Loathed phrases/terms

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Does anyone want a moist one?! 'Cakes should be hard, dry, and difficult to swallow, like my soul' - Prue Leith (2020).
I for one, like my cakes nice an "mow-weest."

(And is that an actual quote? Because that's hilarious.)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
"Thoughts and prayers"

Far too often said by the kind of people who don't give a rat's ass but don't want to come off as such, so they blurt this out to ease their own conscience and make it look like they're doing something to help. Which they're not of course, because that is not quick, easy, cheap and free of all personal responsibility.
"Thank You For Your Service"

This one really irks me, as it's in the similar vein of thoughts and prayers, as it's said almost reflexively with little meaning behind it. And, having spoken a lot of veterans, they often don't like the phrase, as it makes them feel awkward as hell.

Reactions: Kwak and Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Whenever someone refers to their "partner," I automatically assume it's a same-sex deal. Not that I mind, mind you; "partner" just sounds like either she's a dude, or that we've settled into an arrangement devoid of romance.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
"Thank You For Your Service"

This one really irks me, as it's in the similar vein of thoughts and prayers, as it's said almost reflexively with little meaning behind it. And, having spoken a lot of veterans, they often don't like the phrase, as it makes them feel awkward as hell.
It is, I think, often said by people who don't like the military as an institution, or the things the military does, but are very aware that not saying it is the equivalent of jumping up and down on a poppy in front of the Cenotaph.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Partner?
Fuck Buddy?
None of Your Business Who She Is To Me?
I'll take that third option; can't think of a better way to start or end a prying conversation, and the air of mystery left in our wake as we exit the scene will make us the talk of the town.

Reactions: happyninja42

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thot

It even sounds like a word an asshole would use.

Reactions: happyninja42

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Whenever someone refers to their "partner," I automatically assume it's a same-sex deal. Not that I mind, mind you; "partner" just sounds like either she's a dude, or that we've settled into an arrangement devoid of romance.
You aren't wrong, really. I have a friend who I've often talked about fixing up houses with, and whenever we go to see them together, we always say we're partners, meaning business partners, but the responses from people showing us around very much indicate that they think we mean we're lovers and that makes people titter and be weird. Which is a shame is all the ways. I mean, what if we were? So what?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It is, I think, often said by people who don't like the military as an institution, or the things the military does, but are very aware that not saying it is the equivalent of jumping up and down on a poppy in front of the Cenotaph.
As someone who isn't particularly fond of the military as an institution, or the things the military does, I can say I never say it. And my friends who are equally anti-military as a concept don't say it either.

In the 12 years I've worked with veterans, I have seen it from those who are very gungho republican/conservative, and they are VERY pro-military. It just comes across as a reflexive response they've been conditioned into saying as soon as the word "veteran" is uttered by someone.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You aren't wrong, really. I have a friend who I've often talked about fixing up houses with, and whenever we go to see them together, we always say we're partners, meaning business partners, but the responses from people showing us around very much indicate that they think we mean we're lovers and that makes people titter and be weird. Which is a shame is all the ways. I mean, what if we were? So what?
I know right, I mean, if you guys are gay, then you clearly both know how to handle big lengths of wood right? So you'd think they'd be even more eager to have you as their fixer upper team!

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
At any point in time, almost any term popularised within the previous year through the internet should be sterilised by concentrated sulphuric acid and then banished with fire.

Reactions: Ender910

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Actually I was thinking about the thicker than water one, that I personally can't stand, given how little love I have for the majority of my family.
The original saying goes something like "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb", i believe, so... there's that.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I never liked the lgbtq term. It's a mouthful to just squish random letters together. I've heard some people say that they should instead call themselves QUILT or quiltbag.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Still searching for a word for my... well... "girlfriend." We're both in our 40s; "girlfriend" seems childish, "spouse" is too formal and not indicative of our actual status, "significant other" is too clinical and sounds like limp-dicked political correctness, and I can't, for the life of me, divine any socially acceptable occasion to call her my "lover." Taking suggestions.
You know I never liked the term partner when describing loving couples. It sounds way too informal and business like. I prefer terms like loved one, companion, or my other half.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The original saying goes something like "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb", i believe, so... there's that.
Never heard that. It's always been just the "blood is thicker than water" line, implying you need to treat your family with more importance than others. But it's a load of shit, as it implies that people you share genetics with, are somehow more important, simply because of that genetic connection. And that's just not the case most of the time.

I actually do, and let me tell you, no one wants dirty talk about the TRADA span tables.
Oh come on now....you know you wanna *turns down the lights, plays some Barry White music* "how ya doin' baby? Oooh, is that a length of pre-treated, single grain mahogany you have there? Oooh baby, now you're talking my language. Now you get out that sweet, sexy....TRADA span table you have, and lets....measure some lengths, and then pleasure twice, and cut once. OOOOOH yeaaaah."

Reactions: Baffle

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Still searching for a word for my... well... "girlfriend." We're both in our 40s; "girlfriend" seems childish, "spouse" is too formal and not indicative of our actual status, "significant other" is too clinical and sounds like limp-dicked political correctness, and I can't, for the life of me, divine any socially acceptable occasion to call her my "lover." Taking suggestions.
Go full Talia Al-Ghul and start calling her "My Beloved".

Talia did so much for a Young Obsidian knowing that women are the best thing that has ever happened in this world.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I prefer terms like loved one, companion, or my other half.
Not trying to sound like a neutered, submissive beta cuck either (no offense to submissive beta cucks.) Seriously, only house husbands wearing cardigans, khakis and white tennis shoes say stuff like that. Sounds like I'm sticking with "girlfriend;" it'll be cute when we're in our 70s, I guess.