Black Myth: Wukong gameplay; I don't get the hype?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I would have preffered a DMC/Ninja Gaiden type action game too.
Wait, how does this not look like a DNC/ninja gaiden type game? It seems much closer to those then Dark Souls or Sekiro. Outside of the visual style.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
It looks decently fun from the video. The combat looks intriguing with the amount of different abilities the character has though it also looks like the main character is OPed because of them as well (which can work).
I mean...this is Sun Wukong we're talking about here. That monkey is OP.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It seems much closer to those then Dark Souls or Sekiro.
Articles about the game said that it would be Action-PRG game similar to Dark Souls. While there are a bit more action game elements, it's clear there is a Souls and Ni-oh vibe. Especially the latter.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Articles about the game said that it would be Action-PRG game similar to Dark Souls. While there are a bit more action game elements, it's clear there is a Souls and Ni-oh vibe. Especially the latter.
I defiantly feel that vibe from the visuals, but gameplay to me looks much more similar to something like DMC, where its more freeform and less deliberate than something like the souls series.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I defiantly feel that vibe from the visuals, but gameplay to me looks much more similar to something like DMC, where its more freeform and less deliberate than something like the souls series.
We'll see how it goes. Until there's a playable demo and one of us have us a play it. I'm going to assume it is more NIOH like than DMC like.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is from a chinese studio, right? Yeah, red flags right there, and not because of their history in cheap knock-offs. I'd rather stay the fuck away from any entertainment from China, seeing as the chinese communist party very likely has its icky finger in it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wasn't Sun Wukong a Chinese myth, not a black one? That sounds like cultural appropriation to me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Either way, I'm just glad to see China making things other than crap phone games.
Funny you say that, because the first thing I thought when I saw this game was "Wow, this is exactly like those bullshit Chinese mobile game ads, but actually (maybe) real!".

Anyways, meh. I agree with the paid bots and everything. I'm sure there is some real hype from Chinese folk, but honestly I don't see much to be interested in.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Wasn't Sun Wukong a Chinese myth, not a black one? That sounds like cultural appropriation to me.
The Journey to the West is definitely Chinese. I think this game is aiming to tackle it in a more dark fantasy setting or something along those lines.

I don't speak Chinese so I may be completely wrong but in Japanese white and black are allegories for good and evil in this sort of context so that's what I took from the title. The whole light and darkness, yin and yang, that kind of thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man I don't even know if I could play another game like Ninja Gaiden. I had burning hands from playing Celeste, I'm not sure if a Ninja Gaiden game would be much better for me.
More so the former in terms of gameplay style. I highly doubt anyone's ever going to make another ninja Guy game that difficult. Though I do hear the samurai Jack game is pretty difficult. As a whole bunch of former ninja gaiden developers who worked on it. So there's that.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
The Journey to the West is definitely Chinese. I think this game is aiming to tackle it in a more dark fantasy setting or something along those lines.

I don't speak Chinese so I may be completely wrong but in Japanese white and black are allegories for good and evil in this sort of context so that's what I took from the title. The whole light and darkness, yin and yang, that kind of thing.
I only speak Cantonese(and according to my parents, badly) but AFAIK we don't have a separate word for black or dark. When referring to the colour black specifically, we'll say something is dark coloured. We do use the word black/dark to refer to stuff like bad luck. Not so much for evil, but I guess we can refer to someone cruel as having a dark heart.

But like I feel it isn't worth mincing words over too much. Black Myth, Dark Myth, whatever I think the intention is fairly clear. If anyone is familiar with the original story, Wukong was honestly not a nice character. He was a prideful dick, caused a lot of trouble which is what led him to be pinned under a mountain and fated to go on the titular Journey to the West to redeem himself. He usually has a more good or heroic portrayal, and even the newer Chinese movies that cover his origin story try to rewrite the story to put him in a far more positive light. I think the intention of the game might be to cover just how much of a villain he was initially, thus a Black Myth.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
It's a Chinese studio pushing into western audiences. Expect a LOT more in the future when big AAA studies crash and burn (soon Rockstar, RIP). China doesn't have PC, PS or XBOX gaming, it's mostly a mobile-game exclusive zone.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I only speak Cantonese(and according to my parents, badly) but AFAIK we don't have a separate word for black or dark. When referring to the colour black specifically, we'll say something is dark coloured. We do use the word black/dark to refer to stuff like bad luck. Not so much for evil, but I guess we can refer to someone cruel as having a dark heart.

But like I feel it isn't worth mincing words over too much. Black Myth, Dark Myth, whatever I think the intention is fairly clear. If anyone is familiar with the original story, Wukong was honestly not a nice character. He was a prideful dick, caused a lot of trouble which is what led him to be pinned under a mountain and fated to go on the titular Journey to the West to redeem himself. He usually has a more good or heroic portrayal, and even the newer Chinese movies that cover his origin story try to rewrite the story to put him in a far more positive light. I think the intention of the game might be to cover just how much of a villain he was initially, thus a Black Myth.
My only exposure to the myth was the old Japanese tv show “Monkey”. I think they included a lot of that but while Monkey was prideful he came across more like a cocky but loveable jokester than the ignoble braggart you and the game appear to be describing.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
My only exposure to the myth was the old Japanese tv show “Monkey”. I think they included a lot of that but while Monkey was prideful he came across more like a cocky but loveable jokester than the ignoble braggart you and the game appear to be describing.
I haven't watched that so I have no idea what their portrayal of him is like. Honestly, he's been told and interpreted in countless ways in various media.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little or have a biased view but lets go over a little of his backstory.

He's originally a monkey born from a rock. He's happy, get along with the other monkeys on the mountain he was born until he witnesses the death of one of his fellow monkeys. This leads him to search for immortality and leads to him training under a Taoist master. He gets powerful and becomes rather prideful.

He decides he needs a weapon worthy of himself, so he rocks up to the palace of one of the Dragon Gods controlling the seas and demand they give him something. Nothing satisfies him and he eventually gets his signature staff which is actually one of the pillars holding up the seas. He also extorted a bunch of other artifacts from there.

The gods aren't too happy about some random upstart going around stealing stuff so he's sent to hell. But he's too powerful so he ransacks hell and erases his name and those of his fellow monkeys from the books containing the recorded lifespans of mortals.

The gods then decide he's too much trouble and offer him a place in heaven and decide it's better to try to keep him in control. Yeah sure the gods were looking down on him and basically gave him a low honorary position and it was pretty patronizing. Wukong eventually realizes this, gets upset and decides to just wreck the place. Fun thing here is that the execution attempts used by he gods on him just made him even stronger. He also stole and consumed other immortality granting macguffins such as the immortality peaches and elixir of longevity.

When Buddha shows up, he straight up challenges the Buddha which leads to his eventual loss and being pinned under the five fingered mountain where he had to wait 500 years for the arrival of Tang Sanzang.

Most of the above conflicts were basically instigated by him. Also throughout the Journey itself, the guy had loads of anger issues. Granted he was right a lot of the time, he had mystical eyes that allowed him to see through demon disguises but his master just saw a mad monkey trying to beat up innocent humans. Maybe his master should've trusted him more, but Wukong should've learned to be a bit more diplomatic about such issues too.

Maybe he's not as terrible as I'm making him sound. I don't think he's outright villainous or completely malicious, but he's not quite just a loveable jokester either. He is fairly omnipotent in terms of his powers which has led him to pride and hubris.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I haven't watched that so I have no idea what their portrayal of him is like. Honestly, he's been told and interpreted in countless ways in various media.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little or have a biased view but lets go over a little of his backstory.

He's originally a monkey born from a rock. He's happy, get along with the other monkeys on the mountain he was born until he witnesses the death of one of his fellow monkeys. This leads him to search for immortality and leads to him training under a Taoist master. He gets powerful and becomes rather prideful.

He decides he needs a weapon worthy of himself, so he rocks up to the palace of one of the Dragon Gods controlling the seas and demand they give him something. Nothing satisfies him and he eventually gets his signature staff which is actually one of the pillars holding up the seas. He also extorted a bunch of other artifacts from there.

The gods aren't too happy about some random upstart going around stealing stuff so he's sent to hell. But he's too powerful so he ransacks hell and erases his name and those of his fellow monkeys from the books containing the recorded lifespans of mortals.

The gods then decide he's too much trouble and offer him a place in heaven and decide it's better to try to keep him in control. Yeah sure the gods were looking down on him and basically gave him a low honorary position and it was pretty patronizing. Wukong eventually realizes this, gets upset and decides to just wreck the place. Fun thing here is that the execution attempts used by he gods on him just made him even stronger. He also stole and consumed other immortality granting macguffins such as the immortality peaches and elixir of longevity.

When Buddha shows up, he straight up challenges the Buddha which leads to his eventual loss and being pinned under the five fingered mountain where he had to wait 500 years for the arrival of Tang Sanzang.

Most of the above conflicts were basically instigated by him. Also throughout the Journey itself, the guy had loads of anger issues. Granted he was right a lot of the time, he had mystical eyes that allowed him to see through demon disguises but his master just saw a mad monkey trying to beat up innocent humans. Maybe his master should've trusted him more, but Wukong should've learned to be a bit more diplomatic about such issues too.

Maybe he's not as terrible as I'm making him sound. I don't think he's outright villainous or completely malicious, but he's not quite just a loveable jokester either. He is fairly omnipotent in terms of his powers which has led him to pride and hubris.
He sounds like a pretty proto-typical Trickster archetype, snubbing his nose, and probably ass (he is a monkey) at the gods, to shake up the system. Most pantheons have such a being in their ranks, to represent the instigator of change and chaos. Usually, they are shown to be mostly good beings, if an asshole. The examples you gave remind me of some of the plethora of stories about Coyote Old Man, turning tricks back on the trickster, etc.

They usually also tend to, like I said, be something of an asshole, and have a change of heart, though it usually takes an effort to do so, like the J2tW ordeal.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think they mean Black Myth=Dark Myth. Not black in terms of race or skin color.

You people are just assuming that. But, you can see what they were going for. I mean black myths. Monkeys. C'mon. Seems kinda racist...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You people are just assuming that. The whole thing seems kinda racist to me. I mean black myths. Monkeys. C'mon.
Dude, you're really stretching it and overthinking it. Black does not always means racists. Black is only a negative connotation, if you want it to be.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dude, you're really stretching it and overthinking it. Black does not always means racists. Black is only a negative connotation, if you want it to be.
Ok, well if you don't think it's racist to call black people monkeys, that's for you to decide.