Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Thanks, I didn’t know that. You wonder if this guy would’ve done that? Or is neck breaking too far? Maybe he only breaks weaker necks? I’m glad we’re having this argument over my use of flowery language for emotional effect.
This matter isn't worth debate, and that's to both of you. An innocent man died, end of story. I'm not sure how much there is to discuss in this thread regardless right now until the officer goes to court.

So let's keep the speculation to a minimum and focus on the facts when they come out.

Reactions: Revnak

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
From the video, it looks more like he was crushing the guy's carotid artery/jugular vein. Likely cut off the proper amount of blood flow and, therefore, oxygen to his brain.

Seriously. No defending this one. At all.

Probably would have been more merciful, and a hell of a lot quicker, to break his neck.
I'm not sure how you can say that, gryph. The man was clearly resisting arrest by wriggling around on the ground. That officer was terrified for his life.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Thanks, I didn’t know that. You wonder if this guy would’ve done that? Or is neck breaking too far? Maybe he only breaks weaker necks? I’m glad we’re having this argument over my use of flowery language for emotional effect.
Honestly, I don't think you need to embellish the account, "flowerly" language or not. Neck breaking can be an accident, a mistake of too much force. Strangulation is deliberate, over a period of time, and could be stopped at any point; that it wasn't speaks to the true depths of the brutality on display.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Honestly, I don't think you need to embellish the account, "flowerly" language or not. Neck breaking can be an accident, a mistake of too much force. Strangulation is deliberate, over a period of time, and could be stopped at any point; that it wasn't speaks to the true depths of the brutality on display.
Fair. Just felt it worked in the moment. I apologize for underestimating the importance of word choice. My English teacher will punish me tomorrow, undoubtedly.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
This matter isn't worth debate, and that's to both of you. An innocent man died, end of story. I'm not sure how much there is to discuss in this thread regardless right now until the officer goes to court.

So let's keep the speculation to a minimum and focus on the facts when they come out.
Sorry, just frustrated at the brutality of it is all.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
It paints a better image than strangle, and one more accurate to the brutality of the act in this case given he put his full body weight on a man’s throat for ten minutes. Don’t “well actually” a brutal murder with a brutal murderer into being ok.
Please don't.

The footage speaks for itself. If you use "flowery language," and try to make the story more dramatic, then all you're doing is giving people free ammo. It's a lot easier to attack factual inaccuracies that result from embellishment then it is to actually defend what happened. The truth is horrifying enough on its own. Stick to the facts.

-A man was arrested for suspicion of a non violent crime
-He was handcuffed, and the police officer placed his knee on the mans kneck, despite there being no visual evidence that he resisted arrest
-The man stated that he couldn't breathe, and was worried for his life. The crowd expressed the same concern, especially after the man stopped moving.
-Despite calling an ambulance, due to obvious concerns for the mans health, the police held this position for a full 9 minutes

Let the truth have its day. It's a smarter strategy then exaggerating the events that occurred because you're having a strong emotional reaction to it (as you should).

EDIT: Saw your post, so I don't want to dog pile on you. We're all upset right now, so I understand. There's probably a long fight ahead seeking justice, so let's get ready to see how things unfold.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Looks like now that the cops have started running out of tracer rounds and tear gas they’re just spraying mace into the crowd.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
If only Greta Thunberg were there. She would know what to do.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Looks to be some blackouts occuring nearby the precinct

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Police (those that weren't responsible for this) are now in an real bad situation.

It's their job to protect a community but it seems people are mad at all the police.

They can't arrest to officers in question unless ordered to or issued an arrest warrant.

There are reports of police patrol cars being attacked on highways and some people taking advantage of the unrest to loot store.

Police have a duty to do but what are they meant to do now? Trying to arrest people even looters in this atmosphere could go south fast. (I mean there are videos of people in the crowd with some pretty nasty hardware)

However not acting all it is going to take is the looters breaking into the wrong family owned store and the owner defending their business and things could go bad quickly that way too.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Shit's on Fire Yo (lots of tweets in this one so I'd recommend clicking on the actual Tweet so you can see the posters timeline)

This was surreal when it was happening in Ferguson but I actually know and have been to that Cub/Target. I don't recall ever going to that Autozone but still, I recognize all these places.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yup there is fire. Also probably not the kind of signs you want associated with the fire there in the window.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I'm not sure how you can say that, gryph. The man was clearly resisting arrest by wriggling around on the ground. That officer was terrified for his life.
Now that you mention it, I did see a bit of aggressive spasming there.

Thank god the officer had the presence of mind to remain completely motionless and calm atop the assailant's neck.

Yup there is fire. Also probably not the kind of signs you want associated with the fire there in the window.

But shit like that is where I'm having a difficult time supporting these people.

The fuck did Autozone do?

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States

Shit's on Fire Yo (lots of tweets in this one so I'd recommend clicking on the actual Tweet so you can see the posters timeline)

This was surreal when it was happening in Ferguson but I actually know and have been to that Cub/Target. I don't recall ever going to that Autozone but still, I recognize all these places.
Have you tried offering them a pepsi?

Reactions: Revnak

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
AutoZone fire seems to have been over police being on the roof, but even if that’s the case lighting a building full of oil is a dumbass move. Looks like the fire department is there now though. Target shit just seems insane though.

Status
Not open for further replies.