Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I still don't understand if Biden won Arizona or not. Fox themselves called it for him and are counting the electoral votes but everybody else just reports Dems as "leading" in Az.
God, I don't know anymore.

Anyway, I need to go to sleep. In 7-8 hours time, I should wake up. And I expect some results damn it!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
(washigton D.C. and puerto rico)
Puerto Rico mostly doesn't want to be a state, which is one of the core reasons it isn't. Statehood only won in one of the votes called on it, and that vote was being boycotted so probably isn't the most representative.

And DC is intentionally not a state so that no state controls the seat of federal government.

Also, you start trying to make new states specifically to benefit Democrats and Texas might pull the trigger on that thing where they are explicitly and uniquely allowed to divide themselves into no more than 5 states.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
God, I don't know anymore.

Anyway, I need to go to sleep. In 7-8 hours time, I should wake up. And I expect some results damn it!
Gonna read all the posts written in that time, or just skip to the most recent ones?

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Puerto Rico mostly doesn't want to be a state, which is one of the core reasons it isn't. Statehood only won in one of the votes called on it, and that vote was being boycotted so probably isn't the most representative.

Apparently, they actually do now but by a narrow margin of 52-48 (as far as I know this wasn't boycotted like last time)

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
This has since changed. They redid the vote with just "state or not" as options, and state won 52%. This is, I would say, the first clear result this way, so now Congress could reasonably act on that.

DC should never be a state.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Apparently, they actually do now but by a narrow margin of 52-48 (as far as I know this wasn't boycotted like last time)
The reason they boycotted the previous one is because the question was formulated to disadvantage the option they wanted. This referendum was not done that way, it was just "do you want to be a state".

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
It's supposed to be federal
And why is it supposed to be federal?
A far better argument would be that it would be the smallest state or that it would be entirely urban. Heck, you could make all of residential DC a state, that way the citizens would still have the representation they are entitled to.

Or you could just merge everything but the federal buildings back into Maryland.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
The idea is that making all of DC federal and not a state is that keeps the federal institutions and their employees unbiased. Otherwise there would be a constant temptation to give Federal State (or whatever you'd call it) perks other states doesn't have or for the state to meddle in the affairs of the federal government. Imagine a democrat governor making life hard for republican representatives or vice versa. By keeping it federal and thus largely free of the party squabble and the constant state-federal tension Washington DC ensures at least some semblance of impartiality and greater purpose.
That seems an absurd notion, nothing similar is done on the remaining levels of government and that hasn't cause the nation to collapse. In fact it seems far more damaging to democracy that the federal government can harm states and the state governments by withholding assets or implementing targeted regulations.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
A far better argument would be that it would be the smallest state or that it would be entirely urban. Heck, you could make all of residential DC a state, that way the citizens would still have the representation they are entitled to.

Or you could just merge everything but the federal buildings back into Maryland.
bcs then it wouldn't be neutral

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If it were a state, the state government would potentially then have disproportionate control over the mechanisms of the federal government. It makes sense to me.

Then again, you could always find other ways of addressing this: strict limitations on what the state government could do, or a section within DC that isn't under state jurisdiction.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

18148 difference at 99%, holy shit. There's a good chance that the winning votes could be way lower than %.1 difference

Edit: there is 61,367 votes remain *UNCOUNTED* in Georgia

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
bcs then it wouldn't be neutral
Neutral how? What neutrality does DC offer that no other state does? Are we afraid of the potential state government messing with property rights? WE can legislate around that, and even if we don't other state governments haven't done that to resident politicians. Or is it perhaps a tax thing? Because that is also easily legislated.
The idea that a bunch of people must be unrepresented just so that some politicians, who aren't even in the state all the time, can be shielded by some sort of neutrality is laughable.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Neutral how? What neutrality does DC offer that no other state does? Are we afraid of the potential state government messing with property rights? WE can legislate around that, and even if we don't other state governments haven't done that to resident politicians. Or is it perhaps a tax thing? Because that is also easily legislated.
The idea that a bunch of people must be unrepresented just so that some politicians, who aren't even in the state all the time, can be shielded by some sort of neutrality is laughable.
I've got another answer.

I believe the USA was inspired by the principle of "no tax without representation". If they won't give DC citizens representation then...

Status
Not open for further replies.