Loathed phrases/terms

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Go full Talia Al-Ghul and start calling her "My Beloved".

Talia did so much for a Young Obsidian knowing that women are the best thing that has ever happened in this world.
Yeah, sultry dark haired ladies with stunning eyes, that's a personal weakness of mine as well. Can't say it's from Talia, but yeah, that "type" is definitely a turn on. I attribute mine to Francesca Annis from the David Lynch Dune film. Young Happyninja realized the power of sultry and confident older woman with smoldering eyes, due to that film. And Sean Young as Chani helped too, but...yeah, Lady Jessica....mmm.....I'll be in my bunk.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Go full Talia Al-Ghul and start calling her "My Beloved".

Talia did so much for a Young Obsidian knowing that women are the best thing that has ever happened in this world.
To her face? Maybe. But in referring to her to a third party, I'll just come off as a pretentious asshole. You'd think with a language as flexible and fluid as English, it wouldn't be hard to find a fitting word for a couple committed to one another and co-habitating without the actual bonds marriage that respects the distinction from casual/more recent/young relationships. Maybe I'll just start calling her my "intimate emergency contact." That respects our age and signifies her with a distinct importance in my life, right?

Reactions: ObsidianJones

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
To her face? Maybe. But in referring to her to a third party, I'll just come off as a pretentious asshole. You'd think with a language as flexible and fluid as English, it wouldn't be hard to find a fitting word for a couple committed to one another and co-habitating without the actual bonds marriage that respects the distinction from casual/more recent/young relationships. Maybe I'll just start calling her my "intimate emergency contact." That respects our age and signifies her with a distinct importance in my life, right?
I mean, I feel you. But I'm so much about doing things that entertain myself that all I can think up are silly names.

BBB (stands for "Bouncy Butt Buddy")
My Soul Stealer.
My Power Ranger.
My Future Murderer.
The Accomplice to my Benign Machinations
My Adepta Sororitas

Just say as many as you can and the one that doesn't get you hit, you keep.

~edit. As with all things, Futurama already had the answer.

Fonfon Ru

~second edit within five seconds. WAIT, is it too late to call her your "Ryde or Die"? You can only do that if you can pronounce the 'Y'

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean, I feel you. But I'm so much about doing things that entertain myself that all I can think up are silly names.

My Soul Stealer.
My Power Ranger.
My Future Murderer.
My Adepta Sororitas

I'm thinking of a term for her status with me, not necessarily a pet name between us (we're boring, both just call each other "babe.") I also call her "woman" when I'm putting on an alpha male facade, to which I get an eye-roll then immediately ignored.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

My Soul Stealer.
My Power Ranger.
My Future Murderer.
My Adepta Sororitas

~edit. As with all things, Futurama already had the answer.

Fonfon Ru

~second edit within five seconds. WAIT, is it too late to call her your "Ryde or Die"? You can only do that if you can pronounce the 'Y'
To reference Futurama for this subject, a show I never really watched but, perhaps SnuSnu Teammate/Partner could work.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Thoughts and prayers would have been a good phrase if it wasn't said by horrible indifferent people who make empty promises.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Botched proverbs, taken out of context, that completely 180 the original meaning. "Blood is thicker than water", "Pull yourself by the bootstraps" etc.
One that gets me is the "Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind". It sounds good in theory but the whole idea of "An eye for an eye" literally means punishment can't be dispropropiate to the crime. Taking out someone's eye can't warrant a death sentence, but rather the worst should be your eye is taken in return(but could very well warrent jail time or compensation to the injured party)

So under "An eye for an eye", you couldn't kill someone as punishment unless that person caused the death of someone as their crime.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Boo" or "bae".

Either as terrible words, or as suggestions for what you should call your GF when you are too old to say GF.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"I liked/watched/read/played X before it was cool or popular!" Fuck off with your hipster shit! No one cares! The book, game, comic, movie, or show was not just made for "you" in mind. Stop trying to act like your "with it" (look cool), because it's impossible to be on top or with everything.

"X is not good because Y people latched on to it!" No! Don't start! You can still enjoy the whatever despite whoever else is enjoying it.

Just joking, kidding, or just a prank bro. People like that are narcissistic douche bags.

"If everyone did this or jumped off a bridge, would you?"That shit is usually used for closing argument someone can't win or does not want to debate, despite the person starting the argument is eager to close it early.

"This is how we do it in [insert city, town, state, country, or continent!]". Congragu-fucking-lations, you are not in home whatever anymore and completely different place with values, ethics, and rules. They may be right, they may be wrong. Either way, does not give you to the right to act like a socially retarded asshole or insensitive jerk off that knows better than everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"If everyone did this or jumped off a bridge, would you?"That shit is usually used for closing argument someone can't win or does not want to debate, despite the person starting the argument is eager to close it early.
Dunno about that one, it's lots of fun to say to people older than you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dunno about that one, it's lots of fun to say to people older than you.
At times yes, but I've seen people my age (including when I was a teenager and in my mid twenties) and older used that excuse when they know to have nothing to fall back on.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Can't believe I forgot this one.

It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

I've lost count of how many times I've heard that at work, from religious shitheads, but wow did that line come up a lot in my waiting room at work. Haven't heard it much lately, for the last few years, but man it was a regular one all the time from our hyper religious clients with nothing better to do but smear their religious shit everywhere they go.

Reactions: BrawlMan

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'm not a big fan of the term Person of Color. It sounds too close to the Jim Crow era 'colored people' term to be a positive thing.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Pretty much all corporate buzz words/phrases. My boss is a poster child for how to be a corporate shill, and every conversation with him becomes a chore within a scant few sentences; he sounds like he’s reading directly out of a “how to be successful in business” book. He’s a nice enough guy and affords me the autonomy I like, but Jesus, you were human before you were “the man,” dude. Just last week, he asked me, and I quote: “how’s your mental health” in an attempt to clarify he wasn’t speaking generally during our weekly “how’s everything going” touchbase. It was hard to take such a forced concern question seriously; I didn’t know what to say, like, was there any potential I was going to break down and spill any appreciable amount of mental anguish at his feet? We work for a retailer; I’m as mentally healthy as every other disaffected cog in this consumerist machine, just not as disillusioned as he’d like, I guess.
Has he never seen either version of "The Office"?

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
"Hi, how's it going/how ya doing," etc... when it's a stranger you're just acknowledging.
Like, that's a bit personal, can't we just leave it at g'day or howdy?
They always get it in immediately, like, no delay at all. I wonder if that means they won?
And do they really want me to answer that, do they really want to know? And do I also have to enquire as to their current mental state, or will me just lying and saying 'good thanks' satisfy the expected social requirements?

And it's invariably followed up by "that's the way".

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'd at the very damn least be ready to, under the assumption that a large group of people are not likely to have all lost their minds simultaneously in the last minute and may actually be responding to a threat.
I believe Catch 22 had an answer to this.
"What if everyone felt the way you did?"
"Then I'd be damn fool to feel any other way".

Though if you really want to mess with them;
"If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you?"
"Hell no. There's a bunch of free stuff to go pick up"