The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard Review

The blood is the life.

Read Full Article

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Steve Butts said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard Review
... at the end of the video... was that you trying to murder some butterflies with vampire powers? That's dark man... like "supporting the Stormcloaks unironicly" dark.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Swimming towards Solitude? Um, you just have to use a boat. Also, you CAN push your followers out of the way when they're blocking a door way. And the mounted horse combat was added in a patch, not this DLC (Just pointing out, not a point of contention with the review or anything).

Anyway, yeah, this DLC isn't worth the $20 and the Soul Cairn is terrible.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
So more of exactly what I disliked about Skyrim to begin with. Impactless, consequence-free gameplay. Just a few extra toys fill the meaningless game world with.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Duffeknol said:
So more of exactly what I disliked about Skyrim to begin with. Impactless, consequence-free gameplay. Just a few extra toys fill the meaningless game world with.
So much this.

Michael Poe

Jul 3, 2012
Duffeknol said:
Hell, it's even more consequence-free than before. They took out the hated at the most starved stage effect to idiot proof being a vampire now that everyone will become one.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Want to do better on horseback?

Dont try turning around in melee, run off a way and come back for a pass at people.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Wait, so once again in games I am not allowed to be a super powerful villain? Seriously, the trailer gave me the impression that I would be able to help blot out the sun, but apparently we don't want to get too crazy here. I mean, god forbid there be an interesting choice in Skyrim...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Surprised how many people dislike Skyrim in the comments. However I understand it's not for everyone. Still, I think Dawnguard was worth my $20 plus despite some stuff lacking from the two major groups- the items, the perks for werewolves/vampire lords, and more.. it is worth it :D
To be honest, I was planning on buy skyrim when it came out as GOTY edition. Same deal with Fallout, no point buying the game and the DLC seperate when its cheaper to wait.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
*End of the video*

CURSES! A RIVER! DX

I CANNOT CROSS IT...

Ooh! A butterfly. ^.^

KILL IT! >:D

OT: I wish I had Skyrim to begin with. :(

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I've enjoyed it. Although, I've started up the Dawnguard quests on a character that hasn't been to Blackreach yet and I'm not really looking forward to making that trek ... again. Maybe I should just train the whole zone, find a high vantage point and fire up the old Lightning Storm ...

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Yeah, I never really liked Skyrim as much as Oblivion, and this DLC, and other people's comments really are justifying my point. I'm starting to think that the success of Bethesda's recent games has gotten to their head somewhat, and when a large majority of Oblivion fans weren't too impressed with Skyrim, they just lobbed in a load of stuff people were asking for in Oblivion to make it appeal to them too. I heard countless people request Horse-back combat, Crossbows, Polearms, and almost an extra god knows how much of Dawnguard's content for Oblivion back when, and now they just throw them in like mad. If they put in throwing weapons (A well missed concept from earlier Elder Scrolls games.) in the next Skyrim DLC, I think it's fair to declare it official that Bethesda are just trying too hard to appeal to everyone. I think it's also pretty fair to say that a good majority of people only bought Skyrim because of the stupid "arrow to the knee" joke (If you can call it that.), or Oblivion's success. I may sound like I'm bashing Skyrim for being popular, but it's just generally worse than Oblivion in every aspect, and not even all that good without comparison anyway. I must say, though, the graphics of Skyrim were actually awfully impressve (With few exceptions.), with special mention going to improved beast races, especially Khajiits (Though the horns on Argonians really didn't quite suit, and were probably just added to make them look closer to dragons. I want my Dorsal Ridges god damnit!... However, the head feathers were pretty cool. Still rather have ridges, mind you.).

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
My complaint with the DLC isn't necessarily with the content - I'd go so far as to say that the locations and scenery and power additions and whatnot were some of the best in the game. My issues were with the - *gasp* - story.

Regardless of who you "side" with, the entirety of the plot more or less proceeds in a matter identical to one another. No matter what, you're going to end up killing the same big-bad, so becoming a vampire for the sake of being one yourself doesn't work out. While the vampire follower is probably the best in the game as a whole, being shafted into sympathizing with her and doing everything she says made the whole thing feel as railroaded as hell. I was admittedly disappointed with the eternal darkness thing not being, well, eternal, but at least I can say that my arrows blot out the sun.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
You can summon the horse outside the soul cairn? Hmmm, Shadowmere is still cooler. Still need to go be a werewolf again to check out those new perks. Or to see what happens if you walk into the expansion as a werewolf since technically they're immune to diseases like vampirism.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
That bit about the story is disappointing. I wanted to join the vampires so I could blot out the sun myself!

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
It strikes me as odd that they bothered to give you a choice if they weren't going to commit to making it meaningful. I mean why bother? Just make a vampire DLC. Who is going to miss the Dawnguard? Maybe they felt the DLC had to have an option for 'good' characters who did not want to be vampires. That puts them in a weird position, I guess. But Knights of the Nine didn't have an opposing 'bad' faction to join and it was quite popular. I'unno'.

Still, though I have not beaten it, I think there is a lot of value in the Dawnguard DLC. There are a lot of improvements and features I would really hate to do without. It also turned vampires and werewolves from something I had to try but would likely never use into something I'll probably use regularly. And as much as I hate to admit it, vanilla Skyrim was hurtin' for another long questline.

So far, all the reviews I have read complain either that there is no new territory a la Shivering Isles or that the two questlines are too similar. Both are minor letdowns. I think Kotaku even said it was a 'don't buy'. But it's well done overall and a good value for $20. It seems to me Dawnguard is pretty high quality stuff, it's just not what people were hoping for. Let's face it, we wanted the next Bloodmoon! Personally, I would gladly take two proper expansions over one expansion and a slew of DLC.

Fingers crossed for a full-fledged expansion next!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
You know for a guy who has lived for centuries, he's rather short sided in plan making. Sure, on the short term getting to go outside all the time would be great, but they'd have a distinct regression in their food sources in not too long. Hope they like munching on Falmer and Chaurus.