Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Like take the Dawn of War series. DoW 3 is hated by 40k fans and all but destroyed the franchise, but if they announced DoW 4 I'd be excited as fuck. Take that need for a good game, remove the franchise uniqueness of 40k and just apply it to entire genres like RPG or FPS.
It's not just 40K fans, there are remote Amazonian tribes that hate DoW 3.

I wasn't hyped for this, but CP2020 was my RPG when I was a teenager, so the game turning out a mess is a bit of a sad day for me. It feels like CPV3 all over again.

But it probably won't be by the time play it 6 months down the line. The Bethesda FPRPGs are pretty much my favourite game series and I always wait for the GotY version because I know they are buggy pieces of shit on launch and you need to wait a year before Bethesda and modders to have fixed them and added a load of quality of life improvements. Not to mention it's cheaper and you get all the content.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Trying the fully understand this one. I’ve only played a few hours literally, and have no idea if any of the preset customizations matter or mean anything other than frivolous character stylings, so perhaps they could’ve done more with them in a respectful or meaningful way.

Having said that, it prompts contemplation over what exactly the boundaries or guidelines are for appropriation accusations.

If I get Mexican for dinner is that an example?

Or would it be if rich white folk do so?

What about white people acting black in terms of language or mannerisms?

What if it only involves distinct ethnic groups of different backgrounds, like say a Native American and an Asian?

Curious what others think.
The idea of "cultural appropriation" has never really sat well with me.

It always just reminds me of that spoiled kid we all knew who invites you to their house, but just does it to show off their stuff and won't let you play with any of their toys.

Look at this cool thing I have. No, you can't play with it but you can watch me play it.

I think we all hated that kid.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Here's the list of promised features that the game lacks all with cited sources and right on CDPR's own forum.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The idea of "cultural appropriation" has never really sat well with me.

It always just reminds me of that spoiled kid we all knew who invites you to their house, but just does it to show off their and won't let you play with any of their toys.

Look at this cool thing I have. No, you can't play with it but you can watch me play it.

I think we all hated that kid.
There's a version of Māori tattoos called kirituhi that *aren't* considered sacred for this exact reason.

This has got big "oh, so I can't drink the sacred wine because I'm not part of your religion, how dare" energy

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Here's the list of promised features that the game lacks all with cited sources and right on CDPR's own forum.

Of all of those the poor AI that we got hurts the game the most.

The police have practically no AI whatsoever. You commit a crime and they teleport to your location, but all you have to do is take a leisurely walk for a couple of blocks to get away from them. Cops don't chase you because they literally have no chase AI. It's pathetic.

Same with drivers. If you stop your car in the middle of the street no one will try to drive around you, traffic just grinds to a halt.

NPCs don't try to fight you or protect themselves, or even run away. If violence happens they all just crouch in place.

Compare this to the AI in GTA5 and it's a night and day difference in sophistication, and I don't think anyone would make the claim that GTA has good AI.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The police have practically no AI whatsoever. You commit a crime and they teleport to your location, but all you have to do is take a leisurely walk for a couple of blocks to get away from them. Cops don't chase you because they literally have no chase AI. It's pathetic.

Same with drivers. If you stop your car in the middle of the street no one will try to drive around you, traffic just grinds to a halt.

NPCs don't try to fight you or protect themselves, or even run away. If violence happens they all just crouch in place.

Compare this to the AI in GTA5 and it's a night and day difference in sophistication, and I don't think anyone would make the claim that GTA has good AI.

It’s sad because like westerns there are so few games in the cyberpunk genre that seem to encapsulate the feeling of being an augmented badass in a big, dark and dangerous city. At least not with modern game design, unless I’m really overlooking something. I was hoping this would be the cyberpunk equivalent of what RDR2 is for western genre. Or at least something close. Hell, even something like The Witcher 3 is to its magical medieval fantasy setting.

I mean sure, there’s Deus Ex: HR and MD but they’re mostly linear and scripted, with very little world building, depth or presence beyond the narrative progression. I just got MD Digital Deluxe off the winter Steam sale for about $7 but mostly just to have it in my collection. I haven’t even finished HR Director’s cut because it feels too much like an amusement park ride with little freedom or variety. It also had a glitched quest that was kinda off-putting in itself.

Perhaps CDPR will eventually be able to patch it into an enhanced edition that gets it much closer to the original vision.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Yeah, people don't seem to realize how big a jump in overall game design and game systems it is from something like Witcher 3, which is really simplistic in nature, to what you have going on in Rockstar or Ubisoft open worlds. Witcher 3 really didn't need much in regards to AI, the most advanced thing was to have bandits with range weapons attack from range and everyone else just basically run up to and attack Geralt. I doubt enemies even had view cones.

I said the following in the following thread from the v1 forums 2 years ago.

It's seems like from watching the gameplay demo that CDPR has put together better shooting than they did with melee combat with Witcher 3. However, what is shown isn't by any means mind-blowing, it basically looked like early tutorial-esque missions showing the player 'look you can shoot through walls' and 'look there's alternate paths through the level' with a super convenient route to flank an enemy. Where Cyberpunk really succeeds or fails we won't really see because trying to basically make an immersive sim RPG is all about level design, creating organic open-ended gameplay with well-designed abilities/skills/powers, and how much player choice actually impacts the game world. And CDPR has no track record of doing that. Witcher-esque open world design greatly differs from say Deus Ex or Dishonored type level design. I don't think any dev has been able to make a quality immersive sim game that didn't have people on the team that actually worked on the OG Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, etc. Maybe CDPR hired on some experts in that type of game design like Guerrilla Games did with hiring people for Horizon in areas they didn't have experience in. Regardless of who the dev is, I won't believe they can do something until they've done before and done it well. I really don't expect anything but good writing from Cyberpunk at this point and CDPR will have to prove me wrong with the finished product.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, people don't seem to realize how big a jump in overall game design and game systems it is from something like Witcher 3, which is really simplistic in nature, to what you have going on in Rockstar or Ubisoft open worlds. Witcher 3 really didn't need much in regards to AI, the most advanced thing was to have bandits with range weapons attack from range and everyone else just basically run up to and attack Geralt. I doubt enemies even had view cones.

I said the following in the following thread from the v1 forums 2 years ago.
Funny enough, Cyberpunk is still the only CD Project game that I actually enjoy playing, despite its innumerable flaws.

Man I really didn't like the gameplay in Witcher 2 or 3 but for some reason I keep buying these games (it's mostly to benchmark my computer).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Funny enough, Cyberpunk is still the only CD Project game that I actually enjoy playing, despite its innumerable flaws.

Man I really didn't like the gameplay in Witcher 2 or 3 but for some reason I keep buying these games (it's mostly to benchmark my computer).
Just from that early level they demoed (what my quote from v1 forum was referring to), the shooting looked better than the melee combat played in Witcher 3. From gameplay videos I've seen (review footage and glitch videos), I can see there's leaning (which not even COD has); does the game still have a slide mechanic / the ability to dash around (like Shadow Warrior)?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Kinda like how nobody gave a shit about Shenmue 3.
Shenmue 3 was so funny. Everybody was all hyped up "OMG! ANOTHER SHENMUE AFTER 18 YEARS!!" and then it turned out to be another Shenmue game and everybody was disappointed. Whatever you can say about Shenmue 3, it was certainly a faithful continuation of the series. Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Shenmue 4, I honestly really enjoyed watching SGF's playthroughs of all the games in the Shenmue series.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, random thought, but does anyone else remember that one trailer they put out that spoiled the whole ending of the first act (Jackie's death, Dex's betrayal, getting shot in the head, hell, even Keanu being a cyber ghost haunting your brain)?

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
So, random thought, but does anyone else remember that one trailer they put out that spoiled the whole ending of the first act (Jackie's death, Dex's betrayal, getting shot in the head, hell, even Keanu being a cyber ghost haunting your brain)?
Yes.

I remembered as I did the bloody act. Fucking imbeciles.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler