Black Myth: Wukong gameplay; I don't get the hype?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You people are just assuming that. But, you can see what they were going for. I mean black myths. Monkeys. C'mon. Seems kinda racist...
To us it would certainly seem sketchy. The Chinese - and indeed most of Asia - could not give shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, well if you don't think it's racist to call black people monkeys, that's for you to decide.
I'm aware that racist term. So don't treat me like a fucking imbecile. I am black, remember? But once again, believe whatever you want about this game. You do realize Journey to the West had been around for over a 1000 years right? You are one the pointing out racism that is not even close to there.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I haven't watched that so I have no idea what their portrayal of him is like. Honestly, he's been told and interpreted in countless ways in various media.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little or have a biased view but lets go over a little of his backstory.

He's originally a monkey born from a rock. He's happy, get along with the other monkeys on the mountain he was born until he witnesses the death of one of his fellow monkeys. This leads him to search for immortality and leads to him training under a Taoist master. He gets powerful and becomes rather prideful.

He decides he needs a weapon worthy of himself, so he rocks up to the palace of one of the Dragon Gods controlling the seas and demand they give him something. Nothing satisfies him and he eventually gets his signature staff which is actually one of the pillars holding up the seas. He also extorted a bunch of other artifacts from there.

The gods aren't too happy about some random upstart going around stealing stuff so he's sent to hell. But he's too powerful so he ransacks hell and erases his name and those of his fellow monkeys from the books containing the recorded lifespans of mortals.

The gods then decide he's too much trouble and offer him a place in heaven and decide it's better to try to keep him in control. Yeah sure the gods were looking down on him and basically gave him a low honorary position and it was pretty patronizing. Wukong eventually realizes this, gets upset and decides to just wreck the place. Fun thing here is that the execution attempts used by he gods on him just made him even stronger. He also stole and consumed other immortality granting macguffins such as the immortality peaches and elixir of longevity.

When Buddha shows up, he straight up challenges the Buddha which leads to his eventual loss and being pinned under the five fingered mountain where he had to wait 500 years for the arrival of Tang Sanzang.

Most of the above conflicts were basically instigated by him. Also throughout the Journey itself, the guy had loads of anger issues. Granted he was right a lot of the time, he had mystical eyes that allowed him to see through demon disguises but his master just saw a mad monkey trying to beat up innocent humans. Maybe his master should've trusted him more, but Wukong should've learned to be a bit more diplomatic about such issues too.

Maybe he's not as terrible as I'm making him sound. I don't think he's outright villainous or completely malicious, but he's not quite just a loveable jokester either. He is fairly omnipotent in terms of his powers which has led him to pride and hubris.

I love this show but bear in mind this is the dub, it was the 70s and Cocaine was a thing.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm aware that racist term. So don't treat me like a fucking imbecile. I am black, remember? But once again, believe whatever you want about this game. You do realize Journey to the West had been around for over a 1000 years right? You are one the pointing out racism that is not even close to there.
Okay, simmer down. I'm just screwing around. I don't really think the game is racist or doing cultural appropriation. And yes, I know the history of Journey to the West, I've read a translation of it myself.

I don't have the ethnicities of all the members on the Escapist memorized, either. It's not like it's listed on the profile.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, simmer down. I'm just screwing around. I don't really think the game is racist or doing cultural appropriation.
Please don't ever do that again. I had to deal with shit like that sometimes on the IMDB forums.

I don't have the ethnicities of all the members on the Escapist memorized, either. It's not like it's listed on the profile.
Now you know.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Please don't ever do that again. I had to deal with shit like that sometimes on the IMDB forums.
I can't make any promises. Sometimes I like to make outrageous claims as fact, and if someone takes it seriously, well you gotta roll with it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
You people are just assuming that. But, you can see what they were going for. I mean black myths. Monkeys. C'mon. Seems kinda racist...
I'm not sure if you're trolling but if not wao, just wao. And no I'm not assuming, it's an educated guess, the other guy who speaks Cantonese here clarified and he agreed with me. If you don't speak either Cantonese or Japanese you're the one assuming here. We're inferring.

Also Wukong is baddass so even if he's a monkey in my book it's still a compliment to be described to be akin to him either way. So yeah, doubly wrong.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if you're trolling but if not wao, just wao. And no I'm not assuming, it's an educated guess, the other guy who speaks Cantonese here clarified and he agreed with me. If you don't speak either Cantonese or Japanese you're the one assuming here. We're inferring.
I don't need to speak Cantonese, I can speak subtext and, let me assure you, it's there my friend.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dude, stop, you're making me laugh at work, it's gonna get me in trouble if you keep this up.
Disclaimer: Neither the Escapist nor it's users bear any liability for any injury or termination of employment that may result from reading or interacting with the Escapist forums.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, I'm still not really sure why this is getting so much attention
I feel like people are(or were, are people still banging on about this?) making an extra fuss just because it's coming from somewhere relatively unusual. China hasn't really been a place where these sorta massive high budget first party titles come from. Which is slightly odd really considering a lot of creative-industry work does get outsourced there, and we have companies like 10cent with massive global reach. But it's gotta happen eventually. And heck, Genshin Impact was all the bloody rage for a while and that's a Chinese thing. They've been making plenty of headway in the mobile gaming space too.

Anyway people don't really kick up a fuss when a random European country releases a game so I really can't be fucked to give this an extra fuss. I think I'd like a more accurate portrayal of Journey to the West(as opposed to something nonsensical like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West), and it'd be nice that someone's giving it a good shake no matter which country it comes from.

But it's still too early, and there's been too many trailers and early footage that are completely unindicative of the final product anyway. I'll care about it when it comes out, is in a language I understand and is accessible enough for me to play it. I don't think it really deserves any special attention in particular.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I'm still not really sure why this is getting so much attention
I can see the appeal; people love Journey to the West. I am not in to Souls style combat, but it's clearly taking more from Ni-Oh though. I still would have preferred a more traditional action game a la DMC or God of War.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
What attention. I've literally never seen anyone talking about this game ever. Not on Ign, Gamespot, Kotaku, Polygon, nowhere, who is talking about this thing?
When the first trailers came out anyway, just about every gaming journalism outlet had an article about it and a lot of youtubers were reacting to it. I think it's died down a lot since then, but it definitely had a somewhat abnormal amount of buzz for a time.