Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
As much as I’m not really big on seeing this crap, I do hope it succeeds for Zack because fuck knows he and his wife could do with a win. I mean it won’t give them what they ultimately want but if it helps them heal in some way, then that justifies its existence completely.

I mean, John Stewart was right there. Means you could have had a Green Lantern people actually recognise positively in diversified the cast without stealing from the Teen Titans.
Don't forget Black Lightning or Static Shock, though Static could be a Teen Titan.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Don't forget Black Lightning or Static Shock, though Static could be a Teen Titan.
Static would be an excellent addition to the Teen Titans. Black Lightning is already a member of the Justice League, but I’m not sure how he’d fit in as a member of the founding seven.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As much as I’m not really big on seeing this crap, I do hope it succeeds for Zack because fuck knows he and his wife could do with a win. I mean it won’t give them what they ultimately want but if it helps them heal in some way, then that justifies its existence completely.
The thing that bothers me, is that a part of me is really worried that one of the contributing factors to their daughter killing herself, might be the level of nerd hate directed at their family. Given the well documented track record of franchise fans becoming WAY too toxic and abusive, directing their hate at the real people, for DARING to make a product in a franchise THEY worship like a lunatic, and how often that has driven the people in question to various levels of mental disorders, and suicidal thoughts (the voice actor for Jar Jar in particular). I can EASILY see, an already insecure teenage girl, who might've been getting social media bullying anyway, just because life, now being bombarded with DC nerd hate from every corner, online and at school. People mocking her, saying things like "your dad killed DC!" and other dumbass shit. And that is might've contributed to her death.

It's purely speculation on my part, I'll admit, but to me, it doesn't include any elements that aren't already happening to other people, for the same level of stuff.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Saw some reviews for the new Snyder cut. The consensus seems to be that it holds together better than Whedon's cut, but if you're not a fan of Zack Snyder, this won't do much to change your mind.

At least he's good to his cast. Whedon can fuck all the way off.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Saw some reviews for the new Snyder cut. The consensus seems to be that it holds together better than Whedon's cut, but if you're not a fan of Zack Snyder, this won't do much to change your mind.

Considering this cut has almost double the approval rating of Whedon's on RT (Still subject to change, of course.), Warner replacing Snyder with Whedon will stand as one of the most bafflingly misguided decisions in film history. A lot of it is just ethically objectionable. Changing your director while he's mourning a death in the family, replacing him with another one who has a history of bullying and sexual harassment, letting that creep take full control over the movie and recutting it into something that couldn't be farther from what the original director wanted it to be and then lying through your teeth that the original director handpicked his replacement and it's all done with his approval. It's a travesty. And for what? For a version of the movie that was less popular than the one Snyder was making. They screwed over Snyder, they screwed over their cast and crew, they screwed over their audience and they screwed over themselves.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Considering this cut has almost double the approval rating of Whedon's on RT (Still subject to change, of course.), Warner replacing Snyder with Whedon will stand as one of the most bafflingly misguided decisions in film history. A lot of it is just ethically objectionable. Changing your director while he's mourning a death in the family, replacing him with another one who has a history of bullying and sexual harassment, letting that creep take full control over the movie and recutting it into something that couldn't be farther from what the original director wanted it to be and then lying through your teeth that the original director handpicked his replaced in it's all done with his approval. It's a travesty. And for what? For a version of the movie that was less popular than the one Snyder was making. They screwed over Snyder, they screwed over their cast and crew, they screwed over their audience and they screwed over themselves.
All because they got cold feet from the negative reception from Batman v Superman being "Too Grimdark, Too Edgy, Batman doesn't kill, why didn't they make 5 different movies for each hero to build to Justice League?!"

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Considering this cut has almost double the approval rating of Whedon's on RT (Still subject to change, of course.), Warner replacing Snyder with Whedon will stand as one of the most bafflingly misguided decisions in film history. A lot of it is just ethically objectionable. Changing your director while he's mourning a death in the family, replacing him with another one who has a history of bullying and sexual harassment, letting that creep take full control over the movie and recutting it into something that couldn't be farther from what the original director wanted it to be and then lying through your teeth that the original director handpicked his replacement and it's all done with his approval. It's a travesty. And for what? For a version of the movie that was less popular than the one Snyder was making. They screwed over Snyder, they screwed over their cast and crew, they screwed over their audience and they screwed over themselves.
On paper hiring Whedon was a good choice - though less so with recent revelations - and replacing Zack Snyder as director means there was no time limit on his and Deborah’s mourning. They wanted the movie done and released and for my money it was better to give the job to someone else so that no one at Warner Brothers was hovering over his shoulder like Gus Hedges asking him when he’s coming back to work.

What happened to the Snyder’s was fucking awful; but replacing him allowed the needs of the many - the rest of the people working on Justice League to remain employed - and the needs of the few - Zack and Deborah getting to mourn in peace and privacy at their own pace to be served at the same time.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
All because they got cold feet from the negative reception from Batman v Superman being "Too Grimdark, Too Edgy, Batman doesn't kill, why didn't they make 5 different movies for each hero to build to Justice League?!"
Yes imagine that, changing your product when people react negatively to it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Yes imagine that, changing your product when people react negatively to it.
But don't change a product that was in the middle of development with an already set plan and vision. Even if it was negatively received. Change course after it was over and done.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
But don't change a product that was in the middle of development with an already set plan and vision. Even if it was negatively received. Change course after it was over and done.
Fair point. Trying to change course in the middle of a production is expensive and usually results in a worse final product for it. It's a move that communicates desperation. The sudden departure of Snyder from the director's seat was not insurmountable however and Whedon probably made sense on paper at that time, but paper is a notorious liar. What they ended up with was a wounded narcissist they weren't willing to tell, "No." In the process they got a compromised mess, a terrible experience for the cast and crew, a box office dud and their reputation even lower than before after showing so little resolve in their decision to have hired Zack Snyder in the first goddamn place.

Warner made a bad call on that one.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I kinda wonder if WB has started to realize this has become their motiff, to ruin productions with this community decision bullshit. I totally believe they'd already started mangling the movie(s) before he even had a script. I'll be that guy, prepare to throw popcorn, but I love Kevin Smiths rant on working with WB on superman. I have to imagine it's a total clown show over there.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My buddies coming to my place Sunday to watch this 4 hour movie. I'm hearing some really good things about it and will avoid spoilers until that time: even if I hear it is bad. So far, I hear it is good. I hope y'all get time to watch it and judge for yourselves.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My buddies coming to my place Sunday to watch this 4 hour movie. I'm hearing some really good things about it and will avoid spoilers until that time: even if I hear it is bad. So far, I hear it is good. I hope y'all get time to watch it and judge for yourselves.
I'm watching it right now, but it looks like I'll need all afternoon and most of my evening to finish it.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Just a live reaction I typed up while watching. Don't click the spoilers if you don't want, you know, spoilers.
Thoughts:

Superman's death wail was really awkward but a nice way to tie all the locations together. Lex's appearance looked terrible.

Batman's trek through the mountains is still fucking dumb and a waste of time, nice scenery though. Okay nevermind they kinda explained it.

Aquaman's introduction is weird considering we all know exactly who he is. Also what use is dollars in this backwater ass village. The singing and the lady sniffing the sweater is peak Snyder, I can see exactly why it was cut.

What a useless security guard lmao

Random terrorists are random

Hooo boy wonder woman's action editing is hella awkward sometimes. It kinda reminds me of deepfakes for some reason.

Wonder woman just fucked over this whole museum for no reason lmao
Boom tubes actually boom, but still look terrible

Steppenwolf doesn't sound bad, looks better as well. The sound mixing is off though

Why are these Amazons so Roman lmao. What the fuck does sealing this tiny rock dome do? Oh nevermind that does make more sense. Gives the Amazonian sacrifice more credit.

Already too much slowmo. Okay Steppenwolf is so much better, as well as the Amazons

Sketch of the parademon was pretty funny lol

Too many random songs that I think are ill-fitting.

Aquaman still looks like he's holding his breath underwater

Air bubble is still dumb. Willem Dafoe's acting is awkward.

Desaad sounds good too. Although steppenwolf looks almost pathetic here.

The Apokolips forces came from another universe? Weird. You'd think they could have gone with another galaxy

The green lantern effects still look like shit

Lmao Ares is this powerful?

Ezra Miller's Barry Allen can still go die in a fucking fire. And he still looks like he cant fucking run

I guess the Atlanteans can't breathe out of the water isnt a thing here

Bruce and Diana romance is kinda cute except I can't see Wonder Woman the same way anymore.

FUCKING HELL WITH THE SLOW MO

Lmao this lady and her bedside manner

Its nice they're showing Cyborg having trouble with his body.

Oh dear Vic's mind looks terrible. The rest of the scene was nice though.

The voiceovers in this movie are so awkward.

Ive noticed that they've removed a lot of Whedon's jokes so far.

Weird that Victor is walking weird in this scene, when he was walking normally in the previous scenes.

All of these waterless scenes in Atlantis are hella cringe. Also nice to see that abuser Amber Heard has a bigger role in this movie.

Why the fuck isnt Flash just rescuing all these people at super speed...

Okay that superspeed scene was pretty cool.

God it's still so fucking dumb that Diana isn't just flying all over the place now...

Okay Cyborg just going to get the mother box off screen is just as dumb here as it was in the theatrical release

Okay, this "we lost the world" makes no fucking sense. They knew the boxes were here but not that this was the world they were looking for??

Jesus christ did Silas Stone amputate half of Victor's body?

Well that was a random ass reveal from Martian Manhunter. And also he kinda looks like shit.

Lmao making the kids dig up a corpse, feels like Diana and Arthur are hazing them.

Why is there a dead Kilowogg on earth

Okay so Superman is faster than the Flash now alright...

So they removed the part where Batman planned for Lois to calm Supes down. Kinda ruins the flashback scene in BvS.

That was a pretty dumb move from Silas, and a real grisly death. Or not nevermind, clever girl.

Jesus, the boom tube is hella inconsistent.

Bruce uses his Batman voice just as inconsistently.

Supes' black suit looks great, but they don't really give a reason why he dons it.

Taking down the dome makes absolutely NO sense. They could have all gotten inside it together.

This climax is so improved without the shitty red filter over everything.

Kinda disappointing that Batman's action scenes are all using a gun. Hella boring compared to exploding batarangs and shit.

Superman is brutal, but then I guess he do be a neck snapper.

Man Flash really the worst part of this whole movie.

Damn they really took mother box literally.

HAHAHAHAHAH THIS FUCKING ZOOM CALL WITH DARKSEID

And I fucking KNEW it, the Joker shit is gonna be an end credits scene isn't it.

There is no fucking way Cyborg should be able to reform that recorder.

Ah I suspected this Asian dude was the Atom

Dropping the Bat-tank I see. What is with Bat's and all his ridiculous vehicles

Ah, interesting they're implying that Supes will use his black suit from now on.

Leto's Joker sounds so much better. This whole flashback scene though... Definitely more than a little cringe. And of course they had to drop that society line just for the trailer.

Yet another awkward Martian Manhunter cameo.

Well, that was a long four hours.

What did I think? Well, it is 110% better than the theatrical release. It looks better, sounds better, has more action, and I wasn't going "Are you fucking kidding me" every other scene like in BvS. There are rough edges for sure, but that was to be expected.

Kudos to Zack Snyder, the man went and fucking did it. This version did not fix any of the biggest problems with Justice League (the Flash is just a sad, sad version), but they did iron out a lot of small plot holes and stupid decisions introduced by Whedon. I can definitely see why Ray Fisher was fucking pissed, because he was an integral part of this movie and they cut a ridiculous amount of his content out of it. It was a very Snyder movie, with all the pretentious music and shots, an overabundance of slow-mo, and shit looking cool taking precedence above all.

I think the Snyder fanatics will probably be disappointed inside (because they'd never admit it lol), since a lot the things they were hyping up (Darkseid, Martian Manhunter, Joker) didn't exactly pay off so much. So if you were planning on dedicating a good chunk of your time to this movie based on their appearances, you might want to rethink that.

Snyder has very much left this universe open for sequels. It will be interesting to see how WB will play this now. I will never care about this universe as much as the MCU or Star Wars, but I wouldn't mind seeing more movies from it.

TLDR; Wasn't a dumpster fire, wasn't a masterpiece, but an entertaining enough movie.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
For those in the UK it is or will be on Sky Q or Now TV movies I think.

Kinda hope it comes to google movies so I can buy it outright at some point and watch it which is probably where I'll finally get to see it.

Still funny to think people were on about how Whedon came in save the DCU and how it was so much better than what Zack Snyder would do and all this at the time.

My how the tide turns eh?

The Apokolips forces came from another universe? Weird. You'd think they could have gone with another galaxy
In the DC animated films Apokolips technically phases in and out of out universe or something normally phasing in to attack.

Lmao Ares is this powerful?
He is a God and again old gods are shown in the recent DC animated film to be pretty good vs New gods.

Bruce and Diana romance is kinda cute except I can't see Wonder Woman the same way anymore.
That make me happy to know that is in the movie and Zack Snyder did pay some attention to the DC animated series. Now if only DC writers could do something with it instead of always having her and Superman be the new romance pairing

Well that was a random ass reveal from Martian Manhunter. And also he kinda looks like shit.
Can't be worse than the CW one lol

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I'm gonna watch it.

I'm morbidly curious. It is currently rated at 78% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is leaps and bounds over BvS, and the original Justice League movie, and I hated them both (though I thought JL was better than BvS).

But, I'm also kind of curious to see how much of the positive reaction is actually good stuff, and how much is just "wow, this is much better than the theatrical release!"

I've also heard that the film is in 4:3? I saw it in the trailers, and I thought that it was just some weird social media cropping. I have no idea if this is actually in the final film or not, but if it is, this is some proper cringeworthy auteur bullshit.

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I've also heard that the film is in 4:3? I saw it in the trailers, and I thought that it was just some weird social media cropping. I have no idea if this is actually in the final film or not, but if it is, this is some proper cringeworthy auteur bullshit.
It's not 4:3, it's IMAX 1.43:1, which is wider than 4:3 but not as wide as 16:9. That's the aspect ratio it was originally filmed in, because Snyder decided he loved the IMAX look. The original cut was cropped down to a more common aspect ratio, but Snyder has had it restored to it's original state because that's how he wanted it to look.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There are even more spoilers in these spoilers so beware.
In the DC animated films Apokolips technically phases in and out of out universe or something normally phasing in to attack.
I mean that's not really the same thing, it sounded way more like a multiverse situation. Especially since Darkseid somehow lost Earth, like the actual location of it.
He is a God and again old gods are shown in the recent DC animated film to be pretty good vs New gods.
I was thinking more of, Diana beat Ares' sorry ass with the power of love or truth or some shit, and yet claims Steppenwolf is the most powerful being she has ever encountered.
Can't be worse than the CW one lol
I think it genuinely is. His costume looks like shit, and his face like someone plastered spinach pasta all over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
But, I'm also kind of curious to see how much of the positive reaction is actually good stuff, and how much is just "wow, this is much better than the theatrical release!"
That is admittedly a big part of why I enjoyed it. But it's just impossible for me to view it any other way, I don't think such a thing has ever happened to this degree. We've followed the progress of the Snyder cut for almost 4 years now, I can't not see it as an attempt for redemption.
It's definitely not in a standard aspect ratio, but I didn't notice it really. Was super noticeable in the trailers, I wonder why it didn't bother me at all this time.