Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Not gonna lie, American high school sex comedies run into the same problem
Movies like american pie have the excuse of the character being underage but the actor really not being underage which makes it not creepy. Now, I fail to see how a character being a drawing instead of being portrayed by an of-age adult is more sinful when the characters in the story are underage in both cases, but...apparently it is? I dunno. I just don't try to understand this prudish insanity.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
It sounds like there are plenty of alternate, and probably better, ways to fill the head space than this is taking up. And maybe add a bit of a splash of "This doesn't affect me, so who cares" in there too. The world needs just a little bit more of that these days, regarding the highly opinionated towards things that don't, and shouldn't, matter to them.

Spend your time worrying about actual problems, not this. For all you know there were people looking forward to this, and you're here all gleeful about "sticking it to the weebs" as it were.

Accurate to a shocking degree.

Edit: Furthermore, I have to ask...

This news is music to my ears, when people want more Japanese games people think of titles like Yakuza and Final Fantasy, not a game that represent the mistakes of the Vita and the Niche fanbase that rabidly defend this game.
I assume you are the ultimate and highly credited source to speak for all gamers in the world regarding this sort of thing? You have a link to all of their wishes and wants, and you know for a fact that the GamersTM are saying "DOWN WITH GAL GUN, MORE YAKUZA AND FINAL FANTASY!"... Or are you just imparting your own biased distaste for these games into your argument and treating it as fact?

Spoiler alert: I know the answer to this even if you don't, the stuff I said above in the edit are trick questions

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
At a guess: some morons try to pretend nudity/fanservice in games with adult characters is exactly the same as nudity/fanservice in games with school kids
No two games will have nudity be exactly the same because the context that the nudity will exist in will be game-specific so that is an asinine concern to have. You have to take each game by itself and see how it works, comparing it to how other games work because they both have nudity or fanservice ignores the greater context. Like for example, if you have nudity by an adult in a serious/realistic setting, versus fanservice by a teen in a comedic colorful cartoony setting, the thing each game is going for with those elements is so diametrically distinct that to deem one as better or worse than the other is to compare apples to oranges and makes no sense at all. And this is not even beginning to include the nuance that fanservice has in a lot of Japanese mediums, lots of which have a non-prudish view of sexual comedy, seeing it as merely amusing, even when it involves younger characters, which is just as valid as not seeing it as such. If you don't understand that you're not meant to get horny but just laugh at a lot of sexual fanservice gags, you are putting things on the content out of your own dirty little mind.

It's like when Malaysia is censoring the soles of the feet of anime chars when they do that overdramatic falling back over in shock with their feet sticking up style action because they find the soles of your feet lewd in malaysian culture so they put mosaic over them like it's genitals. Those shows aren't trying to titillate the good malaysians with those lewd feet, they're just trying to display a comedic reaction that is just meant to be funny.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No two games will have nudity be exactly the same because the context that the nudity will exist in will be game-specific so that is an asinine concern to have. You have to take each game by itself and see how it works, comparing it to how other games work because they both have nudity or fanservice ignores the greater context. Like for example, if you have nudity by an adult in a serious/realistic setting, versus fanservice by a teen in a comedic colorful cartoony setting, the thing each game is going for with those elements is so diametrically distinct that to deem one as better or worse than the other is to compare apples to oranges and makes no sense at all. And this is not even beginning to include the nuance that fanservice has in a lot of Japanese mediums, lots of which have a non-prudish view of sexual comedy, seeing it as merely amusing, even when it involves younger characters, which is just as valid as not seeing it as such. If you don't understand that you're not meant to get horny but just laugh at a lot of sexual fanservice gags, you are putting things on the content out of your own dirty little mind.

It's like when Malaysia is censoring the soles of the feet of anime chars when they do that overdramatic falling back over in shock with their feet sticking up style action because they find the soles of your feet lewd in malaysian culture so they put mosaic over them like it's genitals. Those shows aren't trying to titillate the good malaysians with those lewd feet, they're just trying to display a comedic reaction that is just meant to be funny.
And yet, they still get censored in Malaysia.

Which is kinda the point. The USA is not Japan. Titty fanservice games featuring high school children get more pushback than titty fanservice games featuring adults. They do in Japan too, a fact which tends to shock people

Reactions: MrCalavera

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Movies like american pie have the excuse of the character being underage but the actor really not being underage which makes it not creepy. Now, I fail to see how a character being a drawing instead of being portrayed by an of-age adult is more sinful when the characters in the story are underage in both cases, but...apparently it is? I dunno. I just don't try to understand this prudish insanity.
A) it *is* creepy, which is why they don't tend to get made all that often these days
B) they tend to be far less risqué than your average Gal Gun style fanservice game

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Which is kinda the point. The USA is not Japan. Titty fanservice games featuring high school children get more pushback than titty fanservice games featuring adults. They do in Japan too, a fact which tends to shock people

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
A) it *is* creepy, which is why they don't tend to get made all that often these days
B) they tend to be far less risqué than your average Gal Gun style fanservice game
Huh? Am I remembering american pie wrong? Cause that had actual tits and sexual situations and stuff? Gal Gun just has underwear shots and suggestive moaning lol. It's actually not allowed to show tits in Japanese console games at all, their rating board over there would rate it the equivalent of an AO rating.

No the point is that it's ridiculous to censor the soles of chars' feet when they're not doing anything sexual and are just falling down in surprise. That the malaysian viewer is projecting sexuality in a purely innocent scene because of the bias they came into the scene with. A bias which, if one wishes to be an open-minded western first world country enlightened person, would check at the door and tackle the medium with the correct understanding that it doesn't stem from their culture and hence need not be limited by its rules.

This is the way to tackle anything foreign. You do not juxtapose your own values on the thing. You open your mind and get to be educated in the culture IT stems from instead.

Since when did everything have to be localized and boiled down to conform to local norms? Don't we already have native content to do that sort of thing? Why even have foreign works if we will force them to be confined thus. Might as well just be isolated and monocultural if that's the approach we'll take to foreign art and expression.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah and I should have stayed quiet when Yakuza wasn't gonna get localized 10 years ago while these games were. Meanwhile they get hit by bad news like this and I am expected to show sympathy or pity? I would rather not endorse the legacy of a sub-genre of bad Japanese games be part of this generation of Consoles much like how much I dislike how the shovelware on Steam turns EGS to a beacon of money and free of problematic games.
I'd expect someone who likes Yakuza to have more of an appreciation of exploitation media.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Hhm. I've played the second game on Switch before, I thought it was a competent game though not ambitious in doing new things with rail shooters. Thought Chiru was a funny and cute (personality wise) character. The fan service is really tame so there's really no big deal with the game in that respect.

Though all that said, I mainly got the game to further support Inti Creates because that company makes great stuff. Gal Gun is actually an unusual series for them as most of their games are side scrollers. If you're a fan of peak Capcom style games then give their stuff a try.

Last edited:

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I'd expect someone who likes Yakuza to have more of an appreciation of exploitation media.
Difference Yakuza didn't ruined the reputation of Japanese games while games like Gal Gun did. Nobody but the most hardcore fans asked for these kinds of games. So I can't appreciate the fact that the industry had to deal with a bunch of bad cases that reduced the odds of localization.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Difference Yakuza didn't ruined the reputation of Japanese games while games like Gal Gun did. Nobody but the most hardcore fans asked for these kinds of games. So I can't appreciate the fact that the industry had to deal with a bunch of bad cases that reduced the odds of localization.
?????????????????????????

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Difference Yakuza didn't ruined the reputation of Japanese games while games like Gal Gun did.
...The reputation of Japanese games? It is a Japanese game. Fanservice and hentai involving underaged characters are straight-up Japanese in nature, because the Japanese make those things.

This is Japan's earned reputation.

You appear to be upset at Japan for ruining its own reputation.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
...The reputation of Japanese games? It is a Japanese game. Fanservice and hentai involving underaged characters are straight-up Japanese in nature, because the Japanese make those things.

This is Japan's earned reputation.

You appear to be upset at Japan for ruining its own reputation.
You do realize that a lot of american media did that too till rather recently, right? Except worse since we tended to do live action.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You do realize that a lot of american media did that too till rather recently, right? Except worse since we tended to do live action.
Yes.
The difference is I'm not under the false impression that there's any kind of honorable and noble reputation to uphold.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Huh? Am I remembering american pie wrong? Cause that had actual tits and sexual situations and stuff? Gal Gun just has underwear shots and suggestive moaning lol. It's actually not allowed to show tits in Japanese console games at all, their rating board over there would rate it the equivalent of an AO rating.
American Pie is 21 years old. If you think it didn't get pushback, you're naive
No the point is that it's ridiculous to censor the soles of chars' feet when they're not doing anything sexual and are just falling down in surprise. That the malaysian viewer is projecting sexuality in a purely innocent scene because of the bias they came into the scene with. A bias which, if one wishes to be an open-minded western first world country enlightened person, would check at the door and tackle the medium with the correct understanding that it doesn't stem from their culture and hence need not be limited by its rules.
"and that's why titty games starring children should be on every console or it's censorship"
Your ideals aren't the reality of the world. Malaysia is still going to censor the bottoms of feet, US corporations are still going to be skittish around child fanservice.
This is the way to tackle anything foreign. You do not juxtapose your own values on the thing. You open your mind and get to be educated in the culture IT stems from instead.
Importing exists for a reason.
Since when did everything have to be localized and boiled down to conform to local norms? Don't we already have native content to do that sort of thing? Why even have foreign works if we will force them to be confined thus. Might as well just be isolated and monocultural if that's the approach we'll take to foreign art and expression.
World's significantly more grey than "everything or nothing". Corporations want to make money. If they think a thing is going to cause them to make *less* money, they aren't going to do the thing.

Xbox wanted less-naked children, Pqube didn't, so there isn't going to be an Xbox release. That's the entire story

Reactions: Gyrobot

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yes.
The difference is I'm not under the false impression that there's any kind of honorable and noble reputation to uphold.
It sounds more like you are pretending that its only Japan that does these kinda things and that young woman aren't treated somewhat similar in a lot of places.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It sounds more like you are pretending that its only Japan that does these kinda things and that young woman aren't treated somewhat similar in a lot of places.
Don't worry, I'm not.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You sound like that one asshole (who's a nobody has done nothing worthwhile since) who said Suda 51's career would be ruined, because of the stupid Giggolo mode. FTR, nor he nor Grasshopper wanted the mode, you can blame Kawada Publishing for that one. They wanted fan-service "just cuz" and nothing else. Yet here he is with Travis Strikes Again and No More Heroes 3, so that was a steaming pile of bullshit. A few panty/titty games ain't ruining the entire "reputation" of Japanese gaming. If anyone else thinks that all Japanese gaming is Gal Gun, then they are ignorant motherfuckers that had no interests in any type of Japanese game to begin with. So quit smelling your own farts for God's sake. Get over yourself, it exists. Move on with your life and do something worthwhile instead of getting your underwear moist, because people on Xbox can't play it. Or getting a stick up your ass, because some guys/gals are enjoying a perverted game. It's there time and money, not yours, and sure as hell not my time. Still does not stop the other +1000 games with fan-service somewhere, Japanese or not.

World's significantly more grey than "everything or nothing". Corporations want to make money. If they think a thing is going to cause them to make *less* money, they aren't going to do the thing.
Don't bother with Dreiko, he has a habit of bending over backwards and overly defending all things Japanese. It's why I don't bother him much, but I call things out, if he says something really stupid and foolish.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble