Hello, Elliot Page

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bull.

Plenty of actors dont say shit about who they date.

Who is Seth Rogan dating?
Who is Henry Cavill with?

There are a ton of celebrities that dont advertise their every relationship.

The actors that do make posts strictly do it for the attention and nothing more.
And d'you think the story just doesn't happen for those people? The story gets broken in the gossip magazines instead, after paparazzi follow them around and dig through their trash.

The story will happen regardless. It simply will; that's the nature of being a public figure in the modern entertainment industry. Making a statement at least allows them to pre-empt others making the story for them.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bull.

Plenty of actors dont say shit about who they date.

Who is Seth Rogan dating?
Who is Henry Cavill with?

There are a ton of celebrities that dont advertise their every relationship.

The actors that do make posts strictly do it for the attention and nothing more.
No, actors all the time say who they date and if they don't then the paparazzi tend to spill it anyway.

Wuh? No they don't.
Yeah they kinda do. Actors can be draws in movies, if one makes a big change like this then people are going to wonder. Better for them to announce it then for them to just fade into the background when they aren't trying too. Plus it gets people interested in them and that can give more jobs.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
And d'you think the story just doesn't happen for those people? The story gets broken in the gossip magazines instead, after paparazzi follow them around and dig through their trash.

The story will happen regardless. It simply will; that's the nature of being a public figure in the modern entertainment industry. Making a statement at least allows them to pre-empt others making the story for them.
Controlling the spin, as they like to call it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No, actors all the time say who they date and if they don't then the paparazzi tend to spill it anyway.
Paparazzi are not the same thing as the actor themselves announcing something. That would be a different case and I would be on favor of respecting the privacy of the actor. However if you announce your every move publicly, then you forfeit your right to privacy in regards to that announcement.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Paparazzi are not the same thing as the actor themselves announcing something. That would be a different case and I would be on favor of respecting the privacy of the actor. However if you announce your every move publicly, then you forfeit your right to privacy in regards to that announcement.
Right, that's the point. If the actor announces it they have a chance to present things as they wish. If they don't and the newspapers find out, they spin it whichever way sells best, which is usually the most lurid, and the narrative is out of the actor's hands (worse "they've tried to hide their shame.")

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have doubts about that. I would bet if it was the paparazzi doing this, this stupid thread would be just as long and just as dumb. And the only people who should care beyond "this is a thing" are those that are imminently about to get into Elliot's pants.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have doubts about that. I would bet if it was the paparazzi doing this, this stupid thread would be just as long and just as dumb. And the only people who should care beyond "this is a thing" are those that are imminently about to get into Elliot's pants.
I mean other people might have still fought the debate, but I wouldn't have.

If i call in sick to work and then public post a picture of me partying at the beach on Facebook. I have no right to complain that my company fires me the next day, because I put out public information. That's my fault for being an idiot. If you want things private, then keep them private. Simple.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
If i call in sick to work and then public post a picture of me partying at the beach on Facebook. I have no right to complain that my company fires me the next day, because I put out public information.
Right, but that's because you've done something wrong; you've lied and been caught out because of your own stupidity. That doesn't work as an analogy here.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean other people might have still fought the debate, but I wouldn't have.

If i call in sick to work and then public post a picture of me partying at the beach on Facebook. I have no right to complain that my company fires me the next day, because I put out public information. That's my fault for being an idiot. If you want things private, then keep them private. Simple.
That would only be a good comparison if we also had a thread that went on entirely too long talking about your weird choice to skip work/fuck up.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Right, but that's because you've done something wrong; you've lied and been caught out because of your own stupidity. That doesn't work as an analogy here.
It does apply because it's a public post you've made. Deliberately for the public to see and acknowledge. You can't turn around and then claim it private.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It does apply because it's a public post you've made. Deliberately for the public to see and acknowledge. You can't turn around and then claim it private.
Then a part of your analogy is superfluous or was inserted just to artificially inflate the validity of your argument. The fact is truths about Elliot's life have been made public, either by his own volition or otherwise, whereas in your analogy a lie was discovered and made accidentally public due to the carelessness of the liar.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
What? Why would I think any of that is a sin?
Because that's how you're framing it. You're suggesting that Page making public announcements about a relationship status is the same as you lying and being caught out. He hasn't lied or been caught out in something shameful. The analogy doesn't work.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What? Why would I think any of that is a sin?
Because your analogy assumed someone with malicious intent, i.e.: someone knowingly lying, then stupidly broadcasting the truth versus someone being publicly truthful and being judged and assumed about over it.

Edit:
Because that's how you're framing it. You're suggesting that Page making public announcements about a relationship status is the same as you lying and being caught out. He hasn't lied or been caught out in something shameful. The analogy doesn't work.
Ninja'd

Reactions: Worgen and Baffle

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ok fair enough.

Really my only point is, don't post things online you'd rather people not know or talk about. End of story. I bid you all farewell.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ok fair enough.

Really my only point is, don't post things online you'd rather people not know or talk about. End of story. I bid you all farewell.
But Page isn't expecting people to "not know" about his trans status, or his gender, or his relationship. He literally made a statement so people would know. He just doesn't want endless further invasion of privacy.

Telling people one thing means you can't then keep that specific thing secret, obviously, but he didn't do that. Telling people one thing doesn't also mean you forfeit your right to privacy across the board.