Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Glad to hear it, really wish I gave any fucks about that game at this point.
Yeah too little too late imo. I might revisit the game at the end of the year when I am bored and all the shit is ironed out. But this was a disaster that made me very sad because I liked CDPR.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah too little too late imo. I might revisit the game at the end of the year when I am bored and all the shit is ironed out. But this was a disaster that made me very sad because I liked CDPR.
I'm not a fan of CDPR, and find their games incredibly boring and overhyped. So I had no invested stake in the company. I AM a fan of the Cyberpunk roleplaying game, and the genre as a whole, it's probably one of my favorites, so I'm sad on that front, but, eh, it's another game that isn't as good as it claimed. Let me add that to the metric fuckton of games of that same description over the years.

Same here. I'm ready for new games that actually have even pacing and development time. And try not to rush it out just for their money as fast as possible.
Yeah, I find the addiction level clamoring for these games/films incredibly disturbing. People build it up so much in their heads, and then when it fails to deliver, they lose their shit. It does no one any good. Your life will be just as fine as it was all the years prior, when you didn't have this game, as it will in another year+ when it does get finished.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Same here. I'm ready for new games that actually have even pacing and development time. And try not to rush it out just for their money as fast as possible.
I'm actually looking forward to this Returnal game. I'm curious to see a AAA-level rogue-lite game. I hope it doesn't blow chunks of doo doo.

I'm not a fan of CDPR, and find their games incredibly boring and overhyped.
I mean to be fair it was only one game that gave them this hype. The Witcher 3 was incredible imo, but i know it was hit and miss with a lot of people.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean to be fair it was only one game that gave them this hype. The Witcher 3 was incredible imo, but i know it was hit and miss with a lot of people.
I recall people getting aroused over CDPR as early as W2: King of Assassins of Milfgardsburg. And how they wouldn't shut the fuck up to the buildup of W3. And then the YEARS of stroking W3, leading up to CP2077. So more than just one game.

And even if it was one game, that's not really a good thing either, even more so really. Bioware at least had a solid base of multiple titles, to at least semi-justify the hype around the ME and DA titles. People still love KOTOR, Jade Empire was a damn good game, and sadly underrated, and ME and DA 1's did a lot to establish a good story base, with a solid style behind them, that was popular. And while I don't think ANY game is worth hype to the level we saw with CP2077, there is at least an actual library of Bioware titles to refer to as evidence of quality.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I recall people getting aroused over CDPR as early as W2: King of Assassins of Milfgardsburg. And how they wouldn't shut the fuck up to the buildup of W3. And then the YEARS of stroking W3, leading up to CP2077. So more than just one game.

And even if it was one game, that's not really a good thing either, even more so really. Bioware at least had a solid base of multiple titles, to at least semi-justify the hype around the ME and DA titles. People still love KOTOR, Jade Empire was a damn good game, and sadly underrated, and ME and DA 1's did a lot to establish a good story base, with a solid style behind them, that was popular. And while I don't think ANY game is worth hype to the level we saw with CP2077, there is at least an actual library of Bioware titles to refer to as evidence of quality.
I actually remember calling people out on this in the V1 forum. Some of the users either called the foolish or crazy. They were proven wrong. I freaking told them. I told them be careful what you wish for, cuz you might get a buggy product that's beyond a broken mess.

Reactions: happyninja42

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'll openly admit after the week one flurry of stability patches I enjoyed Cyberpunk quite a bit. I think I'd ended up putting something crazy like 100 hours into it obsessively doing every mission and perk tree. I gained a somewhat concerning level of enjoyment out of the later hacking perks that allowed you to walk into any fight with any number of baddies or just stand outside the building and light swarms of enemies on fire like you're Carrie.

Ultimately though I have to chalk up my enjoyment largely to the fact that I'd been itching for a GTA RPG like this for years, hell I still havent played GTA IV, V so I was easy pickings for a game that let me play every mission however I want. If there wasn't a dearth of this very specific thing (actually reminds of an old indie game called E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy) I wouldn't be speaking so pleasantly about Cyberpunk.

I think it's cool that they are adding all these fixes, but it doesn't change the fact that Cyberpunk still feels like it's missing content. I spent an enormous amount of time exploring Night City and found a....ton of areas that are intentionally limited or closed off that are clearly for unfinished content. Though it's hard to describe in words Night City really "feels" unfinished. It reminds me of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines before all the fan patches over the years that re-added all the missing stories and set pieces.

I'll happily wait til they do an expansion. I have literally zero interest in replaying it. I beat it once. The storyline is vapid and terrible. Actually I just remembered even the main story is unfinished. Not the bugs, but I played as Corp and that literally never played into the story meaningful. I always expected thered be some side mission or something. Never came up.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You know... in many way this is probably the best scenario for me, as far as potentially playing cyberpunk 2077. I though TW3 was pretty boring overall (outside of a few stand out cutscene) and really puzzle by the near universal praise it gets. So if cyberpunk 2077 had being really positively received I would have just shrugged and chalk it up to me not getting w/e magic made TW3 worked for so many people. On the other hand if the game had been released in broken state and just abandoned I'd never play it.

But now it received pretty negative critic with a few "well this could be good if bug were fixed", and they apparently are fixing those, so I'll probably wait for it to be like 50% off and try it then (if graphic card price can ever come back down to earth).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'll openly admit after the week one flurry of stability patches I enjoyed Cyberpunk quite a bit. I think I'd ended up putting something crazy like 100 hours into it obsessively doing every mission and perk tree. I gained a somewhat concerning level of enjoyment out of the later hacking perks that allowed you to walk into any fight with any number of baddies or just stand outside the building and light swarms of enemies on fire like you're Carrie.

Ultimately though I have to chalk up my enjoyment largely to the fact that I'd been itching for a GTA RPG like this for years, hell I still havent played GTA IV, V so I was easy pickings for a game that let me play every mission however I want. If there wasn't a dearth of this very specific thing (actually reminds of an old indie game called E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy) I wouldn't be speaking so pleasantly about Cyberpunk.

I think it's cool that they are adding all these fixes, but it doesn't change the fact that Cyberpunk still feels like it's missing content. I spent an enormous amount of time exploring Night City and found a....ton of areas that are intentionally limited or closed off that are clearly for unfinished content. Though it's hard to describe in words Night City really "feels" unfinished. It reminds me of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines before all the fan patches over the years that re-added all the missing stories and set pieces.

I'll happily wait til they do an expansion. I have literally zero interest in replaying it. I beat it once. The storyline is vapid and terrible. Actually I just remembered even the main story is unfinished. Not the bugs, but I played as Corp and that literally never played into the story meaningful. I always expected thered be some side mission or something. Never came up.
I also put about 100 hours into the game and finished every quest line.

There's a bones of a really good, even great game here, but so much of it is just unfinished. There's some really interesting side quests that start really strong and then kind of end, like the Peralez quest line. It just stops the moment it really gets interesting and you never get any resolution. I don't know if they just didn't have time to finish these quests, or if they really just didn't know how to finish them and left them hanging because they wrote themselves into a corner.

There's also so many areas of the city that you barely even interact with. There's some really interesting areas of the map that you visit maybe once for 5 minutes for a fetch quest and then never see again. There was also clearly a reputation system with the gangs that was cut which ends up really limiting your interactions with the gangs. There's so many of them and they end up being completely interachangable, and only a couple are even mentioned in the main quest line.

The game just really lacks a lot of polish, and the main quest needs a lot more content and context. So few of your choices end up making a difference.

Despite how much I really did enjoy the game I can't in good conscience recommend it to anybody. CD Project done fucked up bad.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
They note in the article they're re-organizing the software teams in cross-functional agile teams. I'm not sure if they're saying they're implementing agile or if they were already agile, but worked in silos. It's hard to read. I'm an agile product owner/product manager. There's some benefit in going into agile software development as it's a lot more transparent and measurable work input/output. There's less room for upper leadership to run around demanding things and advertising shit as being ready to launch when it's actually a dumpsterfire behind the scenes. You can just look at the work and metrics rather than trusting Managers and Directors that shit is getting done. You also give developers a voice to say "hey shit is not on track" just by having the numbers. That obviously only works if you're implementing the agile mindset properly and not just pretending to be agile and faking numbers (FML Ive seen a lot of that.). Have to take CDPR at their word that they are trying to transform their workstream.

What annoys me is I'm not seeing a sacrificial lamb. Somebody made the call to lie to investors and launch an unfinished game. I have trouble believing lower tier manager just straight up lied to the CTO telling them everything is awesome. They had to know they'd be risking their job. I've yet to see a public leader come out and just admit they lied...but then I'm reminded they are in a lawsuit. The firing probably won't happen for 8-12 months.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
What annoys me is I'm not seeing a sacrificial lamb. Somebody made the call to lie to investors and launch an unfinished game. I have trouble believing lower tier manager just straight up lied to the CTO telling them everything is awesome. They had to know they'd be risking their job. I've yet to see a public leader come out and just admit they lied...but then I'm reminded they are in a lawsuit. The firing probably won't happen for 8-12 months.
That's rather vindictive of you, isn't it?

People who bought it on steam could have gotten a refund, people who bought it on PS4 could have gotten a refund, people who bought it on Xbox could have gotten a refund.

The damage to CDPR's reputation is done. Unless you're an investor who was lied to and lost money on this, there's really no reason for you to want there to be a person to put the blame on or want them to be fired.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

People who bought it on steam could have gotten a refund, people who bought it on PS4 could have gotten a refund, people who bought it on Xbox could have gotten a refund.

The damage to CDPR's reputation is done. Unless you're an investor who was lied to and lost money on this, there's really no reason for you to want there to be a person to put the blame on or want them to be fired.

I think it’s more that we’re yet to see anyone on the board of directors held accountable for pressuring/coercing CDPR into releasing a game well before it’s ready just to get those holiday $ales. Seeing as how that’s unlikely to ever even happen (because they’re already at the top of the hierarchy), then chances are they as a company haven’t really learned much from all of this, if anything.

Having said that,

A couple paragraphs stand out,

The exact nature of Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer has never really been nailed down, but it was expected to be something big, possibly akin to GTA Online. In a November 2020 earnings call transcribed by Seeking Alpha, CD Projekt joint CEO Adam Kiciński described it as "a separate dedicated production" that developers consider "a standalone product."

"Obviously, it's not entirely standalone as it comes from the universe of Cyberpunk and is very much related to the concept of single player Cyberpunk we—I came up with," he said at the time. "But from our perspective, it's—is another independent production and independent team of people works on it."

Interesting how he changes the “we” to “I” when crediting that idea. I mean, if it did solely originate from his mind then yay him? But it just doesn’t sound good from a leadership role regardless.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Already answered, but I think it shows a lack of willingness to acknowledge the actual mistake. They're Implying the blame is on the development teams. That's real shitty, but sadly common in the industry.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So.... As a person who has no real stakes in this game and hasn't played it (so take what I say with a grain of salt) the overall major issue with this game from start to finish was a lack of any idea of what it was supposed to be.
The story, art and gameplay seem to have just been designed to "be cyberpunk" bit that kind of idea only works for making the art good and authentic.
The story is basic cyberpunk fare and the gameplay is fairly big standard. All of this wouldn't be as big of a problem as it is if the game wasn't hyped to high heaven or running on such a gigantic budget. Too much scope and not enough focus.
Essentially, the game ended up like Tetsuo at the end of the 'Akira' movie; a giant writhing mass incapable of controlling its own power.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Cyberpunk 2077's 1.2 patch, released earlier this week, weighs in at 33GB and includes nearly 500 fixes for the PC version of the game. That's a hefty patch, and it contains tons of important fixes for quests, gameplay systems, and the many, many, many bugs Cyberpunk 2077 shipped with. Despite the surprisingly long list of fixes and tweaks, the experience post-patch is ultimately about the same.

Yeesh, and that’s the least buggy PC version. Further details within the linked article above.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Cyberpunk 2077's 1.2 patch, released earlier this week, weighs in at 33GB and includes nearly 500 fixes for the PC version of the game. That's a hefty patch, and it contains tons of important fixes for quests, gameplay systems, and the many, many, many bugs Cyberpunk 2077 shipped with. Despite the surprisingly long list of fixes and tweaks, the experience post-patch is ultimately about the same.

Yeesh, and that’s the least buggy PC version. Further details within the linked article above.
I know its an older game and isn't the same, but just pointing out the Skyrim special edition, with all the DLC, is 13GB. cyberpunk on its own, without the patch, is 70GB. And it still barely works.