Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I’m pretty sure I said something like: women need to be leads only when they do it the way you like. They need to appease your sensibilities. Anything outside what you like is woke
Which I already debunked, you already made this claim and I pointed out how you seemingly Missed it. So did you miss it again? Or are you trying the same trite old narrative a 3rd time?

Here’s a list of Movies from 2019

How many bad movies are here?
Quite a lot (especially as that list won't include most independent stuff). Now shift through to how many have been heard about.
Were people mad at Miss Bala?
How about Daughter of mine?
Holiday?
Happy Death Day 2 U?
Alita?
Fighting with My Family?
Wild Rose?
Crawl?
Dora the Explorer?
Ready or Not?
The Courier?
The Aeronauts?
Or Bombshell?

If your argument is people just hate women why did these films get a pass?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
"Outside of all the things that make it an action-adventure game, it's a shooter"

Your argument relies on ignoring what disproves it.

So your argument is "they're enemies in a video game, therefore their hearts aren't in it".
I don't think I buy that, sorry.
There's people buying the games for the platforming or puzzle solving? That's news to me.

Literally everyone else buys it.

However as you or others pointed out those are generally mooks it's done to not main characters also generally in action films the mooks are taken out of the fight somehow rather than it being a prolonged fight as such

Well in Pacific Rim it's a battle of technique using said weapons rather than brute strength as I said before.

So what aspects of TLOU worlds are that much more unrealistic other than Mushroom Zombies?
It happens in movies all the time. It's used to up the stakes so the hero doesn't win every fight. Die Hard 4 Maggie Q fight.

Joel's impaling. Character's basically teleporting all over the country in TLOU2 when TLOU1 made a point that it was hard. Making it through all the people and zombies is unrealistic. Hell, the enemy AI ignoring Ellie is far more immersion breaking than some too buff woman.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Which I already debunked, you already made this claim and I pointed out how you seemingly Missed it. So did you miss it again? Or are you trying the same trite old narrative a 3rd time?
Funny, which ones you picked hey. Seem to align with some sort of political agenda. Don’t worry, I didn’t miss anything

what’s woke all about again?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Funny, which ones you picked hey. Seem to align with some sort of political agenda. Don’t worry, I didn’t miss anything
No I picked the ones that haven't yet been mentioned in this thread that were female led film. So if the argument is people hate women why didn't any of those films get hate again?

what’s woke all about again?
No I explained before why I see Wokeness and diversity as different things.

Generally Wokeness is either:

1) Done in a way clearly not thought through

or

2) Done in a way to try and take shots at others or present superiority.

As an example of 1) Alex Rider the TV show giving is a Black girl Nazi and deciding the race swap Alex Rider essentially Nanny / house keeper for a black woman while also race swapping one of the senior operatives in the Department and Alex's hander to being white. They also put a female character in not in the original book who ends up being little more than a Damsel in Distress and implied love interest.

As an example of 2) Batwoman - "The Suit will be perfect when it fits a woman" and other such lines.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No I picked the ones that haven't yet been mentioned in this thread that were female led film. So if the argument is people hate women why didn't any of those films get hate again?
Great. Why is most of the picks you had of women lead shows. Aren’t men woke?

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It happens in movies all the time. It's used to up the stakes so the hero doesn't win every fight. Die Hard 4 Maggie Q fight.
Yeh he still tackles her and gets a kick in at her head plus a few good punches and throws her through a set of shelves

Joel's impaling. Character's basically teleporting all over the country in TLOU2 when TLOU1 made a point that it was hard. Making it through all the people and zombies is unrealistic. Hell, the enemy AI ignoring Ellie is far more immersion breaking than some too buff woman.
I mean in TLOU 2 there's meant to be a passage of time of months or so in various parts.
A.I. ignoring Ellie is a gameplay element more than anything else.
Joel's impaling I mean it's improbable but still just about possible

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Great. Why is most of the picks you had of women lead shows. Aren’t men woke?
Your argument was that people just hated films brought up in this thread because they had women leads so I picked the films from the list you gave me that had women leads and asked you where the hate was for them?

Why would I pick films with male leads to prove films with women leads aren't getting hate?

As for the list I picked.

Well I'm probably the only person here who bothered with the Alex Rider TV series anyway and it wasn't defended by critics as some great work (which is one of the things being argued here as part of a problem). So yeh the show was woke but would anyone even know what I was on about to use it as an example?

Most things I can point to with men in that could be seen as woke and flopped basically won't have been talked about and were just allowed to flop.

Robin Hood (2018) ?
How about Cuck the Movie?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Your argument was that people just hated films brought up in this thread because they had women leads so I picked the films from the list you gave me that had women leads and asked you where the hate was for them?

Why would I pick films with male leads to prove films with women leads aren't getting hate?

As for the list I picked.

Well I'm probably the only person here who bothered with the Alex Rider TV series anyway and it wasn't defended by critics as some great work (which is one of the things being argued here as part of a problem). So yeh the show was woke but would anyone even know what I was on about to use it as an example?

Most things I can point to with men in that could be seen as woke and flopped basically won't have been talked about and were just allowed to flop.

Robin Hood (2018) ?
How about Cuck the Movie?
I didn’t see Robin Hood. Or the one before that. How was that woke?

I just thought woke was prevalent so I’m finding it hard to believe that it’s mostly localized to women.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I didn’t see Robin Hood. Or the one before that. How was that woke?

I just thought woke was prevalent so I’m finding it hard to believe that it’s mostly localized to women.
Robin Hood (2018) - Scenes of protest and more heavy themes of income equality rather than just Robin Steeling the stuff and giving it out to the poor. Also accidentally racist tropes due to race swapping.

As I said Alex Rider as a show would count but I doubt many people have seen it.

Also at a guess it's more localised to women led shows because then criticism can be framed as hatred of women or attacking women thus playing upon benevolant sexism of society with people wanting to seemingly defend and protect women when woke properties with male leads are harder to defend because going "You only hate the show because men" comes off as stupid and won't get the same sexist blind rush to defend the woman or "Save the Damsels".

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Also at a guess it's more localised to women led shows because then criticism can be framed as hatred of women or attacking women thus playing upon benevolant sexism of society with people wanting to seemingly defend and protect women when woke properties with male leads are harder to defend because going "You only hate the show because men" comes off as stupid and won't get the same sexist blind rush to defend the woman or "Save the Damsels".
If this was true, wouldn’t it be really easy to point this out. Like, you pulled 3 examples for men out but like 20 woman ones

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
If this was true, wouldn’t it be really easy to point this out. Like, you pulled 3 examples for men out but like 20 woman ones
You mean other than the fact
  • The 3 I pulled out have basically no defenders really yelling about people hating them because they hate [insert here]
  • Having a show go explicitly woke with a White male lead just doesn't generally happen because it's hard to defend as I said "You hate it because men" doesn't work while "You just hate women" plays on benevolent sexism in society.
  • Marketing a show with a white male lead explicitly reduces it's pull with the crowd who whoop over woke shows and rush to defend them
So when are you going to explain why those films I picked out, all women lead ones. from the list you gave me of 2019 films didn't get hate again if as you say people are only hating on films for having women leads?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Robin Hood (2018) - Scenes of protest and more heavy themes of income equality rather than just Robin Steeling the stuff and giving it out to the poor. Also accidentally racist tropes due to race swapping.
363AF687-89F5-4173-B3E5-D083CF30EEEC.jpeg
Have...have you see basically any modern rendition of Robin Hood? Robin wasn't stealing Fair and Reasonable Taxes to give to people who were just Coincidentally Poor.
Fucking Woke Disney movie from 11 years before I was born, the SJWs

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
View attachment 1520
Have...have you see basically any modern rendition of Robin Hood? Robin wasn't stealing Fair and Reasonable Taxes to give to people who were just Coincidentally Poor.
Fucking Woke Disney movie from 11 years before I was born, the SJWs
yehs and I'm saying they managed to push the themes to a more extreme degree more the people demanding change than Robin trying to help them and being seen as fighting on their behalf.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yo
So when are you going to explain why those films I picked out, all women lead ones. from the list you gave me of 2019 films didn't get hate again if as you say people are only hating on films for having women leads?
I’m pretty sure I said something like: women need to be leads only when they do it the way you like. They need to appease your sensibilities. Anything outside what you like is woke
Upon proofreading, the first 'need' was meant to be a 'get'. Hope it did cause confusion

But yeah. Already answered this

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Upon proofreading, the first 'need' was meant to be a 'get'. Hope it did cause confusion

But yeah. Already answered this
And what are the standards or sensibilities again you are claiming are mine?

Decent writing? Oh the horror the horror?
Being something other than a femdom fans wank matter? Oh dear what tough awful standards I have?

Seriously I laid out what I consider to make something woke and either you're not reading it or just choosing to make up your own load of nonsense that I never said but you "So totally know you believe just admit it"

So why again when the entire argument is that films were being attacked just for featuring women were those many films from 2019 alone I brought up not attacked?

Oh and you can't just say it's related to my sensibilities because funny thing I'm not a hive mind consciousness controlling hoards of people on the internet.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Got quite a few tasty bite to chew on
  • Marketing a show with a white male lead explicitly reduces it's pull with the crowd who whoop over woke shows and rush to defend them
Wait. There's a crowd that want to see something other than white male leads. That's absolutely shocking. I wonder how that could have happened. How could have we possibly predicted this?

It's almost like people have been saying the market doesn't match their desires and that actually MEAN it.

Me personally, I'd prefer anything other than white males because I've had them shoved down my throat for so many years, I'm tired of them. I want something else. But, I know I shouldn't say that. It's hating white males

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And what are the standards or sensibilities again you are claiming are mine?

Decent writing? Oh the horror the horror?
Being something other than a femdom fans wank matter? Oh dear what tough awful standards I have?

Seriously I laid out what I consider to make something woke and either you're not reading it or just choosing to make up your own load of nonsense that I never said but you "So totally know you believe just admit it"

So why again when the entire argument is that films were being attacked just for featuring women were those many films from 2019 alone I brought up not attacked?

Oh and you can't just say it's related to my sensibilities because funny thing I'm not a hive mind consciousness controlling hoards of people on the internet.
It sounds like you DON'T like 'femdom fan wank'. That sounds like it's against your sensibilities.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Got quite a few tasty bite to chew on
Wait. There's a crowd that want to see something other than white male leads. That's absolutely shocking. I wonder how that could have happened. How could have we possibly predicted this?

It's almost like people have been saying the market doesn't match their desires and that actually MEAN it.

Me personally, I'd prefer anything other than white males because I've had them shoved down my throat for so many years, I'm tired of them. I want something else. But, I know I shouldn't say that. It's hating white males
Yet as I pointed out there have been a number of films in 2019 with female leads based on your list.

As I pointed out a number of woke shows have died off or not done super well

As you brought up most of them are female fronted.

I've brought up other female fronted shows one of which was actually kind of eclipsing some of the woke shows if you look up the numbers.

It's almost like people calling for certain stuff for shows and emphatically whooping on twitter about how great they are for sticking it to some group or other often referred to as oppressors aren't actually watching these shows and aren't actually much of a market force if they ever are turning up to watch the shows for the most part.

I mean if there were this great untapped audience how come show after show keeps failing to catch on and the only stuff managing to last is having to be pushed into existing properties and even then those properties are seeing ratings and popularity drop?

It's almost like there are and have been female fronted show for a while and it's not people hating women or something causing shows to fail.

I mean Stargirl a fairly unknown property eclipsed Batwoman by the ends of each's respective series.

Batwoman:
First episode: 1.86 Million
Last episode: 0.74 Million

Stargirl
First Episode: 1.77 Million
Last episode: 1.34 Million

So why is Stargirl not struggling like a major property like Batwoman?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean Stargirl a fairly unknown property eclipsed Batwoman by the ends of each's respective series.

Batwoman:
First episode: 1.86 Million
Last episode: 0.74 Million

Stargirl
First Episode: 1.77 Million
Last episode: 1.34 Million

So why is Stargirl not struggling like a major property like Batwoman?
Firstly: calling Batwoman a "major property" is like thinking Alan Scott is a major Green Lantern character
Secondly: your numbers for Stargirl are just wrong. The Batwoman numbers don't include the DVR recordings. And due to Covid, Batwoman's season got unexpectedly cut short, dropping the last two episodes
EB58E3B4-201C-4A41-B499-018BD8BC2F0C.jpeg
In short: if Batwoman's Going Broke after Going Woke, so's Stargirl.

Not that it matters. It'll get memory-holed as soon as it doesn't fit the narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.