$100 Gift Card

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Just sell it to someone else for full price, randomly go up to people shopping at Borders, you know they were going to buy books anyways...

aeonite

Oct 17, 2007
JRCB said:
Discworld novels, Dream Theater, Muse, probably search for a CD of a new band, maybe some Boy Soldier books.
The new Dream Theater is kind of a let down. The first track in particular reeks of lame. I love Dream Theater too so it pains me to say this.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
I don't know... Buy lots of music from bands you like, and maybe some Novels? I would see if they have a copy of Pet Semetary...

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
Sell it on ebay....you'll probably get 90$ at the least, which can then be put towards whatever the hell you want.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:
Discworld novels, Dream Theater, Muse, probably search for a CD of a new band, maybe some Boy Soldier books.
All Dream Theater and Muse albums deserve to be bought.

Also, the book Nineteen Eighty-Four is required, by law, to be in every person's collection.
Never heard of this "Nineteen Eighty-Four"; why is it compulsory?
Oh lord, just you wait...

Ok, so basically this book was written by George Orwell (his real name is Eric Arthur Blair, but the pen name is much cooler) in 1949 and it was basically a prediction of what the future (the year 1984 specifically) would hold in store for us. It's a dystopian future where war is endless, citizens live in constant fear, and the government is a controlling dictatorship.

Obviously, his prediction was incorrect, but still very realistic. Nineteen Eighty-Four is more relevant now than ever. I've seen many issues and events happening in the world that instantly bring this book to mind.

Instant classic. Seriously.
WE HAVE A WINNER! Its on the list. Sounds like a ridiculously good read.
AWW SWEET! What did I win?

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Become a Borders Rewards member, then wait for a 40% off coupon and buy the Complete Calvin and Hobbes. Unless they don't sell that in Australia. Then just buy a ton of bookmarks.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

Also, the book Nineteen Eighty-Four is required, by law, to be in every person's collection.

Ok, so basically this book was written by George Orwell (his real name is Eric Arthur Blair, but the pen name is much cooler) in 1949 and it was basically a prediction of what the future (the year 1984 specifically) would hold in store for us. It's a dystopian future where war is endless, citizens live in constant fear, and the government is a controlling dictatorship.

Obviously, his prediction was incorrect, but still very realistic. Nineteen Eighty-Four is more relevant now than ever. I've seen many issues and events happening in the world that instantly bring this book to mind.

You mean the knowledge that you have spread the joy of a good novel is not satisfaction enough? In that case you get:
Oh god they look good.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Comics, they're like game cut scenes but not really. Or if they sell drinks you now have a $100 worth of soda or coffee.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

You mean the knowledge that you have spread the joy of a good novel is not satisfaction enough? In that case you get:
Oh god they look good.
Looks like something I'd use to throw at my neighbor's house when he pisses me off. I think I'll stick with the satisfaction, thanks.

karp250

Jul 10, 2009
if you are interested in 1984 you might want to also try amusing ourselves to death and Fahrenheit 451 if u have not read either of those. Also while i have not read it Brave New world also sounds interesting.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

I...I'm speechless. Never read 1984? I can't even compare this to anything. This is like...I don't know...if you have never played Half Life, Mario, or Street Fighter, never seen The Matrix, Aliens or Star Wars, and never listened to Stairway to Heaven, Freebird, or Bohemian Rhapsody combined. If you haven't done those 9 things, that approaches the blasphemy of never reading 1984.

I just realized I may appear biased...

::Edit:: though not as insane, Discworld is another must read. One day I picked up a few random Discworld books on a whim, and they ended up being my reading material for the next year, during which time I read every last one.

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
I've been meaning to get the third Sword of Truth book for quite a while now, so definitely that. I might find some boxed sets of TV shows I like, if they are for a reasonable price (would probably have to be on sale.) Then, I'd browse. I love browsing book stores. If I really couldn't find anything, and wasn't looking forward to a new release coming up, I'd probably get replacements for some of my books that are starting to show some wear, like the Star Wars X-Wing series.

Sep 6, 2009
The_Healer said:
The store in which it is valid - Borders (Sells books, movies and music for those outside of Australia)
We have Borders in America too. Double entandra anybody?

OT: Buy some novels, they actually are wonderfully entertaining and are more portable than a game system.

And I'm curious, why did you win the gift card? What special feat did you accomplish to be endowed with a monetary reward from your educational facility?

karp250

Jul 10, 2009
also christopher moore is the the funniest author i have ever read and anything by him is pure gold

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
The_Healer said:
SniperWolf427 said:
JRCB said:

I...I'm speechless. Never read 1984? I can't even compare this to anything. This is like...I don't know...if you have never played Half Life, Mario, or Street Fighter, never seen The Matrix, Aliens or Star Wars, and never listened to Stairway to Heaven, Freebird, or Bohemian Rhapsody combined. If you haven't done those 9 things, that approaches the blasphemy of never reading 1984.

I just realized I may appear biased...

::Edit:: though not as insane, Discworld is another must read. One day I picked up a few random Discworld books on a whim, and they ended up being my reading material for the next year, during which time I read every last one.
Well I've done all of those things... 1984 must be something that just got missed out somewhere along the way. I'll be sure to pick it up.
Whats the deal with "Discworld"?