Microsoft wasn't allowing 3rd party SSDs. Those are contradictory statements.

Has anyone developed some ps5 SSDs yet? The article I read said you could stick anything that fit the specs into a ps5, but no current SSD fits those specs at the time of the article.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That article literally says any SSD will work? You said Microsoft wasn't allowing 3rd party SSDs. Those are contradictory statements.

Has anyone developed some ps5 SSDs yet? The article I read said you could stick anything that fit the specs into a ps5, but no current SSD fits those specs at the time of the article.
Fixed. I should’ve said proprietary, but wasn’t aware at the time that they actually *would* allow third party drives, of their choosing.

Sony’s just have to meet or exceed the min. spec of what’s in it now, which will be documented in the user booklet. There’s been a few thrown around but it’s best to wait until they’re confirmed and the price will likely drop by then too.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Fixed. I should’ve said proprietary, but wasn’t aware at the time that they actually *would* allow third party drives, of their choosing.

Sony’s just have to meet or exceed the min. spec of what’s in it now, which will be documented in the user booklet. There’s been a few thrown around but it’s best to wait until they’re confirmed and the price will likely drop by then too.
Wait, you think no one is making specs good enough for ps5? There are no current SSD because of the port itself. Third party producers need to create SSDs which fit the dimensions of the ps5 port.

That's actually far far worse. Xbox has a branded overpriced SSD, but will accept all generics. PS5 has a proprietary port that has to have SSDs specifically built for it.

Edit: I misread my article, they have to be apprived/certified by Sony, whicb prior to release none have been.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Wait, you think no one is making specs good enough for ps5? There are no current SSD because of the port itself. Third party producers need to create SSDs which fit the dimensions of the ps5 port.

That's actually far far worse. Xbox has a branded overpriced SSD, but will accept all generics. PS5 has a proprietary port that has to have SSDs specifically built for it.
Where are you getting that from?

1604496453103.jpeg