Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A former director of NSA is with him, apparently. Is it, actually, unironically, HAPPENING?
Honestly, if you follow the AP live updates a person could believe fraud is going on.

It has a stat of estimated remaining votes to count; these stats go down as votes are counted and announced... and then they occasionally go back up again, as if someone found a few ballot boxes down the back of the sofa or just delivered them from <insert party here> HQ. We who are sane know that's because the key term is "estimated", and that there can be late arrivals for whatever reason. But a conspiracy theorist would be going mental.

I quite the idea that all the remaining counting stations are deliberately trying to not count them quickly so they don't get a world of shit by being the ones to put Biden over the line.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I quite the idea that all the remaining counting stations are deliberately trying to not count them quickly so they don't get a world of shit by being the ones to put Biden over the line.
I'm convinced it's why Nevada is stalling. It really doesn't want to deal with trump

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Like... I just want to question the intelligence of some of the cult members.

Stop the count.

Ok. Nevada and Arizona are leading for Biden and they will give him 270.

You're campaigning to lose.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I decidedly don't. I'm just plain tired. I'm tired of republicans being so ruled by demagogory that they can fall in line behind someone as grossly unqualified as Trump and look the other way on his every misdeed because "Democrats must be worse, otherwise they wouldn't be Democrats". I'm tired of dealing with Trump's cult of personality who think anyone who breaks lockstep with him in party is a RINO and anyone who objects to him outside the party is a literal unamerican traitor. I'm tired of people shrugging off McConnell et al's brazen hypocrisy on the stated logic of "you can't tell me the Democrats wouldn't do the same if they had the majority".

I'm tired of waking up every day and seeing people insist that it's unfair to demand that Trump even act like an adult and follow the same rules everyone else has to follow. I'm tired that his brazen immaturity, overt narcissism, and total lack of qualification continues to be rewarded because so much of the country is more interested in petty spite and "their side" winning than they are in effective governance. That overt incompetence and corruption are considered a fair exchange not for doing good for their own people but instead for hurting people outside of the in-group fills me with despair. I'm tired of spite being the law of the land. I'm tired of Trump's cult going out of their way to make other people's lives miserable. I'm tired of them picking fights and then seeing their victims punished for it. I'm tired of Trump trying to villify attempts to limit the damage of a pandemic as necessarily "anti-Trump" because he can't put his ego aside. I'm tired of his base drinking so deeply from the partisan KoolAid that we get cases of them yelling - and I quote - "fuck Black Lives Matter" in response to being asked to wear a mask to comply with the store's COVID policy.

I'm tired of Trump's consistent and overt contempt for the rules and safeguards we have being handwaved as the newest flavor of the old "liberal hysteria" canard (because any substantive criticism of the man couldn't possibly have any basis in fact, amirite?). I'm tired of Trump making shit up whole cloth and his favored news outlets feeling it's their patriotic duty to echo it. I'm furious that Trump evidently sees this as nothing more than a childish popularity contest and thus sees no issue in bullshitting to delegitimize the process if he thinks it will be to his benefit. Without hyperbole, I fear that everyone's shortsightedness is ushering in the beginning of the end for the United States, rejoicing in a bad actor using every dirty trick in the book to come out ahead despite those tricks fundamentally undermining not only the system but the rule of law.

To look at this and see that he actually got more votes this time around, to see that so many people not only thought "I'm ok with all of this" but that "we want more of this" is profoundly disheartening.
You may be tired of it. Every rational actor might be tired of it but it just won't stop.

Even if we take the best case scenario of Trump losing then Trumpism will remain. His years of corruption and misrule was required to be rejected in this election but that isn't happening. Trump performed exceptionally well. He might still win and even increased his support with many groups. Most importantly is that the Republican voters don't seem to have rejected him at all. Despite everything the Republican base has shown itself immensely loyal to Trump. If Trump loses the Republican party still won't be able to break away from him.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
If I have a guess what state will announce their winner next is going to be Nevada or Arizona

edit: not Nebraska I am dumb

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I decidedly don't. I'm just plain tired...
I think what's happened, partly through infotainment, apathy and political disillusionment is also that people have increasingly started to view politics more like a game show.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I think what's happened, partly through infotainment, apathy and political disillusionment is also that people have increasingly started to view politics more like a game show.
You had a TV reality host as the highest position in the free world for 4 years. It's natural

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Like... I just want to question the intelligence of some of the cult members.

Stop the count.

Ok. Nevada and Arizona are leading for Biden and they will give him 270.

You're campaigning to lose.
Ah, but they only want the count to stop in certain states. There was a protest outside an Arizona polling station of Trump supporters chanting "Count the vote".

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A judge has just refused a Trump lawsuit in GA arguing against some ballots on the grounds that they provided the sum total of zero useful evidence.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
A judge has just refused a Trump lawsuit in GA arguing against some ballots on the grounds that they provided the sum total of zero useful evidence.
They're panicking! GA is still in play, WTF?

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Ah, but they only want the count to stop in certain states. There was a protest outside an Arizona polling station of Trump supporters chanting "Count the vote".
I checked. Dear God.

Arizona polling center is forced to CLOSE as armed Trump supporters lay siege - while Republicans launch legal challenges in Michigan, Wisconsin and Georgia and counting continues with Biden needing two more contested states to declare victory
  • US election still too close to call with several key swing states still in play and Arizona now in doubt
  • There are still 450,000 votes to be counted in Arizona and officials there say it could take until Friday
  • Trump supporters, some of them armed, descended on counting center to demand every ballot be counted
  • Hundreds of miles to the east, Biden claimed key states of Wisconsin and Michigan, leaving him near victory
  • To claim a second term, Trump needs Nevada, Georgia, North Carolina and then Pennsylvania on Friday
  • Biden could snatch the presidency if he keeps his lead in Arizona then claims Nevada, Georgia or NC
  • Trump has launched legal challenges to try and overturn results in swing states, after crying fraud
  • On Thursday, his team filed a lawsuit in Nevada to claim that votes there aren't being properly counted
  • So far, he has contested the results in Nevada, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia and Pennsylvania, even though votes are still being counted

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
They're panicking! GA is still in play, WTF?
Yes, but GA is probably going to be devastatingly close. Knocking out a few dozen votes here or there could win.

Secondly, create a narrative of fraud for general mischief. The way PA is going, it's all over even if Arizona is flipped.

Nevada is counting again. Biden's lead has expanded to 12k.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Either Trump is too stupid to realize that stopping the count means Biden wins, or too stupid to realize not stopping the count is his only chance to win.

Reactions: MrCalavera
Status
Not open for further replies.