Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The writing is good. CPR still has the best writing of all major publishers - though that says more about the standard of writing in the industry than anything else.
I recall another disgraced darling of who we said the same thing some years ago.

When the bottom falls out of the game criticism market and I have to start prostituting myself to developers, BioWare will be one of my first ports of call, because there are few enough developers in the world who treat writing as an integral part of the game rather than an optional set of colorful tassels to put on the handlebars."

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
It seems a big shot at CDPR got a little grumpy and retweeted a post criticizing Sony for pulling the game. The comparison was made with Avengers which reportedly launched for worse.

I can't really judge either game on that front since I own neither game, but I think there's a very important difference between the two games. Deep down most people likely knew that Avengers wouldn't lit the world on fire. Many might even have suspected the game would bomb. The warnings signs had always been there. It was very easy to tell that it was a game made with a design mentality years out of date and that it obviously pursued ''games as a service'' at its own expense. Expectations about the game were always relatively low for such a powerful brand name.

But Cyberpunk is different. It wasn't your average looter shooter but the defining masterpiece of this generation. People were hyped for it in ways they would never be for Avengers, it was made by a dev with the right pedigree who always said the right things to the audience. That it turned out like this really is quite a shock and its far more noticeable then yet another failed looter shooter.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It seems a big shot at CDPR got a little grumpy and retweeted a post criticizing Sony for pulling the game.
Dude sounds like a punk ass biatch! Release a game with most of the kinks worked out next time you feeble minded jack asses!

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Having done most of the missions I would say this. There is no endgame. After 50-60 hours of doing most of the main missions, and etc. you get bored quickly. Also, there are lots of things the games do tell you, you can't scrap ANY unique weapons or they would be posted forever, however only some weapons are cool enough to keep some the pistols, swords are.

You also can't replay any missions.

I mean I got my money's worth out of it, but the side missions need, and gigs need to be better made and have better rewards. The gigs are just grinding money-making bull.

This game needs mods bad. It's like a better version of Skyrim, but needs more areas, unique quests, replaying missions, more weapon animation diversity, and so much more.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Public service announcement:

Cyberpunk's save irrecoverably corrupts if it goes above 8MB.

Your file size increases every time you craft an item. If you craft too much stuff your saved game goes caput.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia

Your file size increases every time you craft an item. If you craft too much stuff your saved game goes caput.
How's that work exactly? Does destroying crafted weapons reverse this?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It just keeps getting worse, don't it? I am so glad I never had interests for this game. I do feel bad for those invested in the game.
"Pioneers get slaughtered, and the settlers prosper."

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
How's that work exactly? Does destroying crafted weapons reverse this?
Apparently when your save gets too big it starts overwriting critical files in other locations which causes corruption. Why? Fuck if I know.

No, destroyed crafted weapons does not reverse it.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Ah yes, the Fallout 3/skyrim thing lol.

I remember those good old days on PS3, when you could only play like 6 hours of Skyrim before the save became a dumpster fire.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

That's like the stupid cherry on the shit sundae.

I mean, this is like the trainwreck that keeps on crashing into things even after derailing. And I thought after FO76 we wouldn't see anything so botched for another decade, or at least a few more years. Silly me for thinking people learn anything.

Last edited:

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Apparently when your save gets too big it starts overwriting critical files in other locations which causes corruption. Why? Fuck if I know.

No, destroyed crafted weapons does not reverse it.

I made a fucking crafter character lol fuuuuck.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
That was fast.
Like I said, the main story proper isn't long, and there aren't that many sidequests. I did the main story, the sidequests and all the gigs (and believe me, the gigs were starting to get to me by the end). My total time on that run was 40 hours, and I could have definitely cut that down by a couple if I wasn't bothering driving everywhere with a motorcycle to look around.

Hey guys if you wanna play a better Cyberpunk game check out Shadowrun: Hong Kong. That game kicks ass.
Or E.Y.E.

Though, uh, I would only recommend E.Y.E. to those with a lot of patience and penchant for insanity.

I recall another disgraced darling of who we said the same thing some years ago.
I have some... choice words about the quality of Bioware's writing across the years, but I shall refrain as this isn't the topic.

thinks back to the thousands of crafting components I upgraded

Well, I sure got lucky.

I made a fucking crafter character lol fuuuuck.
If it makes you feel any better, I also made a crafter and crafted throughout the whole game without anything like that happening, so hopefully this doesn't happen all the time?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That does it; let's make a list of better Cyberpunk games than C2077. I'll start:
  • Bot Vice
  • Ruiner
  • Katana Zero
  • Hard Reset
  • FVII Remake and Original
  • Oni (anyone remember that back in 2001)
  • Metal Gear Solid and Rising
  • Deus Ex series
  • Binary Domain
  • F.E.A.R
Anyone else want to take over?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
That does it; let's make a list of better Cyberpunk games than C2077. I'll start:
  • Bot Vice
  • Ruiner
  • Katana Zero
  • Hard Reset
  • FVII Remake and Original
  • Oni (anyone remember that back in 2001)
  • Metal Gear Solid and Rising
  • Deus Ex series
  • Binary Domain
  • F.E.A.R
Anyone else want to take over?
You forgot Shadowrun.

But really I say just give it time. I will never judge this when its clearly in a state that it is. I mean I look at Rome 2 now its actually a really good game that it exceeded its disaster of a launch state.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You forgot Shadowrun.
I didn't forget, I wanted to give people a chance to name other games and not take all of the good or most well known titles.

But really I say just give it time. I will never judge this when its clearly in a state that it is. I mean I look at Rome 2 now its actually a really good game that it exceeded its disaster of a launch state.
You do that. I remember a time when games were released a complete or near complete state, and didn't have rush it now, fix it later mentality. It's why I don't bother most AAA games anymore. If AA and indie games can get this right 95% of the time, what's AAA space excuse at this point? All the graphics in the world don't mean shit if the game play faulty, buggy mess, and not fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock