8 People Killed In Atlanta Massage Parlor Shootings

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Like, if I wandered around town shooting up black barbershops but ignoring, say, Great Clips, then my problem isn't with barbers.

And that's taking the sex work bullshit at face value
, which, again, is flagrant bullshit.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
And perhaps he wasn't and he was just fucked in the head?
As someone who struggles with mental illness, please don't use us as your scapegoat.

Why do people WANT it to be race motivated? So they can just have an evil label to stand on some pretentious soapbox?

Are all the black kids assaulting old Asian people on the street also racist? Because I thought black people couldn't be racist because they don't have institutional power?

When white people do something, it's racist.

When PoC's do something, it's because of the struggle.
Oh Jesus, where to start...

1. Nobody WANTS this to be motivated by racism, the evidence is pointing to the motive having a racial dimension because of the targeted nature of the shootings.
2. Yes, they are. Who in this thread said otherwise?
3. You thought wrong. Racism is an ideology, not a state of being.

Maybe because the media and people keep using race as a thing, it is the reason why racism seems so rampent. It can't be "8 people shot in string of massage parlor shootings" No it has to be "8 ASIAN people shot in massage parlor shootings".

Whenever someone does something successful, or is a victim, race is ALWAYS a part of it. BLACK woman succeeds. Police shot BLACK drug dealer in exchange go wrong. They manipulate people with race baiting, because creating divides and false drama adds to the business that is the news and only further hurts the fight for equality for everyone. So long as they keep talking about race, racism will look worse than it really is.
Or maybe racism is more common than your comfortable with admitting. Equality is not going to be achieved by pretending racism was defeated at some non-specific point in the past.

Dude specifically targeted Asian spas and ignored all the strip clubs. Why does it gall you so much to suggest that racism played a part in his decision?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah man, why would the fact that the dude targeted a specific subset of people based on race even matter, even though the dude targeted a specific subset of people based on race and ignored, say, strip clubs.

"If we all just *ignored* the racism, racism wouldn't exist" is a toddler's solution to problems.
But he shot and killed two white people too. He targeted spa's not nessecarilly because they were asian.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
But he shot and killed two white people too. He targeted spa's not nessecarilly because they were asian.
Right, because mass shooters are so cautious about their targets once the bullets start flying.

Also, if you can tell me why he targeted Asian spas specifically, let's hear it. Since you're so certain of his motive, tell us what it was, Derren Brown.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No... he targeted Asian salons/spas that, in this case, happened to have 2 white people in them.
I dunno. Arent almost all of those kinds of spas run by asians? Seems like the businesses were the targets and the racial profile of the people was circumstantial. Hell didnt the guy even say he did it based of sexual temptation not race?

If they said it wasnt race motivated then it wasnt. I mean he is already going to jail forever so why lie?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I dunno. Arent almost all of those kinds of spas run by asians?
This may come as a shock to you, but the spa industry is not exclusive to Asian people by any stretch of the imagination. He specifically targeted Asian spas that were advertised as such. Seriously, read the news before you shoot your mouth off.

Hell didnt the guy even say he did it based of sexual temptation not race?
Are you suggesting that racism and misogyny are mutually exclusive?

If they said it wasnt race motivated then it wasnt.
Who are "they" and why are they the sole arbiters of truth in your worldview?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I think you heavily underestimate the effect of "official endorsement" by the powerful and influential.

In some cases, people will perhaps be inclined to think things, but hold their expression in check because they also consider potential soecital disapproval. However, once they receive a signal that seems to validate their underlying thoughts, they will increasingly act them out in society. If Trump says China virus, so can you. Extreme views will also be emboldened, as they will not just pick up on cues of the powerful, but the increased acceptability of ideas amongst their peers.
On the counter side you had China and Chinese linked media pushing the narrative that calling it the China Virus was racist as was even saying the virus came from China at all.

Why do people WANT it to be race motivated? So they can just have an evil label to stand on some pretentious soapbox?
I can only suggest virtue signalling without realising they're feeding into and playing into a whole "Race War" Narrative. I mean the Manson cult killed 5 white people and tried to blame the killing on black people. It failed. Now I wouldn't be shocked if some people are pushing it the other way round trying to blame killings on white people being racist and targeting black people to try and get a reaction the other way round.

Yeah man, why would the fact that the dude targeted a specific subset of people based on race even matter, even though the dude targeted a specific subset of people based on race and ignored, say, strip clubs.

"If we all just *ignored* the racism, racism wouldn't exist" is a toddler's solution to problems.
Except we don't specifically know he did target a specific subset of people. It could merely be that it happened to be the spas had more Asian staff possibly due to low pay or them being partly family run / owned businesses

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Who are "they" and why are they the sole arbiters of truth in your worldview?
The "they" in question is the shooter. Are you just trying to be confrontational for the sake of it? I really don't understand what your issue is. Not everything is racist even if YOU see everything in terms of race. Sorry to break that news to you.

Are you suggesting that racism and misogyny are mutually exclusive?
They aren't even close to being the same thing. Last I check, vagina's come in all sorts of colors a beautiful spectrum even.

Seriously, read the news before you shoot your mouth off.
Take your own advice, and then you would be questioning what I mean by "they" maybe?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Not everything is racist even if YOU see everything in terms of race. Sorry to break that news to you.
Making a lot of assumptions, kid.

They aren't even close to being the same thing. Last I check, vagina's come in all sorts of colors a beautiful spectrum even.
You didn't answer my question. Are they mutually exclusive? And if so, why? Do you know what "mutually exclusive" means?

Pomi

Mar 22, 2021
Country
Polska
The thing is isn't it somewhere like Holland that is seem to be a country with lots of stuff put in place to prevent gender discrimination and allow women to have children and be CEOs etc with child care and no stigma about being a stay at home dad and all this. Only for them to find their society going far more towards traditional gender roles anyway even when there's really nothing at all meaning they should or have to.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Don't you know it's all the work of the Cabal of DDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMM whose whole goal is to keep "minorities" down even if women technically make up ~51% of the global population they are minorities and the secret underground alliance of MRAs, Trumpers, Bernie Bros, Gamers™, People who dislike The Last Jedi, PUAs, INCELs, Virgins, People who disliked Ghostbusters 2016, people who disliked Captain Marvel, People who disliked The Last of Us Part II, People who disliked Battlefield V, Terrorists, Nazis, People who don't like Jodie Whitakers Doctor Who series, People who dislike the new Batwoman series, Anti - Reylos, SnowBarry shippers, Artists who draw characters too thin; Artists who draw characters skin a shade too light; Atheism Minuses and many more who have all come together to deliberately hold back progress and prevent the rise of the glorious utopia parallel society free from hatred.
Hope I don't need to point out I'm taking the piss in part but this really is a stupid belief seemingly held by some that any group not jumping in to push certain ideas is now some inherent part of a giant conspiracy to harm everyone.

Making a lot of assumptions, kid.
So is the assumption he targeted specific spas and those weren't merely the nearest spas to the gunshop / the killers house.

The thing is isn't it somewhere like Holland that is seem to be a country with lots of stuff put in place to prevent gender discrimination and allow women to have children and be CEOs etc with child care and no stigma about being a stay at home dad and all this. Only for them to find their society going far more towards traditional gender roles anyway even when there's really nothing at all meaning they should or have to.
I brought it up some-where recently even thinking it was Holland myself apparently it's Denmark as was pointed out by Dreiko I think

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I think you heavily underestimate the effect of "official endorsement" by the powerful and influential.

In some cases, people will perhaps be inclined to think things, but hold their expression in check because they also consider potential soecital disapproval. However, once they receive a signal that seems to validate their underlying thoughts, they will increasingly act them out in society. If Trump says China virus, so can you. Extreme views will also be emboldened, as they will not just pick up on cues of the powerful, but the increased acceptability of ideas amongst their peers.

That is of course how the USA ended up with what should have been the unthinkable: a mob storming the Capitol. Because Trump (and others) geed them up to it, to think it was an acceptable thing to do.

This is why politicians normally tend to be careful how they put things. It's also why many people liked Trump, because he wasn't careful: he gave voice to a great number of unpleasant attitudes people felt but would not voice because they feared disapproval.
Even if you want to call Trump's words an "official endorsement", it's still not going to lead to hate crimes against Asian Americans. Trump's continued saying of things like "China virus" is not an attack against Chinese anything. Nothing related to or even accidentally mistaken for Chinese is being targeted by him using that terminology. The punchline when he says that is all the people who call it racist to say that. Democrats are the punchline. His divisive rhetoric here is politically divisive, not racially divisive. It's a big, old middle finger to the people who say that he's racist for saying it.

In addition to Trump's actual insult being against Democrats, not Chinese-Americans, the reality of the situation better matches the assumption that Trump had little or no influence in people's treatment of Asian Americans. As I said earlier, looking at the perpetrators of the crimes, there's no obvious pattern of Trump supporters (or Republicans in general) being responsible for a disproportionate amount, nor reason to believe that people who would say "take Trump back to China with you" are motivated by his "official endorsement". Also, the phenomenon exists independent of Trump having occurred with SARS in the past and being a subject of consideration with Covid19 before the words "China virus" left Trump's lips.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I dunno. Arent almost all of those kinds of spas run by asians? Seems like the businesses were the targets and the racial profile of the people was circumstantial. Hell didnt the guy even say he did it based of sexual temptation not race?

If they said it wasnt race motivated then it wasnt. I mean he is already going to jail forever so why lie?
Wait... so now you think he is racist?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What? Where are you getting that from?
If Asian mainly run these business and, as you said, the businesses were targets.... then racial profiling definitely isn't circumstantial. In fact, your comment it makes this thing sound more racist

But first off, here's your assumption. 'These spas are run by mainly Asians". Is that true? My country has way more Asians living here than America. I wouldn't even say half the spas here are 'run by Asians'. There are definitely centres that are run and cater more to the Asian crowd. And I live in 'Asian city' part of my city

Second stereotype is: Asian masseur give out happy endings. It sounds like his church was telling him that those spas are evil places because they do evil sex things. No wonder he shot those places up.

Like, 'I have a sex addiction' doesn't cut the mustard. He could have gone ANYWHERE to take his hate out on sex addiction. He didn't. He targeted spas. He drove 30 MILES to a different city, going through another city, to take out specific targets. Are you telling me there weren't other spas on the way?

It sounds like he was told a stereotype and told that those people are evil and acted on it. What's galling is that you made that original comment based on someone commenting that none of them were sex workers. So he utterly failed. To me, this sounds like another Pizzagate, an idiot with conspiracy theories who encourage others to take action

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If Asian mainly run these business and, as you said, the businesses were targets.... then racial profiling definitely isn't circumstantial. In fact, your comment it makes this thing sound more racist

But first off, here's your assumption. 'These spas are run by mainly Asians". Is that true? My country has way more Asians living here than America. I wouldn't even say half the spas here are 'run by Asians'. There are definitely centres that are run and cater more to the Asian crowd. And I live in 'Asian city' part of my city

Second stereotype is: Asian masseur give out happy endings. It sounds like his church was telling him that those spas are evil places because they do evil sex things. No wonder he shot those places up.

Like, 'I have a sex addiction' doesn't cut the mustard. He could have gone ANYWHERE to take his hate out on sex addiction. He didn't. He targeted spas. He drove 30 MILES to a different city, going through another city, to take out specific targets. Are you telling me there weren't other spas on the way?

It sounds like he was told a stereotype and told that those people are evil and acted on it. What's galling is that you made that original comment based on someone commenting that none of them were sex workers. So he utterly failed. To me, this sounds like another Pizzagate, an idiot with conspiracy theories who encourage others to take action
Yeah okay this is a fair enough point. However if the targeted spas were rumored to offer such special services, then the race of the people within is circumstantial right.

Basically it's a whole lot of what ifs. Because again the shooter himself said it wasn't a racial thing and he has no reason to lie since he is already caught and about to get locked away. There is nothing for him to gain by claiming not race motivated.

The happy ending spa stereotype could have been any other race and it would play to the same narrative.

I think that the media is trying to make this a hate crime because the link of Asian hate and the whole Covid-Chinavirus thing fits a nice little extra bonus point score for the media to cash in on.

Could it be a racist attack? Sure. But in this particular case, I think it's more specfic than that. Maybe he went to those spas and tried to get a handjob and he got mad when they all refused to touch his little pecker, thus the attack.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I think that the media is trying to make this a hate crime because the link of Asian hate and the whole Covid-Chinavirus thing fits a nice little extra bonus point score for the media to cash in on.
So ((((the media)))) had a meeting and said 'hey we're going to really push this asian hate race thing so we can bring on the race war as foretold in the ancient texts'?

Reactions: Buyetyen