Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
He'll realize the snozzberries don't actually taste like snozzberries.
Well anyway, I am curious about the game, as I want to try out the non-lethal run they mentioned was possible. I suspect it will be a lot of cyberspace/decking involved, which has always been my favorite aspect of the cyberpunk/shadowrun genre. I've yet to see any footage of how that will be handled? Were there any gameplay videos of "welcome to the internet" aspect of the game? I only ever saw stuff showing off the combat, which I frankly find dull, in most games. But give me some stealth/espionage/hacking game mechanics, where I can slice into a companies data servers and steal information to sell to my Fixers? Hell yeah I'll take that shit any day.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So I just read the Mechwarrior 5: Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC that was slated to drop the 10th has been delayed to Spring 2021, specifically because they didn't want to compete to the Cyberpunk.
The game has been delayed so much its entered a meta state of delaying where other games are delayed. Which part of me thinks yeah sure, Cyberpunk is as hyped at the second coming of Christ, but at the same time the Mechwarrior crowd has little to no overlap with the Cyberpunk crowd.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The PC Gamer review mentions "non lethal" mods for weapons. So my guess is that non lethal is the kind of coop out that a lot of games employ, where you still exercise massive violence to people, but they get tagged as unconscious instead of dead.

Either way, I remember how The Witcher 3 was on release. I did not expect CDPR to get anywhere near Rockstar's level of polish on release and I am ready to furiously mash the quickload button because the game keeps fucking up its own scripts.
Nah, given the actual setting, I suspect it will be very similar to Deus Ex, in that based on your stats and playstyle, you will be able to potentially bypass lots of combat situations entirely, via stealth and hacking. That's always been a significant aspect of the genre. I mean Decking had it's own section for rules because it was so in-depth, and different from the other aspects of the game. If they just carve that out entirely, I would be shocked.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Personally, CP2077 release has been both exciting and terrifying for me.

I've been on the hype train since the first gameplay reveal, despite the delays and the controversial stance of CDPR. I am scared that the game might be disappointing. And trust me, I've been burned plenty of times before with hype. Destiny, No man's Sky, Order 1886, etc.

Each of those games promised something big, and the pre-release gameplay/showcase certainly got everyone hyped. Especially for Destiny, which was made by Bungie.
But Destiny failed hard with the lackluster story,
NMS overpromised on things that the devs weren't prepared for,
and The Order 1886 failed with its story and gameplay so much that it never got the sequel the ending was hinting at

I got the game pre-loaded on GOG Galaxy, but hitting that play button will be the most exhilarating experience I will experience, even more than the game itself.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, that too. I just tend to think of that as the Ghost playstyle. Non-lethal for me is more like Dishonored's choke outs and sleep darts.
Well technically a Ghost run can include choke outs and sleep darts, as I've done those in almost every Ghost run I've done. Though there is nothing inherently non-lethal in a Ghost run. They just can't SEE you. You can leave the place in a bloody mess but if they never see you do it, it's still Ghost :D

But in general, the non-lethal also usually involves bypassing combat, as that is the paths they allow that don't involve combat. It's just that Ghost and Pacifist criteria tend to overlap in how they play out. Which is fine with me, and frankly most objectives in game sessions like Cyberpunk, are "Get X Item, we don't care how." They rarely want you to actually kill people, they just want you to get that Important Thing behind all those meatbags.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Well that's just a recipe for trouble.
yeh

How Cyberpunk 2077 Perpetuates Transphobia & Why Gamers Are Calling It an Act of Violence
At first, many trans players were happy with the idea that gender would not be determined by the character's genitals. However, that possible excitement turned to disbelief when gamers realized their character's gender and pronouns are not determined by genitals, but rather by voice. Only deep-voiced characters can be identified as male, while higher-pitched characters are identified as female, which purports the harmful idea that people's genders can be identified by certain traits.
Cyberpunk 2077
is a massive game, which means it's hard for any reviewer, with their limited time playing the game, to accurately state that Cyberpunk 2077 has no meaningful LGBTQ representation. There are occasional appearances of trans flags and a few characters who may or may not be LGBTQ, but the majority of the characters appear to be cisgender and heterosexual.
In her review, Polygon critic Carolyn Petit draws attention to in-game advertisements for a drink called Chromanticore. In-game advertisements for the drink fetishize trans bodies in a way that relegates them as "the other," treating them as both exotic and "sexy."
The social media account for GOG.com, a sister company to CD Projekt Red, posted multiple transphobic tweets, including one commemorating the "death" of gaming journalism, citing the cause of death as suicide and the date of death as August 28th, 2014.
^Apparently mocking games journalism is Transphobia now??

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
As I understand it, the game acknowledges the existence of trans people by, like, having a billboard of a girl with a huge cock, but that is the only kind of context in which you get to see that idea dealt with. The objection is that it often uses the aesthetic of transness as set dressing but doesn't do anything that examines the idea of it in this world so it feels exploitative, and also a missed opportunity in a transhumanist setting.

Isn't the idea that the world's corporations that make those billboards ARE exploitative though? Isn't that kinda the point of why Keanu is mad at them and whatnot?

The poster isn't there to do anything more than just add flavor to that, and it's not like it is unique in that affair, my eye caught another one where it's a poster of dogfood being given a tittyjob by some faceless woman.

Basically, the corporations in this game are commodifying EVERYONE, which is part of why they're evil. This isn't about telling a story about identification, it's a story about anti-corporatism. Just because you want it to be about something else doesn't mean it is a failure of it for not being what you wish, it still has to be judged on what it actually is trying to be.

You'd have a point if it was just that one dickchick poster and everything else was mormon-approved but no, that's just treating everyone the same taking place here.

Also, something I see nobody mention is that maybe, just maybe, the dickchick isn't trans and you can just...add dicks and take em off again for fun? Just to see what it feels like? Maybe it's just a sex thing like with those strapons and whatnot? Are we 100% sure that this isn't more like a futuristic digitized strapon and that the poster character is actually trans? People are going nuts when they haven't even played the game yet lol. This is a game which lets you download others' experiences and relive them in your brain with a full sensory feedback as if you were that person so if you can do that then trying out how dicks feel for real doesn't sound like much of a stretch lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Isn't the idea that the world's corporations that make those billboards ARE exploitative though? Isn't that kinda the point of why Keanu is mad at them and whatnot?

The poster isn't there to do anything more than just add flavor to that, and it's not like it is unique in that affair, my eye caught another one where it's a poster of dogfood being given a tittyjob by some faceless woman.

Basically, the corporations in this game are commodifying EVERYONE, which is part of why they're evil. This isn't about telling a story about identification, it's a story about anti-corporatism. Just because you want it to be about something else doesn't mean it is a failure of it for not being what you wish, it still has to be judged on what it actually is trying to be.

You'd have a point if it was just that one dickchick poster and everything else was mormon-approved but no, that's just treating everyone the same taking place here.
Frankly I don't expect the game to delve too deeply into the philosophical and ethical elements of the evolving state of humanity, and the concept Transhumanism, as influenced by the advent of advanced technology. That's a lot of talking and debating, and was already covered pretty well in Ghost in the Shell. This is going to be more whizbang, pow, let's blow up future corporate world with neon lights and cyber titties. Not saying they won't have some elements of it, but the game's setting is that everyone lives in that world, and is familiar with hit, so there isn't really any reason that Player Character needs, or wants to debate nuanced details of identity, as they are trying to do some Job for a John and their Fixer.

The Deus Ex games did a lot of discussing details of humanity and stuff due to technology, and the concept of self, etc, but they were a LOT slower in mood and theme. This game is much...busier I guess would be the best way to describe it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Frankly I don't expect the game to delve too deeply into the philosophical and ethical elements of the evolving state of humanity, and the concept Transhumanism, as influenced by the advent of advanced technology. That's a lot of talking and debating, and was already covered pretty well in Ghost in the Shell. This is going to be more whizbang, pow, let's blow up future corporate world with neon lights and cyber titties. Not saying they won't have some elements of it, but the game's setting is that everyone lives in that world, and is familiar with hit, so there isn't really any reason that Player Character needs, or wants to debate nuanced details of identity, as they are trying to do some Job for a John and their Fixer.

The Deus Ex games did a lot of discussing details of humanity and stuff due to technology, and the concept of self, etc, but they were a LOT slower in mood and theme. This game is much...busier I guess would be the best way to describe it.

I think that those bits in this game may be too spoilery and come in later so they've not been showcased or something. But yeah you play as a mercenary here so it's more about a cool experience rather than too much philosophy. But I mean, you already have Keanu in your head so that's good enough of a launching pad for transhumanist thought. We already are seeing that we can sorta download out souls and stay alive that way. I don't expect it to go Nier automata levels or GitS levels with it but it's still looking good either way.