#001 - Twice Daily

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Will this be going full grimdark?
If so, the team is a bit tone deaf to open up with an anthropomorphic panda chatting Erin up. It would be like a documentary on David Berkowitz with the role of Harvey played by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

As to who the hell the panda is, don't ask me why, but I feel like he's Bubsy.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
This seems like a extended version of that one arc they did on Critical Miss and it was depressing then, I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy it.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Does this mean critical miss will be a fun story about a girl seeing VG characters again? rather than a long series of jabs against straight white males and sometimes EA.

Because I'd rather see Erin talk about the state of Pc games with Zangief or Klonoa, rather than that bizarre looking red eyed thing that seems to be her colleague.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I'm confused- what's with the red panda? They're super cool but he's not a video game character... is he?
Red Pandas are fantastic and there does not need to be an excuse to include.

But why the bleak title and oppressive, moody art style?

In either case, I'm not going to complain about more Critical Miss stuff...it's like "30 Rock" but with videogames :3

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Zydrate said:
This seems like a extended version of that one arc they did on Critical Miss and it was depressing then, I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy it.
Lessons have been learned from that one, believe me. Put me off writing long arcs for, like, two years.

NiPah said:
I'm looking forward to this, I'm also interested in the "choose the manufacturer and pricing of our own merchandise".
Good merch is my favorite way to support artists I love.
The Escapist's line of character body pillows is sorely lacking.

verdant monkai said:
Does this mean critical miss will be a fun story about a girl seeing VG characters again? rather than a long series of jabs against straight white males and sometimes EA.
Well, if your definition of a "long series of jabs" is four strips out of five hundred, then no, probably not, mate.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
The Wooster said:
Zydrate said:
Lessons have been learned from that one, believe me. Put me off writing long arcs for, like, two years.
It was mostly that it just seemed devoid of humor. I'm not fond of the "Crazy person becoming a harm to others and themselves" line of storytelling. Lessons learned? I hope so. I'll give the series a try, the art seems glorious but I'm not one for "Everything is going to shit". Part of the reason I couldn't stand to watch Walking Dead after Season 2, and another part of the reason why Game of Thrones has given me emotional fatigue to the point I might stop watching the show at some point.
These things need a glimmer of hope and when there isn't any, I stop watching or reading the content.

Food for thought.

Happyninja42 said:
So, what, 2 different comic strips about the same psychotic, mentally unstable gaming *****? Yay? Oh wait no, that's the wrong reaction. NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.

Seriously, since it's called Erin dies, let her die. Draw something else.
You must be fun at parties.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I can't wait for more of this, we need more content here.
Happyninja42 said:
So, what, 2 different comic strips about the same psychotic, mentally unstable gaming *****? Yay? Oh wait no, that's the wrong reaction. NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo.

Seriously, since it's called Erin dies, let her die. Draw something else.
I found the perfect magic card for you!
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=5761&type=card

NotEvenOnce

Not ever, if possible
Jun 28, 2012
This is amazing. Critical Miss has always been my favorite thing on the Escapist, and I'm pumped to see more of it in just about any form. You two are great, and I'm sure EDA will be too.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Why do I have the feeling that at the end of this, Erin is going to die alone?

... Come to think of it, why do I get the feeling that when this ends, Critical Miss is going to end too?

How interconnected is the Continuity?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Why do I have the feeling that at the end of this, Erin is going to die alone?

... Come to think of it, why do I get the feeling that when this ends, Critical Miss is going to end too?

How interconnected is the Continuity?
Not at all. Completely different worlds.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
It's about videogames, isolation and the terrible inevitability of death?

Choo choo, all aboard the fun train!

klovervibe

Nov 30, 2011
I've missed the old story strips. Was a little disappointed when CM first went daily gag. EDA is exactly what I've been hoping for. Good luck, guys!

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
The Wooster said:
We're working ahead by about a month's worth of strips (so roughly 8-9 strips) and I've got rough plans for 4 arcs, which ideally last about 9 strips each. I want to keep the pacing fairly quick.

As for tone; Cory and I have been going for a more Calvin & Hobbes/Count Your Sheep, family-friendly angle but with enough dark elements to keep Erin grounded as a character. Despite the grim title, Erin Dies Alone is actually a much lighter strip than CM. It's less violent, cynical and mean.
Good!

The title had me a bit worried (I'm good on grimdark these days), but that actually sounds pretty awesome.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
This seems very cool, in line with your other stuff. This seems like it's a little bit more personal maybe. Very good art style though. I really like you guys and your way of telling a story in a few short panels. Cool man. I thought of the little dude as like, a Sonic parody or something. Not sure how the pills tie into it, or the expression on the girl's face, but this looks "fun". Interesting. Good luck to you all! Looking forward to the next one and getting a bit of context! I really like the work you guys do!

JJShaw

Dec 19, 2011
Pyramid Head said:
Even if this does look like it could get a little melodramatic, i'm still looking forward to it.
Mostly because i want to find out what the fuck Mini-Mol's real name is.
Seren, though I've no idea which strip it was in.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I suddenly feel like this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/108-Webcomics

Will never lose its relevance

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Having grown quite attached to Erin over the years, I think this is gonna be a distressing read.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Maaaany people commenting without bothering to read less than two pages of a forum thread (or even less, if they can zero in on the conspicuous avatar and yellow title). Surprised, I am not.

Not sure what to expect from this but I can dig it. Thumbs up.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well this is gonna be a cheery little piece, eh?
Just don't do a miscarriage story line, because comedic webcomics never recover from that.