Neil Druckman tries to mobilise TLOU 2 fans to vote for it for player choice in The Game Awards Player vote category

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I'm not going to pretend like they're any more or less baised than if Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, or Hades won.
If Hades won, I would not have a problem with it. For the record, I do not like rouge-likes. My GOTY is Streets of Rage 4.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If Hades won, I would not have a problem with it. For the record, I do not like rouge-likes. My GOTY is Streets of Rage 4.
I wouldn't have a problem with it either, but I also wouldn't act like this meant the judges were just and earnest because of it. Not that I'm saying you are, but that's always how many people talk around this time. Which is why I refuse to take any of it serious. Giving GOTY to an indie game could be construed as 'aww, let's give it to the little guy' just as giving to it a big AAA game could be as 'whoa, look how big and impressive it is'. Neither of which is really being objective, if that is even possible.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Which is why I refuse to take any of it serious.
Exactly!

Giving GOTY to an indie game could be construed as 'aww, let's give it to the little guy' just as giving to it a big AAA game could be as 'whoa, look how big and impressive it is'. Neither of which is really being objective, if that is even possible.
Correct. Though Hades actually earned its blood, sweat, and tears as far as I am concerned.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Correct. Though Hades actually earned its blood, sweat, and tears as far as I am concerned.
I wouldn't know, because I haven't really played it yet. But then I also don't know what went on behind the scenes of that game.

Whoever did the art for that game certainly deserves kudos though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Surprisingly to some, Kotaku is one of the first gaming outlets to break away from the paeans about TLOU2.

Lemme guess: Jason Schrier wrote that. If that’s the case, then it’s as far from surprising as a fart storm after a bean burrito.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Surprisingly to some, Kotaku is one of the first gaming outlets to break away from the paeans about TLOU2.

Oh my, the mental gymnastics of this on some other boards will be splendid.

I have seen plenty of people hate on and dismiss Kotaku as a SJW rag, but I have a feeling that those people will suddenly totally think Kotaku is a valid publication just to slag on The Last of Us Part 2.

Also, that tag line in the tweet sounds dumb. A best direction award is judged by the creative direction as displayed in the game, not by how well the work schedules for the staff were planned and directed 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Gyrobot

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, the VGAs are bullshit, but aside from that I'd be more than happy if they didn't consider any games with crunch for awards.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Where are you guys finding the energy and time to be so put out by a piece of entertainment you didn't enjoy?
Because Capital G gamers sees Druckmann as the devil, that they need to speak out against him and trash his works lest the industry become an Oscar Bait industry with no regard for the audience input.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because Capital G gamers sees Druckmann as the devil, that they need to speak out against him and trash his works lest the industry become an Oscar Bait industry with no regard for the audience input.
Neil Druckmann may not be the devil, but he is a smarmy, self-absorbed, know nothing, self-righteous, asshole that thinks he's one of God's angels, or God's gift to mankind. So that more than makes up for it. But hey, at least he's not the devil. Cuz God knows, I can think of people worse than that guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
If you push over that domino though...
Push it. Dew it.
If there's one good thing about Cyberpunk's disastrous launch, it's proving that crunch doesn't work as intended.
I'm not even calling for wholesale boycott of studios that crunch their workforce, just stop awarding them by the gaming media. Baby steps.

Lemme guess: Jason Schrier wrote that. If that’s the case, then it’s as far from surprising as a fart storm after a bean burrito.
Nope. Written by someone named Ian Walker. I'm not really that familiar with Kotaku's staff. Haven't Schrier left a while ago?

He added something to the discourse, though:

Last edited:

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Oh my, the mental gymnastics of this on some other boards will be splendid.

I have seen plenty of people hate on and dismiss Kotaku as a SJW rag, but I have a feeling that those people will suddenly totally think Kotaku is a valid publication just to slag on The Last of Us Part 2.
Agreed.

Also, that tag line in the tweet sounds dumb. A best direction award is judged by the creative direction as displayed in the game, not by how well the work schedules for the staff were planned and directed 🤦‍♂️
Disagreed. Atleast partially. Direction can be also interpreted as managing a studio in a way that allows to avoid crunch. If anything "punishing" studios that depend on it, by not nominating them, could be a good way to adress crunch culture problem.

The capital G Gamers as you describe them, tend to be the same people that defend crunch. Because it's their favorite studio doing it. Or because they believe it allows to deliver their toys fast and polished.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At the very least, Hennig wasn't working on TLOU, so why put that in there
Because Druckmann is now so hated - let's be honest, because of TLoU2 's story NOT the crunch he was likely partially responsible for - that he retroactively never made anything good apparently. I've heard people I actually like and respect make these claims. And I'll reiterate that I think Druckmann is a pretentious writer with his head up his ass, but a bunch of people are resorting to flat-out lies just to feed the gaming community's collective hate boner for the guy. Like how he mo-capped the sex scene with Laura Bailey in TLoU2, because of a crush he had on her, which totally didn't happen.

Reactions: Hades and Gyrobot

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Because Druckmann is now so hated - let's be honest, because of TLoU2 's story NOT the crunch he was likely partially responsible for - that he retroactively never made anything good apparently. I've heard people I actually like and respect make these claims. And I'll reiterate that I think Druckmann is a pretentious writer with his head up his ass, but a bunch of people are resorting to flat-out lies just to feed the gaming community's collective hate boner for the guy. Like how he mo-capped the sex scene with Laura Bailey in TLoU2, because of a crush he had on her, which totally didn't happen.
Can't you make this argument the other way? That people who are arguing about crunch are actually NOT mad about it but about something else (like the voice thing in cyberpunk) but are using crunch as an excuse to attack someone they'd want to attack even if they didn't do crunch, but would not seem legitimate in doing so.

A lot of people who are like "wow, this game has crunch, now I am not getting it" were people who'd not get it anyways, who were just looking for an excuse to make themselves seem virtuous and to justify what they were gonna do even before that justification presented itself.

And the thing is that it is those people who bring up crunch as an issue initially. If you don't care about this, when you are supposed to as the one bringing up this subject, don't expect others to care about it more than you. If people see you being an opportunist and use crunch as a means to your end of justifying your hatred for a good game and not seeming like a non-gamer ideologue, then others are no more obligated than you to protect the sanctity of caring about YOUR pet issue.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, it's 4chan and it lines up with what they want, so probably not

At the very least, Hennig wasn't working on TLOU, so why put that in there
The other thing is, Druckmann sought out Halley Gross as narrative lead for TLoU2, so the notion of being against women over the Hennig thing is without merit. They had significantly different visions for the game (UC4) and Druckmann had more pull. Hennig wanted to keep the series’ themes light and pulpy, which makes me wonder what her reasoning was for UC3’s abysmal plot. I think she was trying to walk the line between two different styles/tones and it disserviced both.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
A lot of people who are like "wow, this game has crunch, now I am not getting it" were people who'd not get it anyways, who were just looking for an excuse to make themselves seem virtuous and to justify what they were gonna do even before that justification presented itself.