Status
Not open for further replies.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It may not be precisely what it appears to be, but it's weird enough that it almost has to be real.
Yea, they elected Biff from back to the future as president so strange times we live in indeed.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Then I am reminded of everyone I grew up that I knew with that became police officers. They were really the worst of the worst, breaking into people's houses and garages, attacking people, messed up on drugs cutting people with razor blades at a party.. yea.. There are a lot of people who have badges that NEVER should have been allowed to in the first place. We really need to start with job vetting, pay and training or this is never going to get better. It is a terrible job with horrible pay and even worse conditions. That is part of why it attracts people who only want the job to be able to legally hurt people and that is a big part of the problem here.
The police force makes for an obviously attractive career route for people who enjoy hurting, bullying and pushing around others. Theoretically, police recruitment should be filtering those people out.

I’m fucking confused dude.
That could feasibly just be some crank parent who thinks it's his/her responsibility to maintain law and order, who got riot gear for their kids and misguidedly sent them out to do public duty.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Nutty, just seems everywhere is utterly nutty.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Something I’ve noted, a ton of the stuff that gets looted just immediately gets dumped on the ground for anybody who wants it to grab. Hints toward the idea that organized crime, which would be able to easily flip a large volume of material, isn’t a big part of this.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Something I’ve noted, a ton of the stuff that gets looted just immediately gets dumped on the ground for anybody who wants it to grab. Hints toward the idea that organized crime, which would be able to easily flip a large volume of material, isn’t a big part of this.
It isn't about about the " looting" , like the black guy who was destroying the Starbucks, he didn't actually take anything, he was destroying it. It was the white people who ran out with stuff in their hands, but it was more of just things they could use on the scene. Their expressed reason for destruction is they are " targeting the money" that sustains the power and system that is killing them to force them to do something to solve it. They figure if they target their money, it will force them into action and they can't just ignore the problem anymore.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
It isn't about about the " looting" , like the black guy who was destroying the Starbucks, he didn't actually take anything, he was destroying it. It was the white people who ran out with stuff in their hands, but it was more of just things they could use on the scene. Their expressed reason for destruction is they are " targeting the money" that sustains the power and system that is killing them to force them to do something to solve it. They figure if they target their money, it will force them into action and they can't just ignore the problem anymore.
Agreed, but I’m not interested in being overly optimistic. I obviously think anger at this economic systems is the prime part of it, and a general self-interest being the rest, but I’m wanting to be as honest as possible on this.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The police force makes for an obviously attractive career route for people who enjoy hurting, bullying and pushing around others. Theoretically, police recruitment should be filtering those people out.
It depends on which theory, of course. Also theoretically, all that the ruling class truly needs to care about is that the police won't turn on them. And people who are in it for the sadistic enjoyment of snuffing out a life or harassing innocent people rather than some notion of justice or order are easier to keep on their side; the job is part of their reward by itself.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
People tend to say trump has charisma, which I cannot see myself despite trying. This man has charisma and meaningful, emphatetic direction. Why can't he be elevated to presidency?
I wouldn't call him charismatic, really. I think he has swagger and braggadocio that comes across as extremely confident, and people often mistake confidence for competence. After that, he's very good at telling people what they want to hear. These are potential components of charisma, but in terms of a total package, he falls short. I might call him forceful, but there's a void in elements of being likeable or easily respected and admired which I'd expect for someone to be called charismatic.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The de facto response to an armed group seizing a building should be the one the British used when the Iranian Embassy was occupied by terrorists.
A quibble, but the British response involved sitting around for about a week, and only sending in the SAS once negotiations failed and the terrorists killed a hostage. The American terrorists didn't go that far, and a violent response is best avoided. Not to say that armed terrorists taking over a government building is a small thing, though.

(Someone did propose sneaking into the Iranian embassy at night with night vision and suppressed weapons and the terrorists not ever waking up, but that idea wasn't popular.)

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
This seems pretty intentional.

The guy was filmed murdering somebody choking them out over 8 minutes while people screamed at him that the guy was unresponsive. If that isn't easy to prove as first degree murder I don't know what is.

If you filmed me wrap my hands around a man and choke him to death for 8 minutes I think first degree murder would be incredibly easy to prove. It'd be like that first episode of Better Call Saul where the prosecutor just says nothing and wheels out a video of the people comitting the crime, the evidence speaks for itself.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I wouldn't call him charismatic, really. I think he has swagger and braggadocio that comes across as extremely confident, and people often mistake confidence for competence. After that, he's very good at telling people what they want to hear. These are potential components of charisma, but in terms of a total package, he falls short. I might call him forceful, but there's a void in elements of being likeable or easily respected and admired which I'd expect for someone to be called charismatic.
Well put, I see your point. There are certainly types of people who look up to that sort of behaviour, have noticed every now and then from own experiences even. The sort who don't quite seem capable of empathy, and desire only to enrich and empower themselves. Perhaps that is real charisma in their eyes.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well put, I see your point. There are certainly types of people who look up to that sort of behaviour, have noticed every now and then from own experiences even. The sort who don't quite seem capable of empathy, and desire only to enrich and empower themselves. Perhaps that is real charisma in their eyes.
There's a quote from Trial, episode 6 of series B of Blake's 7 by Chris Boucher I like:
Blake's 7 said:
Is it that Blake has a genius for leadership or merely that you have a genius for being led?

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia

You guys see the speech from Killer Mike? Awesome. I love the guy.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I appreciate what you say. You dont need my forgiveness, or to do better, I love this place in part for the disagreement. It might not come through in the constant arguing, but I do hold most people here in reasonably high regard, you included. Thank you for being here.

When's the right time? Anytime that it isn't the wrong time, I guess. The anthem kneeling was something I argued with friends and family about. People saw it as disrespect, I tried to explain that of course they appreciate the flag and anthem or it wouldn't be seen as a powerful message. That message didn't land, and the initial leader of that action didn't help his case much with words. And when it stopped bringing up discussion of the issue and turned into it's own issue, it became the wrong time.

And like now. Protesting this killing was great, then people started burning things, so now it's the wrong time again for other cities to have protests in solidarity with a riot. Wait for the literal smoke to clear. Its l like separating to corners in boxing, when things degrade we need to step back and catch our breath. Anytime is the right time until things degrade and people hurt their own cause by pushing harder against someone already locked into fighting.

But like, even if everyone trying to do right made every right decision, it would still not be a solved problem. Racial bias is going to exist likely effectively forever, against the best wishes of good people. No actions, no legislation will be able to prevent every tragedy like this one. Human nature defies clean answers to eternal problems like racism, murder, or abuse of power. We can do better. I'd say we do better now than a century ago. We progress. And progress doesn't have a finish line, you just keep working at it forever.
I agree with you that discrimination is just going to be here as long as humans are here. Not because it's right or something to be lauded, as I'm sure most of us agree with. But simply because of human need to feel special weighed with limited resources on this earth.

But the problem is how humanity accepts it. When you have to have your plight validated by an entire different culture for it actually to matter is the most dehumanizing thing there is. And that's what Blacks have to endure. Time in and time out. We have our protests, we have our walks, it gets a bit of news, and still nothing actually changes.

I don't agree with the damage, but I get it. There's a two sided coin here: How many protests will it take for people to stop being indifferent and realize that humans are suffering versus how many protest should people have before they realize they don't work? That they are busy work to make people feel like they are being 'heard' while those in power give hollow applause of "the American Spirit", but keep to business as usual.

This goes to my 'reign' comment earlier. The way the laws and rules are enforced just seems to be against blacks. I remember walking down the streets of Manhattan with white people smoking joints and cops did nothing. And even in a city where they say weed is basically decriminalized, last year Blacks and Latinos made up for 94% of the arrest in 2019. Even by their own data, whites, blacks, and latinos are doing it at the same amounts. Yet predominantly the non-whites are the only people suffering.

Why be civil when in a world that is bound and determined to treat you like lesser?

And didn't smash anything.

Didn't start fires.

Didn't steal stuff

Didn't harm employees

Left even cleaning up after themselves lol

Does it? Cause it seems strange they can be heard in the footage yelling "Fuck CNN"
I mean, they smashed each other. But that's fine, I guess?

That is the surface. The deeper matter is that we don't know how they would have acted if the lockdown was extended until the end of the year, because 52 days was enough to get them armed and boiling over with rage. Would it take 104 before the first shot was fired? And hell, on the surface, the protest worked. The President Tweeted His Support of the Michigan Protesters. Even if he's following his own agenda, you can not get more heard than that.

But Counterpoint. Black Lives Matter was 'founded' in July, 13, 2013. If you want, you can see the number of protests they took apart of over the years.

It is staggering. For the same issue. And this is just one movement I picked from just recently in our lives. I could have gone back to Reverend Jessie Jackson. I could have mentioned when the Black Panthers marched into a Government building in 1967, the state of California changed their gun laws overnight out of sheer fear.

So... yeah. Good to see the more things change, the more things stay the same, eh?

If the deck is stacked in another's favor, you shouldn't be surprised if the other players get enraged over constant cheating.

Last edited:

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Also very weird. Starting to think they’re waiting to see if they can get a narrative enough people will be ok with to start murdering protesters.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Also very weird. Starting to think they’re waiting to see if they can get a narrative enough people will be ok with to start murdering protesters.
Why isn't there a law against turning off body cameras?
That clearly means intent to commit brutality.

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Why isn't there a law against turning off body cameras?
That clearly means intent to commit brutality.
I mean the protests started because of the police not following due process. Looks like quite a few don't give a shit or get given orders to suspend it if they feel like it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Tonight might get a little extra spicy. All of the leaders are pleading with protesters to go home at the 8pm curfew.

A lot more National Guard members out (yesterday there were 500 and tonight supposedly there will be 1,700 of them) and supposedly they are actually going to be armed with live ammunition (though that is rumor and whatnot, no leaders or official channels have stated that as of now)...

MN DOT is shutting down all the highways leading into The Downtowns in a hour I'm not 100% sure but I think I can hear THE PURGE siren being tested right now

Status
Not open for further replies.