Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I am mostly getting pissed at how much pointless faux-imagery there is there, as if Justice League won't be anything but a traditional superhero movie with an unusually bad case of washed out colors and smash cuts. Why is Batman portrayed as a martyr? Why is Wonder Woman posed like a medieval knight painting? Does anybody really care that Snyder has a massive hard on the size of Manhattan for Superman-as-Jesus allegory? Why is the Flash posed in a crucified pose on a clock with a Caduceus beside him? And who thought it was a good idea to have Aquaman sitting down in a passive pose that only makes him look bored instead of something more dynamic?

I am getting Sucker Punch vibes all over again, with its overwrought imagery and "icons" that turned out to have no actual bearing on the actual plot, mental state of the protagonist or anything else beside Snyder thinking it was really cool to combine WW1/2 aesthetics with miniskirts and mechas. The sooner this thing flops, the sooner we can bury the idea that Snyder has any greater artistic vision with Justice League.
I'm the opposite because honestly, it's real life shitposting at this stage. It's Zack Snyder shitposting up a storm pretty much because I've seen quite a few other works try to pull off this artsy bullshit to pretend to be elevated works that I can't help but think Zack Snyder knows this is dumb for a comic book film and is doing it deliberately to poke people who were all on about how no-one needed or wanted the Snyder Cut and how it didn't matter and shouldn't happen. A sort of "yeh well everyone else uses this kind of arty farty imagery for silly stuff and people lap it up so I'm gonna do it just to show how dumb it is".

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm the opposite because honestly, it's real life shitposting at this stage. It's Zack Snyder shitposting up a storm pretty much because I've seen quite a few other works try to pull off this artsy bullshit to pretend to be elevated works that I can't help but think Zack Snyder knows this is dumb for a comic book film and is doing it deliberately to poke people who were all on about how no-one needed or wanted the Snyder Cut and how it didn't matter and shouldn't happen. A sort of "yeh well everyone else uses this kind of arty farty imagery for silly stuff and people lap it up so I'm gonna do it just to show how dumb it is".
I hope this is the case, but honestly looking back at Snyder's previous work and what he's said interviews, I have a bad feeling the man is dead serious about all the shit he does.

Anyway, it's a long shot, but Snyder needs to up the action in the movie. For a man who only got the job for his trademark flashy action sequences, BvS and Justice League were heavily lacking in interesting fight scenes. The Batman warehouse scene is the only memorable one. I've given up any hope for the story, so just give us some cool comic book action.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hated BvS with, frankly more energy than it deserved, but that sequence was some fucking God Tier Batman action. Utterly fantastic.
It was. Too bad they released a trailer containing like 30% of it, I remember feeling so disappointed when it ended.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

The second teaser looks like it was the ending of the climax.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
What's the deal with the 4:3 format? Is this the ghost story or the lighthouse of superhero movies?
I understand it was filmed in that format and that way he doesn't have to crop anything out.

Snyder obviously took the opportunity to finish the movie on his terms as a chance to indulge in all his stylistic obsessions. The movie is four hours long, filmed in 4:3 format, has a fucking intermission in the middle and will eventually release in an alternate black and white version. With what the guys been though, I do think he deserves it but it's obviously also the work of someone who has accepted that he's basically just making this for himself and a small group of diehard fans of his work. Like his stuff or not, you gotta admire the audacity of it. Of course I have an easy time saying that, because I do like his stuff.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I was figuring it was 4:3 so they didn't need to do as much CGI.
4:3 can also be bigger than 16:9. You can crop 4:3 to a widescreen format like 16:9 or the cinema aspect ratio of 37:2 by chopping off the top and bottom of the image, which appears to be how the original cut of Justice League was produced.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, considering his past work I really don't think Zach Snyder has that kind of self-awareness.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Final Trailer before release

This guy with Lightning Powers that we see in this Ancient Battle against Steppenwolf in the trailer. Is this meant to be Shazam, not Billy Batson but an ancient person that was blessed by the Wizard with the powers of Shazam?

Reactions: Alienware

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'm pretty excited for this. I mean I get excited for anything comicbook adaptation wise, but for this I'm really looking forward to it either being great or a monumental dumpster fire. No dog in the fight either way, just think it's a neat to see WB back off and let someone actually finish their comic adaptation/vision whatever. I don't like Zack Snyders films. I can't think of a single one I liked outside of feeling like 300 was pretty faithful to the comics.. though it wasn't hard to do. The comic is so barebones someone like Snyder, whos better at cinematics than writing, was perfect for it. I just don't think Zack could write his way out of a wet paper bag. I thought the Watchmen adaptation was especially tone-deaf regarding the source material. Again though, who knows. It'll at least be cool to see something close to his complete vision...whatever that is.

I'm also kinda curious to see how critics approach it. Will they go in prepared to rip it apart? I vaguely remember there being this sorta back lash at fans for clamoring for it, but I can't remember the logic. I know moviebob ranted endlessly during his crazier phase on escapist about how fans who wanted a snyder cut were all Incels or something.

*edit - actually I loved Dawn Of the Dead. Looking forward to Army.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Black Adam is the sort to join with other factions and heroes to stop a threat like Darkseid?
Well he was a great hero prior to his turn to evil, so it’s not outside the realm of possibility that one of his heroic deeds was helping drive off the forces of Apokolips.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
This guy with Lightning Powers that we see in this Ancient Battle against Steppenwolf in the trailer. Is this meant to be Shazam, not Billy Batson but an ancient person that was blessed by the Wizard with the powers of Shazam?
I can't seem to load the picture you attached, but I'm pretty sure that's Zeus? That's not a new shot either, it was in theatrical release too.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Black Adam is the sort to join with other factions and heroes to stop a threat like Darkseid?
If we're going with the modern interpretation, yeah. He's a bit more of a wild card these days. He'd help if the world under attack. I don't see it. The ears are a staple of his character, I'm going with Hercules or some similar character.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If we're going with the modern interpretation, yeah. He's a bit more of a wild card these days. He'd help if the world under attack. I don't see it. The ears are a staple of his character, I'm going with Hercules or some similar character.
Not to mention The Rock has been cast as Black Adam already, with his own movie well on the way apparently. Would be pretty weird to throw in a cameo using a different actor.