11 Million Modern Warfare Achievements Unlocked in One Day

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
11 Million Modern Warfare Achievements Unlocked in One Day

Grossing half a billion USD in less than a week, Modern Warfare 2 was the most successful entertainment release of all time, but it didn't just set financial records - the blockbuster FPS shattered Xbox Live numbers as well.

Yes, yes, I know you're tired of hearing about MW2 already, because we are too (and if you're not, you're probably playing MW2) but the damn thing keeps making news. While the title may not have sold this press release from Activision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96054-Did-Modern-Warfare-2-Sell-7-Million-Copies-in-One-Day].

[blockquote]Modern Warfare 2's launch beat all previous first-and five-day entertainment industry box office, book and video game sell-through records*:

-- The largest reported five-day opening worldwide box office gross figures, held by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($394 million)
-- The largest reported five-day opening domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($203.8 million)
-- The largest reported five-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (6 million units, $500 million)
-- The largest reported opening first-day domestic box office gross figures, held by The Dark Knight ($66.4 million)
-- The largest reported first-day book sales in dollars, held by Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows ($220 million)
-- The largest reported first-day worldwide video game sales record, previously held by Grand Theft Auto IV (3.6 million units, $310 million)
[/blockquote]

While these numbers are probably enough to help Bobby Kotick sleep well at night with visions of cash registers going ka-CHING in his head, it's interesting to note that of the $550m Modern Warfare 2 grossed in five days, $310m of that was in its first 24 hours - a perfect example of the steep drop-off seen with most game releases.

Nor were all the records solely financial in nature, as the game set milestones on Xbox Live, and I don't just mean the two million concurrent users [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96096-XBox-Live-Hits-2-Million-Concurrent-Users], either. In one day, more than 2.2 million unique Xbox users logged more than 5.2 million multiplayer hours in Modern Warfare 2, and unlocked over 11 million Achievements. Good Golly, Miss Molly - these aren't numbers to sneeze at. They aren't numbers to shoot at, either.

There's a pun in here somewhere about MW2 enticing gamers to spend more time with Soap than some of them have in the past year, but I'll let you guys make that one yourselves.

Renoozo

Nov 14, 2009
I'm not tired of hearing about MW2, I love it. But MW3 will be a hard act to follow with all the records in place - wonder if they'll quit the MW series while their ahead, most likely giving their accountants a heart attack.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
most successful entertainment release of all time
KAAAAAAANYEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm having trouble keeping track of all the MW2 numbers that are floating around these days.

There's a pun in here somewhere about MW2 enticing gamers to spend more time with Soap than some of them have in the past year, but I'll let you guys make that one yourselves.
Most gamers smell bad and have terrible bathing habits.

[sub]Sometimes you've gotta tell it like it is.[/sub]

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Shit that is fucking ridiculous the amount of money that MW 2 made. It would be really really to have some stocks in Infinity Ward right now.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
You know, it isn't bad that Modern Warfare 2 broke all those records. It's bad that in the same time many related people broke all records in douchebaggery.

No, seriously. MW2 is definetly a humongous hit, but remember - all this money won't go to support creativity. It's going to Bobby fucking Kotick, who wants games EXCLUSIVELY as a source of profit.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Asehujiko said:
They also broke the record for shitty customer treatment and support.
Hardly, there are companies that are way worse.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Yeah, I'm tired of hearing about it now. I'll buy it when I'm bored of everything else, I'm not exactly falling off my chair for the game.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
I know a few people that have it platinum'd already. There's no online achievements at all, It's a pretty easy game to 100%. I wouldn't be surprised if some achievement/trophy whore out there got it within 24hrs.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Ok, seriously.... comparing a lot of apples to oranges here...

1. Movie tickets are what, $12.50? $15 USD in some places?
2. The average price of the Harry Potter book was about $20 USD.

Modern Warfare 2 cost pretty much a minimum of $40 USD with most copies going in the $60-$70 USD range, not to mention limited editions.

The only facts that are even remotely relevant here are the comparisons to GTA IV. Whoever compiled this report is just being a douchebag.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
I have not yet played the game.

But Damn am I sick of hearing of it !!!!!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehroc said:
I doubt Escapist is sick of it.
Much as I hate to tell you "no," and ruin perfectly good conspiracy theories, I'm pretty sure that the news team wouldn't shed tears if the game suddenly stopped being newsworthy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Glad to see the achievement/trophy system (the game industries' version of neilsen ratings) is working out well for them. Too bad they're useless to gamers.

Wasn't sony supposed to be making some sort of reward system for trophies? What happened with that?

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Im bored about hearing about this. Ok, it did well. This can mean go Inifinity Ward or "wow, people sure did pay a lot to order this game months and months before it was released". This just means they can bring out a half assed next attempt as a sequel, knowing that their fan base is now unbelieveabley huge, and still make big money.
I enjoy the game like, so I do hope they consider carrying on the MW path rather than WW1 and 2, but the hype really needs to die down and for it to be just that: a good game.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
I have not yet played the game.

But Damn am I sick of hearing of it !!!!!
I second that emotion.

If I hear anything about MW2 a few more times, I run the risk of participating in a live action airport scene.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Still not buying it. I'll probably give it a rental some time in the next year but IW are not having my money. Now let's never speak of it again.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
$550 million...yeh that is nice. Curious to know how comfortable a bed made of money must be.