What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Poise was made to be as obtuse as some of the quests in FROM games, for some reason. The best explanation I’ve seen -

FromSoftware has changed how poise works across all three games, to varying degrees. In Dark Souls 1 and 2, think of poise like an invisible meter. When attacked, your poise meter would go down. If your poise meter expired, your animation was interrupted. Though this wasn't surfaced in the game's interface, you could intuit how it worked. In Dark Souls 2, FromSoftware introduced a wrinkle that fans dubbed "hyper poise." For certain weapon types—usually heavy ones like greataxes—poise would temporarily increase while attacking, but you had to time your attacks to make sure poise kicked on at the right moment. None of this was made visible by the game, of course; it was all silently happening in the background.

"The invisible number war now had an invisible number modifier in an invisible situation," said Norwood.

For Dark Souls 3, FromSoftware quietly removed how poise worked in the original game, while keeping the mechanics of Dark Souls 2. Now, poise exists when you attack with a weapon, but no longer protects you from being staggered while standing around. Additionally, some weapon arts, like one inspired by the dash move from Bloodborne, enable poise while the player is moving. Essentially, Dark Souls 3 only provides poise while players are active.

Basically, bad Miyazaki. They need to realize that *good* communication, at least when it comes to game mechanics, is kinda really important.

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I just finished the fifth chapter of Danganronpa 2 again.

...I think I need to lie down.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished the RE7 free DLC, 'Not A Hero'. And it's RE6 again. This is like watching a friend relapse. I also think it's hilarious that Chris keeps getting saddled with red shirts just so he can repeat the I WATCHED MY MEN DIE shtick over and over. I swear this is the third time we've done this, following RE6 and one of the movies (Degeneration?).

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished the RE7 free DLC, 'Not A Hero'. And it's RE6 again. This is like watching a friend relapse. I also think it's hilarious that Chris keeps getting saddled with red shirts just so he can repeat the I WATCHED MY MEN DIE shtick over and over. I swear this is the third time we've done this, following RE6 and one of the movies (Degeneration?).
I watched SGF play some of the other DLC and it actually seemed really cool. There's the one where it's Jack's birthday party and it's a wave style arcadey type thing. Then there's the super hard randomizer run. And then there's the one where you play a hillbilly martial arts master and go hand to hand with the zombies. It's completely ridiculous and it's amazing!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I watched SGF play some of the other DLC and it actually seemed really cool. There's the one where it's Jack's birthday party and it's a wave style arcadey type thing. Then there's the super hard randomizer run. And then there's the one where you play a hillbilly martial arts master and go hand to hand with the zombies. It's completely ridiculous and it's amazing!
Yeah, saw the whole Joe Baker thing (End of Zoe DLC?), that looks ridiculous and fun.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

This reminds me of why the series has always been high on my list of “want to like it, but it makes it so damn tough to” games.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This reminds me of why the series has always been high on my list of “want to like it, but it makes it so damn tough to” games.
I do actually like the resident evil series...but...the stories are terrible and complete nonsense, and there are significantly more bad resident evil games than there are good ones.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I do actually like the resident evil series...but...the stories are terrible and complete nonsense, and there are significantly more bad resident evil games than there are good ones.
Out of curiosity, which games are on the 'good' list, do you think?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Out of curiosity, which games are on the 'good' list, do you think?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
The Remakes of 2 and 3
Revelations 2

That's 9 games, so that sounds like a lot, but you have to remember that there are more than 20 resident evil games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
The Remakes of 2 and 3
Revelations 2

That's 9 games, so that sounds like a lot, but you have to remember that there are more than 20 resident evil games.
You don't like the REmake of 1? I think it's way better than the original.
For a Top 5 I'd go RE4 > RE(make) > RE7 > RE2... then Code Veronica I guess. Never played Nemesis or the other remakes.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I think the nonsense stories are part of the fun, and usually the only reason I pick up a RE game as I don't care for a lot of the gameplay. It drove me nuts when people trashed on the stories of the RE movies because I just kept thinking "yes, the story IS stupid, that's the point man". Seeing tiny napoleon gloat at someone on a big screen would be tremendously enjoyable for me.

Side note, anybody playing ghostrunner? I'm looking for a more action packed game as the slow boiling horror of deep sea work in subnautica below zero is fun but mentally stressful.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You don't like the REmake of 1? I think it's way better than the original.
For a Top 5 I'd go RE4 > RE(make) > RE7 > RE2... then Code Veronica I guess. Never played Nemesis or the other remakes.
I don't think the remake of 1 is substantially different enough to really consider it a different game. Not in the way that the remakes of 2 and 3 are different from 2 and 3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
[QUOT
I just finished the fifth chapter of Danganronpa 2 again.

...I think I need to lie down.
What happened? You can put inline spoilers if need be. Don't forget to watch Danganronpa 3: Despair (a prequel that takes place before the first game) and Future Arcs, if you have not done so already. Apparently, you're supposed watch the first episode of Future, then the first episode of Despair, and back and forth between each arcs per episode. That way you get the full picture. I started and finished Despair by itself and then watched Future by itself and concluded with the Hope Arc. I did not miss much by doing it that way.

Here is something to keep you in good spirits.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
The Remakes of 2 and 3
Revelations 2

Keep in mind, most of the other games are non-canon spin-offs. RE: Dead Aim is decent and is canon. While I never had much interests in the Outbreak sub-series, they're good games. Umbrella Chronicles is a good rail-shooter that fills in gaps for certain in-betweens of the games. Darkside Chronicles only good thing is how Leon and Krauser met.

I don't think the remake of 1 is substantially different enough to really consider it a different game. Not in the way that the remakes of 2 and 3 are different from 2 and 3.
I disagree heavily. After playing Remake 1, it's hard to go back to vanilla/Director's Cut version of 1. Other than maybe the DS version. I say that, and I am not even hardcore fan of the Remake 1. Remake 3 is good game, but they cut way too much content from the original. Mainly the bonus modes and the live selection system. Ido thank them for getting weird of those crappy puzzles in the Clock Tower and the Water Treatment puzzle in the Dead Factory. I hated those puzzles so much.

I think the nonsense stories are part of the fun, and usually the only reason I pick up a RE game as I don't care for a lot of the gameplay. It drove me nuts when people trashed on the stories of the RE movies because I just kept thinking "yes, the story IS stupid, that's the point man". Seeing tiny napoleon gloat at someone on a big screen would be tremendously enjoyable for me.
While having stupid moments in the games, there are serious and well done heartwarming moments. The games, usually, don't insult the audience's fucking intelligence. The movies on the other hand, are so stupid that they treat either audience with respect. It's the same dumb explosions and guns to a way less satisfying degree with an over powered, God Mode/Mary Sue (An actual legit example, unlike Rey from Star Wars. Anyone that starts with that shit can fuck off! I don't care and not the mood to have that tired discussion again!) character that shows up the real characters from the games. The only reason being that the actress playing the character is boning the director who has not made a good film since Event Horizon. Alien vs. Predator (2004) and Death Race (2008) were decent films, but the former was a huge waste of potential of the original script was supposed to be. That part was not W.S. Anderson's fault. The latter went overboard on the gritty gunmetal grey aesthetic for 99% of the film. While most of the shots are not quick cut nor shaky-cam, the filter does hurt some of the actions and can strain the eyes for some.

I've been playing Undercover Cops and Violent Storm. These are both awesome arcade brawlers that did not get enough credit until put on the Internet. They are both better than most of Capcom's arcade brawlers and the entire Final Fight series. Hell, these two games are better than Streets of Rage 1-3 for me. Violent Storm is a Final Fight game made by Konami that is the best Final Fight sequel ever made. Also, one of the fastest and most fun Mighty Glacier character. Boris a fucking beast. In this game, you can kick enemies while they're down (like most Konami brawlers), everyone can dash, has two type of throws (Boris technically has three), and every one has an off the wall jump kick. All of these amazing moves you can do and both brawlers only use two buttons. Attack and Jump.

Undercover Cops was developed by the Metal Slug Team before they went SNK, working under Irem at the time. You can tell it is the same team, because of the sprite work and level of detail. It's basically Fist of the Northstar without the exploding heads. Similar to Violent Storm, but UC is not as goofy. In this game, you get wield weapons like hummers, motorcycles, steel girders, and support beams. Very unique for a brawler. Ironic, but you can never use pipes, knives, or bats. With characters that strong it would be redundant. Each character also has a super move you input via commands when jumping the air. Causes huge damage to bosses and OHKO enemies, but brains a lot of your health. Play these on MAME, because for whatever reason, these games are not XBLA/PSN/eShop/Steam for whatever reason. Make sure you're playing either the Japanese version of Undercover Cops, or the Alpha Renewal Version of the American Rom. The original US/World version got the unfinished better for some dub reason.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
What happened? You can put inline spoilers if need be. Don't forget to watch Danganronpa 3: Despair (a prequel that takes place before the first game) and Future Arcs, if you have not done so already. Apparently, you're supposed watch the first episode of Future, then the first episode of Despair, and back and forth between each arcs per episode. That way you get the full picture. I started and finished Despair by itself and then watched Future by itself and concluded with the Hope Arc. I did not miss much by doing it that way.
I watched the first episode of the anime, but it didn't really grab me. Besides, I'm fine now. That chapter's just pretty emotionally draining, especially if you played the first game right before.

Major spoilers for both Danganronpa and DR2 below:
The second game makes a point of repeated callbacks to the first game, both in the premise and in the murders, a fact acknowledged within the game itself. The fifth case continues the trend of similar murders, being meant to look unsolvable, but then it starts to break away from the original game's pattern by making it clearer and clearer what really happened, without needing to leave its threads hanging for later. Once the culprit gets revealed in a completely unfair (in-universe) way, you're required to push it against the breakdowns of all of the other survivors, and even directly vote for the killer for the first time in the series.

Another point of the fifth case is that the person sent to be executed, in the first game, managed to survive the execution at the last second and escape. So it looks like that might be about to happen again...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched the first episode of the anime, but it didn't really grab me. Besides, I'm fine now. That chapter's just pretty emotionally draining, especially if you played the first game right before.
Alrighty, good to know that you're okay, I can see why D3 might not have grabbed you. More so with the Future Arc Episodes, but I do give it a recommendation. It's basically tying up all loose ends from mainly Danganropa 2 and Ultra Despair Girls. Like said though, you might as well start with the Despair Arc as you see more of the D2 cast, and you will at least have an idea about who the new other characters are in the Future Arc that show up in both Arcs. But if it don't work out for you, no problem.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
While having stupid moments in the games, there are serious and well done heartwarming moments. The games, usually, don't insult the audience's fucking intelligence. The movies on the other hand, are so stupid that they treat either audience with respect. It's the same dumb explosions and guns to a way less satisfying degree with an over powered, God Mode/Mary Sue (An actual legit example, unlike Rey from Star Wars. Anyone that starts with that shit can fuck off! I don't care and not the mood to have that tired discussion again!) character that shows up the real characters from the games. The only reason being that the actress playing the character is boning the director who has not made a good film since Event Horizon. Alien vs. Predator (2004) and Death Race (2008) were decent films, but the former was a huge waste of potential of the original script was supposed to be. That part was not W.S. Anderson's fault. The latter went overboard on the gritty gunmetal grey aesthetic for 99% of the film. While most of the shots are not quick cut nor shaky-cam, the filter does hurt some of the actions and can strain the eyes for some.
I get what you're saying, but the first real experience I had with a few of the RE games was screencap letsplays, and barring those I could reasonably access I had to settle for watching cutscenes from those on old systems or otherwise out of my reach. Because of that I kind of did watch a "true to game" movie of the first four or so in as much as I saw the game narrative presented without gameplay and no memory of gameplay to sort of carry me through. When you look at it from that lens, the game narrative comes off as a crazy b-movie where legitimately good writing and acting is meshed right in with pants on head ridiculousness. Once I got to start playing them I realized that with the buffer of gameplay and the storytelling that comes through taking active part of the game it works a lot better because you get a break from the crazy. All that to say, I don't know if you could really do much better than a crazy Mary Sue shootemup, because most of the parts of the game that I think make sense as a narrative are pretty straightforward "don't release the zombievirus! Oh no the virus was released we must now shoot stuff!" segments. They could have payed more service to the actual game characters, but otherwise once you pull out the crazy out there's nothing especially interesting about a lot of the stories.

Silent Hill is another one that I think will always kind of defy a decent adaptation, because a lot of what made 2 great is based around the sense of loneliness you get playing and your own slow interpretation of the meaning of what you're seeing as the game progresses. Its really hard to give a sense of loneliness in a theater, and we can't have a 5 hour movie filled with slow building encounters set up for people to start to dig into their own interpretations of the forms of the monsters.

EDIT:

HA you could get a feeling of loneliness in a theater NOW. Ah dear. That's depressing.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All that to say, I don't know if you could really do much better than a crazy Mary Sue shootemup, because most of the parts of the game that I think make sense as a narrative are pretty straightforward "don't release the zombievirus! Oh no the virus was released we must now shoot stuff!" segments. They could have payed more service to the actual game characters, but otherwise once you pull out the crazy out there's nothing especially interesting about a lot of the stories.
You can get much better than Mary Sue shoot'em up. George A. Romero's original script for the film proved that. Capcom and a certain execs in Hollywood were too stupid or spoiled to get it. Dog Soldiers is a better Resident Evil movie, and that's just Night of the Living Dead with British SAS vs, Werewolves. All you need is the right amount of directing, music, and atmosphere. Look at the Remakes of 1, 2, & 3. Hell, despite their goofy and narmy moments the original iterations had plenty of scary or creepy moments. Sad moments that actually hit you in the gut.

The games are good B-shclock while the live-action films are just horrible wannabe B-grade schlock. You know something is wrong when films like Zombie 3 and After Death are more entertaining than those shits. Then again, those are actual entertaining B-films.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hollow Knight

Having played Bloodborne, Guacamelee, Blasphemous and both SteamWorlds this year I don't know that I have much mental acuity to appreciate Hollow Knight, a perfectly great Metroidvania that has me once more rooting around underground caverns and unlocking fast travel and save spots. The hand-drawn art is pretty, mixes cute and creepy, and the atmosphere of yet another dying world is very evocatively rendered by the enviroment and the enemies. It's challenging enough as far as boss fights go but nothing will ever feel as punishing as Blasphemous for a while. Most of the emphasis is on the exploration anyway, which is as fun as marking down a spot on your map to come back later once you have the ability you think you need.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I wanted to start Danganronpa V3, but I don't have time to really get anywhere with it. I'm going to be getting Yakuza 7 when it comes out tomorrow, and probably spending a couple of weeks doing almost nothing but play that. I haven't technically started playing it yet, but that's my intention. Maybe I'll get to V3 at some future point when I'm finished with Yakuza 7, if Cyberpunk hasn't come out by then.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
To the people who told me not to play Genshin Impact; you were right

This game is BS. At rank 25 your suppose to do a dungeon/accession question, the only problem is you face a nearly unbeatable series of enemies, and if you respawn you barely get any health back. And if you think that was hard try doing the second accession quest where you need 2 5 star characters, you are only given 1, and you are recommended two specific ones. So you reroll the picking of the characters right??? Wrong Rerolling is not useable for PS4 and has been nerfed.

Rerolling is where I presume you roll once, and if you don't like your picks you do it somehow another time, I never got to it since I play PS4.

Avoid 99% of all free to play games, this one included. Hell if they had sold this game as a 60 dollar game I would have brought it. The problem is those stupid more money than sense whales who running mobile gaming, and soon to be console gaming.

And people wonder why I like Politics, it's so we can deal with greedy assholes like this company via public policy.

Reactions: BrawlMan