#111: Point Blank

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
flying_whimsy said:
RJ 17 said:
Ahhhh I still love how Gunny is always so perfectly angled so that the bottom line of his visor can be a stand-in for his mouth, thus giving a man whose expression we cannot see a surprising amount of expressive ability.

Like that "Hehehe, fuck you" smile he gives in the 3rd-to-last panel. :3
Holy crap, I never noticed that. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read all of the strips in this to see what his expression is. I wish master chief had that much facial expression.

See, this is why Gunny can't masturbate: his hands crush steel and set off primer charges.
You'll find that the visor line does indeed carry the "expression" one would assume he'd have considering his personality/what's being discussed/what's going on. It's a clever little art-trick that they're pulling off. Someone else noticed it in one of the first few comics that he was featured in, and ever since then it's been standing out to me.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Space marines can be very over powered but gunny is going to come out of this more battered than ever tbh.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Ukomba said:
RatGouf said:
Sword sliced through Tank Bullets & nothing happens.

Sword stabs Tank Bullet then Gunny squeezes the Tank Bullet causing it to explode.

I have no idea how gunpowder works....
Depending on the explosive, it's not always that easy to set them off, and for sure a shearing force from a sword wouldn't d o it. Gunny compressed the primer at the base which sets off the explosives. Not sure if compression like that would set off a primmer or if it's the percussive force that triggers the chemical reaction, but it's fantasy so oh well ;).
Percussive force sets off the primer. The center of a primer has to be impacted to ignite the gunpowder. It's called a firing pin, it snaps forward when the trigger is pulled, it impacts the primer which creates heat which ignites the gun-powder. Squeezing it will not do that. If anything, the saber going through the shell and the percussion cap should have caused detonation; as it pierced the percussion cap, the squeezing of the shell should not. Even then, the shell is out of a firing chamber, so the shell casing will just explode, fragmenting in a circle around it, and the round will drop off since it's too heavy to be propelled by an uncontrolled explosion, the round needs to be confined to a barrel to force it towards a target.

The whole thing is unrealistic, but it's fun. I like Gunny.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Vern said:
Ukomba said:
RatGouf said:
Sword sliced through Tank Bullets & nothing happens.

Sword stabs Tank Bullet then Gunny squeezes the Tank Bullet causing it to explode.

I have no idea how gunpowder works....
Depending on the explosive, it's not always that easy to set them off, and for sure a shearing force from a sword wouldn't d o it. Gunny compressed the primer at the base which sets off the explosives. Not sure if compression like that would set off a primmer or if it's the percussive force that triggers the chemical reaction, but it's fantasy so oh well ;).
Percussive force sets off the primer. The center of a primer has to be impacted to ignite the gunpowder. It's called a firing pin, it snaps forward when the trigger is pulled, it impacts the primer which creates heat which ignites the gun-powder. Squeezing it will not do that. If anything, the saber going through the shell and the percussion cap should have caused detonation; as it pierced the percussion cap, the squeezing of the shell should not. Even then, the shell is out of a firing chamber, so the shell casing will just explode, fragmenting in a circle around it, and the round will drop off since it's too heavy to be propelled by an uncontrolled explosion, the round needs to be confined to a barrel to force it towards a target.

The whole thing is unrealistic, but it's fun. I like Gunny.
I was assuming a 100% shear force for the saber, given it's performance on the tank. Sure, in reality a sword would impart pressure as it cuts.

On a smaller scale, Myth busters has shown normal bullets will fire off, if less effectively, while outside a gun barrel.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
So I take it in the game logic, this was intended to be a "supposed to lose fight" that Gunny is just wrecking the difficulty curve of?