Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I've talked about it a few times in the past on here, and it's probably the only example I can think of first thing in the morning...
Star Fox Zero.
I often disagree that the motion controls were that bad. It's a game with a learning curve, and once you learn how your laser fire moves with the way you tilt the controller, you don't even need the bottom screen 95% of the time. Though I 100% understand why folk don't like that sort of gameplay or control. I didn't mind it personally

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've talked about it a few times in the past on here, and it's probably the only example I can think of first thing in the morning...
Star Fox Zero.
I often disagree that the motion controls were that bad. It's a game with a learning curve, and once you learn how your laser fire moves with the way you tilt the controller, you don't even need the bottom screen 95% of the time. Though I 100% understand why folk don't like that sort of gameplay or control. I didn't mind it personally
If I didn't add Star Fox Adventures on my list, there's a chance I could have added Zero.

I'm mixed on the control part. Like, on one hand, the Arwing controls better in this game than it's ever done before, and I kind of enjoyed the pad aspects of it (e.g. flying through the invisible holes to face Andross). On the other hand, the Landmaster controlled worse, and the Gyrowing...bleh. That's not to mention the chicken walker aspect. So, of the four vehicles, we have one that controls excellently (Arwing), one that controls terribly (the Gyrowing), and two that are very mixed (Landmaster, Walker).

On the flipside, there's the story. It's yet another damn reboot that does nothing interesting with the original premise.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
If I didn't add Star Fox Adventures on my list, there's a chance I could have added Zero.

I'm mixed on the control part. Like, on one hand, the Arwing controls better in this game than it's ever done before, and I kind of enjoyed the pad aspects of it (e.g. flying through the invisible holes to face Andross). On the other hand, the Landmaster controlled worse, and the Gyrowing...bleh. That's not to mention the chicken walker aspect. So, of the four vehicles, we have one that controls excellently (Arwing), one that controls terribly (the Gyrowing), and two that are very mixed (Landmaster, Walker).

On the flipside, there's the story. It's yet another damn reboot that does nothing interesting with the original premise.
Honestly, I really liked everything except for the Gyrowing. My big problem with the Landmaster in 64 3D is the smoother points of aim with the circle pad made it tricky to aim, 64 had more stepped aiming positions when aiming vertically that was better for me. In Zero, it was perfect since I could move independently of my aim now, without my reticle being affected by my position. The walker was also really cool, I didn't mind the way it handled. The aiming deadzone was a bit beefy though

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Resident Evil 3 Remake - I admit the game has problems, but it's still good. Just not as good as RE2Remake. Some of these critics and Youtubers highly exaggerate or go overboard on the flaws of the game. With how they acted, you would think the game shot their parents or something. REsitance still sucked big time. I have yet to install it and never will.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Circle of Fire Kingdom of Doom. Great Xbox360, also Jane's Defense Fighters.

Kingdom under Fire Circle of doom

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
Alpha Protocol - This game has a lot of problems. It has a lot of bugs because it's a 7th Gen Obsidian game, and the special abilities make it feel very arcadey which clashes horribly with the realistic artstyle and setting while trying to tell a dark modern story. And it really doesn't play very well with half baked cover shooting and button mashing hand to hand combat. However, it's also hilarious to play because the story has a very tongue in cheek delivery combined with protagonist Mike Thorton's voice lines that are full of sarcasm and dry one-liners.

Even better, the game lets you play Thorton as a wise-cracking asshole or a complete raging sociopath and it doesn't punish you for it. You want to insult your handlers every chance you get just because you hate them? Go for it, you even get bonuses depending on how much your support characters love you or hate you. You want to kill every named character you come across just because you don't give a fuck? Nothing's stopping you and often the dialogue you get in response will be unintentionally funny. You want to play an aggressive heterosexual where you go out of your way to shit on every guy you meet and sleep with every available woman? Have fun and don't catch anything! It's one of the few games where your choices in game and through dialogue will have tangible effects on things going forward, and half the fun is just trying whatever dialogue options you want and seeing what happens.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Curse you Inazuma. Four pages in, and I think I'm going to get to be the first person to post about Alpha Protocol. Ah, well.

Instead, I'll have to throw my hat in the ring for...Mass Effect: Andromeda. Let me begin by saying the obvious: It is easily the weakest Mass Effect game, and nowhere near the quality of the original trilogy (which happens to be my favorite video game trilogy of all time, so definitely some bias there for me). That said, I enjoyed quite a few of the characters in the game (Vetra Nyx is a very fun character to me), and while the story was not as good as the original, I still found it serviceable, and it never really felt like I was forcing myself to continue with the game out of obligation, and several of the story elements were quite decent. I'm not going to rave about it, saying it's a great game, but I feel like it is treated like a worse game than it actually is. It's not the best, but if it didn't have the Bioware name on it, I feel like it wouldn't have been as lambasted.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Back to the Future for the NES. I know it's bad and it's wrong of me to like it, but I do. I played it as a kid a lot and it's very nostalgic for me. The running sections have a decent flow and it's fun to glide through on your skateboard destroying everything with your baseball. I even like the bloopy looping song that plays for the entire game. I've never beat it though. The DeLorean section is impossible and completely unfair. It's hard enough to reach that point in the game, but then you need to dodge lightning bolts in a split second at insane speeds and be going 88 at the finish line. If you do perfect for the whole run and get hit just before the end that's it. And you only get 1 try no matter how many lives you have. It sucks and I can't do it. I think I've made it to that point 3 times over the course of my life.

Last edited:

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
Curse you Inazuma. Four pages in, and I think I'm going to get to be the first person to post about Alpha Protocol. Ah, well.
Always happy to wreck someone else's plans and piss on the remains. Thank you for using Annoy-U Inc. "We Piss You Off For Less! Now get the fuck out!"

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Medal of Honor: Warfighter

The campaign was a complete dumpster fire. However, the online multiplayer was the best FPS multiplayer of PS3/360 gen. It probably still has the best FPS controls with being able to both lean and slide (I don't recall another FPS with both of those mechanics, which should honestly be standard mechanics). The gun balance was pretty on-point. The TTK (time to kill) was basically fucking perfect, just enough health to fire back at someone basically spraying and win the gunfight while being able to takedown another place rather quickly if you're aim was on-point.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Medal of Honor: Warfighter

The campaign was a complete dumpster fire. However, the online multiplayer was the best FPS multiplayer of PS3/360 gen. It probably still has the best FPS controls with being able to both lean and slide (I don't recall another FPS with both of those mechanics, which should honestly be standard mechanics). The gun balance was pretty on-point. The TTK (time to kill) was basically fucking perfect, just enough health to fire back at someone basically spraying and win the gunfight while being able to takedown another place rather quickly if you're aim was on-point.
There was a COD game that came out around that time that had a really good lean that worked if you were against a wall and aimed down sights, it was super handy in Multi. Unfortunately I don't remember which one that was, I don't think it was BLOPS 2, but it might have been, it also might have been Advanced Warfare or maybe even Ghost. I just don't recall offhand.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

By no means do I consider them perfect (And yes the stealth sections in the 2nd are garbage), but I guess I wasn't invested enough in old school CAstlevania for the lore to bother me.

Lots of neat ideas, some less unique then others. Not super-realized well at times, but it was fucKonami in the 2010s so thats to be expected.

Probably helps that I'm also not terribly familiar with God of War or DMC (which is what the first and second one respectively were kind of cribbing off of)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

The main plot of the game is cliche and occasionally weapons grade stupid. Character creation is limited and sadly the protagonist is mute - which I hate with the power of a thousand suns - and sadly for an RPG like this there's no genuine romances available which is something I kind of appreciate in these epic sagas.

But its just so charmingly earnest in playing all its fantasy tropes to the hilt and even doing some interesting, the ability to cross class at will just by putting points in the basic three RPG stats means you can have some real fun with how you use your OP powers to kill everything. Also the crafting system is gamebreaking but in a fun way. Also, I'll dump on the critical path all day but lots of the side objectives would be whole games in and of themselves. And there's a shit load of game here, its DLC was very extensive and had lots of fun stuff - building your keep was especially good fun - and the art style isn't hyper real so its aged reasonably well.

If you can get it cheap - I recommend no more than $20 or so for the whole magilla - and can groove on its wavelength you'll have a good time.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Mostly suffers from the bad look of the franchise after spending the entire 360/PS3 generation struggling to get back to the form that made it so stellar in the previous generation (Chaos Theory was the Xbox/PS2 hardware’s money shot and all around brilliant game.) Blacklist is easily the second best installment of the franchise, but when they ousted Michael Ironside as the iconic voice of Sam Fisher, franchise fans had had enough, and Blacklist never got a fair shake. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me” syndrome; I say that because I was one of those people who'd lost any semblance of trust; didn’t touch Blacklist for over a year from its release, and when I finally did, I was utterly flabbergasted that I’d denied myself the best Splinter Cell game in almost 8 years and an entire console generation.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Mass Effect 3. I don't think I need to elaborate why it is hated; but I love the Vangard's fast-paced gameplay.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
There was a COD game that came out around that time that had a really good lean that worked if you were against a wall and aimed down sights, it was super handy in Multi. Unfortunately I don't remember which one that was, I don't think it was BLOPS 2, but it might have been, it also might have been Advanced Warfare or maybe even Ghost. I just don't recall offhand.
At least one of the BFs had that same kind of leaning, which I'm not a fan of. I like to be able to lean whenever I want and doing it even in the open is pretty useful as you can use it to correct your aim if you're just a little bit off without risk of over correcting plus you're "moving" making it just a bit tougher for the other player to hit you.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Mostly suffers from the bad look of the franchise after spending the entire 360/PS3 generation struggling to get back to the form that made it so stellar in the previous generation (Chaos Theory was the Xbox/PS2 hardware’s money shot and all around brilliant game.) Blacklist is easily the second best installment of the franchise, but when they ousted Michael Ironside as the iconic voice of Sam Fisher, franchise fans had had enough, and Blacklist never got a fair shake. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me” syndrome; I say that because I was one of those people who'd lost any semblance of trust; didn’t touch Blacklist for over a year from its release, and when I finally did, I was utterly flabbergasted that I’d denied myself the best Splinter Cell game in almost 8 years and an entire console generation.
Blacklist is pretty damn awesome, the online could've been better though. I only played the 1st game before Blacklist so I had no attachment to Michael Ironside.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
You speak big truthes. If they remastered it with just Michael Ironside replacing the other dude, I honestly would consider it the best of the series.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably helps that I'm also not terribly familiar with God of War or DMC (which is what the first and second one respectively were kind of cribbing off of)
Ironic, because Hideki Kamiya is a big fan of Castlevania (the original is his favorite), and partially based DMC off of that. The Lords of Shadow games got plenty of fans; it's certain overzealous old-school CV fans who talk too loud and too much. I bet they regret having no more good CV games after LoS 2.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mass Effect 3. I don't think I need to elaborate why it is hated; but I love the Vangard's fast-paced gameplay.
I have a shameful amount of hours sunk into Mass Effect 3, I don't care about the ending any more - well, not since I installed the Happy Ending Mod.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I think it's popular to hate on due to a 10minute final conversation, but generally accepted it was a good actual game.