Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Apparently when your save gets too big it starts overwriting critical files in other locations which causes corruption. Why? Fuck if I know.

No, destroyed crafted weapons does not reverse it.

Add memory mismanagement to the shit heap of other management issues that have plagued this game. Apparently it only happens on PC and Stadia, oddly enough. I wonder if CDPR will ever recover from this.

In any case, if the game was launched in this state due to pressure from investors and board members, it serves them right. And with any luck, they might’ve even learned something from all of this oh who the fuck am I kidding.

I also read something similar apparently happened in The Witcher 2 though, so I guess there’s that.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
If AA and indie games can get this right 95% of the time, what's AAA space excuse at this point?
A gaggle of ruthless investors and corrupt shareholders breathing down the developers neck would be the excuse. Smaller projects attract a smaller amount of management pressure.

Though this does seem to be a problem that mostly exist in the west. The Japanese market has its own problem with management intruding on the development process, but someone within the dev team usually has enough cloud to at least arrange for the project to get released in a finished state. Even Metal Gear Solid 5 which lengthy and expensive and expensive development partially prompted Konami to burn their video game division to the ground at least got allowed to release in a finished state. And that's a game where they straight up cut out the ending.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yo do that. I remember a time when games were released a complete or near complete state, and didn't have rush it now, fix it later mentality. It's why I don't bother most AAA games anymore. If AA and indie games can get this right 95% of the time, what's AAA space excuse at this point? All the graphics in the world don't mean shit if the game play faulty, buggy mess, and not fun.
"BUT KEANU! HE CAME ON STAGE AND SAID 'CYBERPUNK' A BUNCH OF TIMES!"

Yeah, glad I wasn't hyped for this or I'd be really mad right now. Instead I'm just disappointed CDPr dropped the ball so badly after W3.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I guess CDPR was really desperate for someone to hold their beer after the whole Naughty Dog controversy.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Though this does seem to be a problem that mostly exist in the west. The Japanese market has its own problem with management intruding on the development process, but someone within the dev team usually has enough cloud to at least arrange for the project to get released in a finished state. Even Metal Gear Solid 5 which lengthy and expensive and expensive development partially prompted Konami to burn their video game division to the ground at least got allowed to release in a finished state. And that's a game where they straight up cut out the ending.
Probably because the West is more about that open-world with as many gizmo's as it can hold. Most of these major AAA technical flubs tend to come out of that corner. Japan on the other hand doesn't seem to bother with open-world games all that much.

Reactions: MrCalavera

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A gaggle of ruthless investors and corrupt shareholders breathing down the developers neck would be the excuse. Smaller projects attract a smaller amount of management pressure.

Not to mention AAA bears the burden of always needing bigger, better, more graphics, more original, whyisanythingwrongwiththisgameyoubastardsobviouslyhavebillionsofdollarsatyourdisposalFU, etc.

Meanwhile, any Indy dev shits out functioning code at under a fraction of the demand if that and it’s, oh wow this is fresh and interesting!

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Okay so if I followed this video correctly, Cyberpunk has a save file size cap that isn't designed for looting or crafting. Basically if your save file goes over 8gb its corrupted and can't be loaded, and the response was basically "Well don't play the game too long or much. Finish the story and move on."

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not to mention AAA bears the burden of always needing bigger, better, more graphics, more original, whyisanythingwrongwiththisgameyoubastardsobviouslyhavebillionsofdollarsatyourdisposalFU, etc.

Meanwhile, any Indy dev shits out functioning code at under a fraction of the demand if that and it’s, oh wow this is fresh and interesting!

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I didn't forget, I wanted to give people a chance to name other games and not take all of the good or most well known titles.

Yo do that. I remember a time when games were released a complete or near complete state, and didn't have rush it now, fix it later mentality. It's why I don't bother most AAA games anymore. If AA and indie games can get this right 95% of the time, what's AAA space excuse at this point? All the graphics in the world don't mean shit if the game play faulty, buggy mess, and not fun.
Not all games though. Resident Evil 2 Remake wasn't a buggy mess. Nor was Three Kingdoms Total War. Nor Doom Eternal. Nor Last of Us Part 2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not all games though. Resident Evil 2 Remake wasn't a buggy mess. Nor was Three Kingdoms Total War. Nor Doom Eternal. Nor Last of Us Part 2
I know that, but it doesn't make up for the majority that are doing this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Well don't play the game too long or much. Finish the story and move on."
How about you idiots fix your game or at least one that has all the bugs kinked out. Telling them not to explore an open world game nor do side content, has got to be one of the most idiotic self-defeating purpose I have ever heard.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I know that, but it doesn't make up for the majority that are doing this.
I am curious though, lets count the amount of games on all platforms and which ones had broken/unstable launches and those that perfectly worked right out of the box.

Because I have this feeling that it only seems like a majority because they were high profile games that were overhyped.

And this is about games that are broken and unstable, whether these were good and bad games after the fact is not up there.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
"BUT KEANU! HE CAME ON STAGE AND SAID 'CYBERPUNK' A BUNCH OF TIMES!"

Yeah, glad I wasn't hyped for this or I'd be really mad right now. Instead I'm just disappointed CDPr dropped the ball so badly after W3.

Personally I haven’t had a problem with it on PC *knocks on oak*. I had more issues with The Witcher 3 when I first installed it more than two years after launch, but still nothing that wasn’t easily fixed. I only played the prologue of 2077 though. Might give it some more time to marinate since there’s too much else in the backlog I’ve been meaning to finish.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am curious though, lets count the amount of games on all platforms and which ones had broken/unstable launches and those that perfectly worked right out of the box.
Knock yourself right out and do that. I should've address something. By majority, I am not talking about games made and published by the console makers themselves like Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft. A lot of them work out of the box with some minor exceptions. I am talking about the crap Activsion, 2K, EA, Betheshda, Ubisoft, and CD Projekt Red this generation. And last generation while we're at it.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
That does it; let's make a list of better Cyberpunk games than C2077. I'll start:
  • Bot Vice
  • Ruiner
  • Katana Zero
  • Hard Reset
  • FVII Remake and Original
  • Oni (anyone remember that back in 2001)
  • Metal Gear Solid and Rising
  • Deus Ex series
  • Binary Domain
  • F.E.A.R
Anyone else want to take over?
Ghostrunner and _Observer - coincidentally, also made by polish studios, but for a fracture of Cyberpunk's money and development time. Haven't played them, but haven't heard about them being a raging dumpster fires either.

I'd also mention Shadowrun if i already havent' in this thread.