How long until this Pandemic ceases?

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
The issue was that the criticism wasn't of the actually relevant part of the source, but of something entirely unrelated and what was criticized was entirely valid within the context of the source. But hey don't let easily proven stuff not even a page back in this thread stop your narrative. You do you.
It's all so tiresome
Sometimes it's too easy, really.
I don't implicitly believe anything anymore

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
By the same token you can argue multiple sclerosis is because of genetic susceptibility of primarily people of northern European descent. It is not easily observable or testable because there are no direct correlations only many interacting variables. A certain infection might trigger a genetic susceptibility or it might not or only in some people with other predispositions. It's ultimately impossible to protect yourself from all of life''s ills, inherited or otherwise.
So what?

What's the societal cost here? These people may lose significant quality of life, be less productive, have their development limited. They may require medical care, social care and welfare which have to be provided by the rest of society. How many, and how bad is it going to be? What's the possibility it might be very bad?

The answer is we have no idea. But given it's almost certainly a real thing, it's something that needs to be considered rather than brushed off. If you want to start throwing around things like "You can't protect yourself from all life's ills", I could say the same thing about lockdowns: suck it up, buttercup, it's just something you have to deal with.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I could say the same thing about lockdowns: suck it up, buttercup, it's just something you have to deal with.
So what's your advice to the people who've lost their jobs and/or businesses and have bills to pay? Perhaps medical bills, rent, car, food, family, etc. Just suck it up? Fuck them right, because less than 1% of the population is getting sick, and 1% of the 1% might die?

Fuck kids going to school. Kids are already stupid, so there is no big loss there.
Fuck the parents who can't afford child care while they work, that seven year old probably wont do anything too stupid like let a stranger in the house, or play with knives.
Fuck those people who lost their job and either don't have the skill set or the physical capabilities to handle labor jobs that might still be available through lockdown.

Let me tell you something. Thank GOD that the government sent me $1200 bucks six months ago, once. I don't know how I would survive without it.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So what's your advice to the people who've lost their jobs and/or businesses and have bills to pay?
Okay, the point I'm making is not that people should just have to "suck it up". I don't think they should have to.

I'm saying that the counter-argument to "people just have to accept illness and death from covid" is "people just have to accept lockdown". It's an arbitrary statement that people should just put up with shit, and particularly suspicious when employed such that other people have to put up with the shit and the person saying it doesn't.

Reactions: MrCalavera

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
So what's your advice to the people who've lost their jobs and/or businesses and have bills to pay? Perhaps medical bills, rent, car, food, family, etc. Just suck it up?
Let me tell you something. Thank GOD that the government sent me $1200 bucks six months ago, once. I don't know how I would survive without it.
Nobody means that people should have to suffer without support. You've ready posted an example of the solution people have been advocating for this whole time. Blame the political class for shitting the bed on the stimulus everybody but the hard Red conservatives have been begging for.

Edit: the things you brought up? People were begging for childcare stimulus. Unemployment stimulus. Education wasn't going to be handled well no matter what, but at least a direction on how to handle it and appropriate funding thereof would have mitigated some of the damage.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nobody means that people should have to suffer without support. You've ready posted an example of the solution people have been advocating for this whole time. Blame the political class for shitting the bed on the stimulus everybody but the hard Red conservatives have been begging for.

Edit: the things you brought up? People were begging for childcare stimulus. Unemployment stimulus. Education wasn't going to be handled well no matter what, but at least a direction on how to handle it and appropriate funding thereof would have mitigated some of the damage.
Begging for it and not getting it. The government is refusing, flat out refusing to help the people and then everyone wonders why people aren't listening. Its like they're fucked no matter what they do, at least risking getting the virus is only a 1% chance of getting fucked. If you sit around and wait for the government you are 100% fucked.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I'm really hoping that this pandemic would end like everyone else but it looks like its here to stay.

Lately I've been having weird dreams of going to places and realizing I forgot my mask. I think its just kind of sad I can't have a normal dream without worrying about wearing a mask like in real life. Its just so weird.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ha. Ha. Very cheeky. But come on, staying home for a week cuz you sick is very different than having your business and job shut down for months and months on end.
Incorrect: I don't get paid for staying home if I'm sick. I *do* get paid if I get furloughed or laid off.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I wonder if this means that the virus has run its course in those lighter areas? What would the same graph look like in April or May?
I'm thinking the same, especially the really hard hit places like NYC, 20% of the population was infected in April so they have more built-up immunity than probably anywhere else in the US. And now, they currently only have hospitalizations from covid in the 50s across the entire city.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I wonder if this means that the virus has run its course in those lighter areas? What would the same graph look like in April or May?
Maybe, maybe not. I know Arizona has been steadily getting worse over the past week or so, and we had already been hit rather bad a few months ago.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm thinking the same, especially the really hard hit places like NYC, 20% of the population was infected in April so they have more built-up immunity than probably anywhere else in the US. And now, they currently only have hospitalizations from covid in the 50s across the entire city.
NY state's daily reported cases are three times higher than a month ago and rising, NYC's cases are about 2.5 times higher than a month ago and rising.

So that looks like a no: it hasn't run its course. And as the worst hit area of the USA, that suggets everywhere else is even less done with covid.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
NY state's daily reported cases are three times higher than a month ago and rising, NYC's cases are about 2.5 times higher than a month ago and rising.

So that looks like a no: it hasn't run its course. And as the worst hit area of the USA, that suggets everywhere else is even less done with covid.
NYC's numbers haven't even doubled, yet alone tripled.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
NYC's numbers haven't even doubled, yet alone tripled.
Using the 7-day rolling average, Oct 13, 467; Nov 13, 1104. 1104/467 = 2.4.

You'll see the trend in deaths almost certainly follow the trend in cases with about a 2 week delay.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Using the 7-day rolling average, Oct 13, 467; Nov 13, 1104. 1104/467 = 2.4.

You'll see the trend in deaths almost certainly follow the trend in cases with about a 2 week delay.
Just going off the 10/5 high of 565 over a month back, it's just barely 2x (looking at the recent highest highs). Case numbers don't really tell much by themselves. The new hospitalizations have stayed pretty steady since late August/early September from the low 40s to around 50 mostly and just recently hitting 60. Illinois currently has way more (over 2x) hospitalizations when it's less populated than New York. New York has too much built-up immunity to become another hotspot.

---

More and more data and news pointing to the immune system granting long-term immunity to the virus.

- Spike-specific memory B cells were more abundant at 6 months than at 1 month.

All the news stories about antibodies lowering over time or the very very small handful of reinfections are just fear mongering like they've always been. Even the mutation stories are fear mongering too, viruses mutate and we still get conferred immunity to them, it's nothing new.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Maybe. I would doubt that it done with major cities

I would first look at mitigation techniques. As in, the map looks like the spread follow state lines pretty well. At least for a non American