National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Anti-lockdown protesters stormed a government building with guns. They just happened to be white.
And didn't smash anything.

Didn't start fires.

Didn't steal stuff

Didn't harm employees

Left even cleaning up after themselves lol

Important to note, the protesters aren't targeting CNN specifically: the CNN building houses a police precinct.
Does it? Cause it seems strange they can be heard in the footage yelling "Fuck CNN"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Didn't start fires.

Didn't steal stuff

Didn't harm employees

Does it? Cause it seems strange they can be heard in the footage yelling "Fuck CNN"
The very fact they stormed a government building while armed and did not provoke a violent, if not lethal, response is in my view fucking damning. If idiots armed with shotguns attempted to storm NSW parliament I would expect Special Operations Group to cut them down where they stood.

Reactions: Sneed's SeednFeed

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The very fact they stormed a government building while armed and did not provoke a violent, if not lethal, response is in my view fucking damning. If idiots armed with shotguns attempted to storm NSW parliament I would expect Special Operations Group to cut them down where they stood.
Parliament is a big bit different to just a government building I'd say

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Parliament is a big bit different to just a government building I'd say
Sorry that's my fault: NSW Parliament is the Government main building for the State of NSW. It does not refer to the Australian Parliament House, located in Canberra. My point is it doesn't matter in my view if they're attempting to storm a vehicle licensing center or the seat of the sovereign; it is an armed assault by extremists and should be dealt with like one.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Sorry that's my fault: NSW Parliament is the Government main building for the State of NSW. It does not refer to the Australian Parliament House, located in Canberra. My point is it doesn't matter in my view if they're attempting to storm a vehicle licensing center or the seat of the sovereign; it is an armed assault by extremists and should be dealt with like one.
Except that would have gone down badly. The idea of only responding to actual violence seems to have meant the situation lead to not trouble in the end.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Except that would have gone down badly. The idea of only responding to actual violence seems to have meant the situation lead to not trouble in the end.
Yes, it would have gone badly - mainly for the untrained and uncoordinated idiots who thought they could march in to a building with weapons they had no right to be in en-masse at that time. The de facto response to an armed group seizing a building should be the one the British used when the Iranian Embassy was occupied by terrorists.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yes, it would have gone badly - mainly for the untrained and uncoordinated idiots who thought they could march in to a building with weapons they had no right to be in en-masse at that time. The de facto response to an armed group seizing a building should be the one the British used when the Iranian Embassy was occupied by terrorists.
because they killed people and took hostages not stood round like idiots doing nothing like lemons for a few hours then walked out.

Reactions: Anti-American Eagle

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Didn't start fires.

Didn't steal stuff

Didn't harm employees

They stormed the governor's office with guns. The police were busting out riot gear against people with signs in the street. There is very clearly two classes of response and it doesn't seem to be linked to threat.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Still should have been led out, in cuffs, by a fucking SWAT team at minimum.
Why when you can just visit their homes and pick em up later when they're alone and there is less risk?

They stormed the governor's office with guns. The police were busting out riot gear against people with signs in the street. There is very clearly two classes of response and it doesn't seem to be linked to threat.
Police were busting out the riot gear because Police kind of knew they'd face the brunt of the anger in this case.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Murder cop’s bail is 500k, holy fuck they’re allowing him bail.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
From watching this on CNN.. 4 white people running out of a Starbucks looting it in LA. A STARBUCKS. Leave it to white people to loot a Starbucks during a protest. They do not even have good coffee, why would anyone want anything out of there? Well okay one of them had milk.. so there's that. With so many unemployed right now needing milk might actually be reasonable. Though it is possible they are using it for burns.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And I hope you understand me. Often when I speak about Republicans, Fiscal Republicans, and 'The Cult', I do so with the express meaning of separating the three. I mention the Cult exclusively when I'm talking about those who follow Donald Trump around like he's the literal Messiah. I mention Republicans for a catch all phrase that merely deals with the mindset and policies, not the stereotypes. And I mention Fiscal Republicans who are the progressive version of the Republicans, who just have strong views about how we should spend our money and how we don't need a big government.

I don't believe all conservatives are jumping up and down with glee because pain befell a black man. I don't even believe 95% are happy. I believe there are a small faction who are genuinely happy that a minority man was killed, but those people have biases as is.

I do believe a much more significant number of Republicans and Democrats barely care what happens three steps beyond their door.

I talk to my conservative friends all the time. I just got off of a Zoom with two of my friends who are getting married. The future husband is conversative, the future wife is leaning that way more. And they are heartbroken about this. Please believe me, I do not believe Republicans live without a heart and/or consciousness. I could not in good faith even begin to say that when I've first-hand seen the kindness that Conservative people in my life freely give.

Like, and I mean this, you and I had our differences in the past. And I reacted to it. You tried to keep the avenue of speaking open, and I sat in my feelings. It took a lot of issues in my life, lurking at this forum for a bit, and then reading some of the stuff you post. And we might not see eye to eye on how to do things, but I legitimately believe you're trying with all you have to do your best for yourself and others. Intentions must be weighed. I can't fully say that people should be able to be different and not be able to deal with someone being different in a way that I can't deal with. I apologize for how I've acted in the past. I can't ask for forgiveness, but I can promise to do better.

And to your last issue, this is a perfect example of where I don't think we see eye to eye. I think it's more than reasonable to suggest that the majority of the populace have the power to do something about this. These are public servants. They can only get away with what we allow. And we allow this. We allow it when we stop watching the NFL in droves because how DARE politics get in the way of us seeing these historically marginalized people give each other CTEs?! When the 'audacity' of a person (or a dozen) using his platform to decry abuse, beatings, and murders is more important than the... well, the abuse, the beatings, and the murders, that's a clear message.

You can do whatever you want. Not enough people care.

And people say there's always a time and place. People have sat patiently under the heel of the boot for generations. And sadly, this is actually becoming literal.

When will be the time? When will be the place? What more can be a rallying cause than the evidence we've seen recently? Because it happens way too often to be the one offs and the exceptions that people want to paint them as.
I appreciate what you say. You dont need my forgiveness, or to do better, I love this place in part for the disagreement. It might not come through in the constant arguing, but I do hold most people here in reasonably high regard, you included. Thank you for being here.

When's the right time? Anytime that it isn't the wrong time, I guess. The anthem kneeling was something I argued with friends and family about. People saw it as disrespect, I tried to explain that of course they appreciate the flag and anthem or it wouldn't be seen as a powerful message. That message didn't land, and the initial leader of that action didn't help his case much with words. And when it stopped bringing up discussion of the issue and turned into it's own issue, it became the wrong time.

And like now. Protesting this killing was great, then people started burning things, so now it's the wrong time again for other cities to have protests in solidarity with a riot. Wait for the literal smoke to clear. Its l like separating to corners in boxing, when things degrade we need to step back and catch our breath. Anytime is the right time until things degrade and people hurt their own cause by pushing harder against someone already locked into fighting.

But like, even if everyone trying to do right made every right decision, it would still not be a solved problem. Racial bias is going to exist likely effectively forever, against the best wishes of good people. No actions, no legislation will be able to prevent every tragedy like this one. Human nature defies clean answers to eternal problems like racism, murder, or abuse of power. We can do better. I'd say we do better now than a century ago. We progress. And progress doesn't have a finish line, you just keep working at it forever.

Reactions: Trunkage

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Why when you can just visit their homes and pick em up later when they're alone and there is less risk?

Police were busting out the riot gear because Police kind of knew they'd face the brunt of the anger in this case.
Well I guess fuck the governor. Probably should pay for some McMercs if you want protection.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

Check this out. Reporter comes in to see whats happening and a cop in riot gear just comes up and starts blasting them with rubber bullets without saying a word.
Yea I saw that too, A lot of this, you have a bunch of cops being chill then out of nowhere you get these arses that are proving they have no business having a badge at all.

Then I am reminded of everyone I grew up that I knew with that became police officers. They were really the worst of the worst, breaking into people's houses and garages, attacking people, messed up on drugs cutting people with razor blades at a party.. yea.. There are a lot of people who have badges that NEVER should have been allowed to in the first place. We really need to start with job vetting, pay and training or this is never going to get better. It is a terrible job with horrible pay and even worse conditions. That is part of why it attracts people who only want the job to be able to legally hurt people and that is a big part of the problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.