Ubisoft Eyeballs THQ

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Eyeballs THQ

Ubisoft is reportedly in negotiations with THQ to acquire its studios and IP.

THQ filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121188-THQ-Files-For-Chapter-11-Bankruptcy] and announced a $60 million asset purchase agreement with "stalking horse bidder" Clearlake Capital Group, but now it looks like another player could be in the running: publishing giant Ubisoft, which MCV says is already involved in "lengthy discussions" about an acquisition.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has previously expressed interest in THQ's properties. "They have good things," he told GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-13-ubisofts-guillemot-on-evolving-audiences-and-the-wii-u] in November. "We are always interested in good brands. For sure, it's something we can consider, but I can't tell you more."

The issue, according to the report, is price, as Ubisoft is apparently holding out for a fire sale and may wait until THQ is forced to break up and sell off individual assets. The stalking horse bid would seem to preclude that possibility, however, unless Ubisoft is expecting to acquire the assets from Clearview Capital, which I would think would mean substantially higher prices per property since, unlike THQ, it could afford to sit on them until it got the price it wanted.

THQ has five studios to its name, plus franchises including Saints Row, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Homefront, Metro and Red Faction, plus WWE and Warhammer licenses. A successful acquisition would make Ubisoft, already a big player, a much more powerful force in the videogame industry.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-plots-thq-bid/0108645]

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
...dammit.

I can't really think of any of those game being improved by Ubisoft's current 'one game a year from each IP' model (note that I really only know about Darksiders, Saint's Row, and Metro).

And I was having so much fun with Darksiders.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Dont really see much to worry about.

Ubisoft isnt known for buying out and stripping the competition of valuable IPs.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
but...THQ owns Relic. And Relic are the ones who make the Dawn of War games.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*boom*

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
lets see.. have a game company aquire another game company and maybe at least have an option of producing those games. or have its debt holders sell it off in pieces and never see the games again...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Oh dear Zombie Christ, no. This was what the Mayans were ACTUALLY predicting as the end of the world! We'll lose decent Warhammer games!

*Suicide*

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Of the three big publishers, EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, I honestly would rather Ubisoft get them. At least Ubisoft wants to try and release new IP every now and again, and they did do a nice job with current IP like bringing back Rayman, when they wern't busy with those stupid Rabids.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dammit, now that Ubisoft logo will forever look like a weird eyeball to me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dammit THQ, dont do it, stay away from them Ubisoft.... although I guess at least its not activision or ea. But still, don't effin do it.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I don't see Ubisoft going all EA on the IP and developers, though. I've actually kind of warmed up to Ubisoft...they got rid of the ridiculous server DRM, made PC versions of games like Asscreed come sooner and better ported, and they not only brought back the true Rayman experience, but is letting Ansel make a full on Wii U Rayman despite lackluster sales of Origins. Oh and I hear Far Cry 3 is pretty sweet. And we're supposedly being listened to about Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Basically, I would see this as a positive, games like Saints Row 4/Darksiders 3 having more funding and ending up more polished. To me there's a kind of THQ...feel to the current games that shows the budget constraints.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Hmmmm not sure if I like or not. At least its not EA or Activision so as long as it stays away from those two, we're good. But help me Nurgle if they fuck up Warhammer or the CoH series. Well it won't be pretty.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
As long as I get a good DOW3 I dont care if they sell it to Satan or EA (they are the same thing right?)

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
As people have said: At least they beat EA and Activision to it.

I mean EA is not doing so well overall atm, which means they will be looking to assimilate new studios and IPs in the future to stabilize.

Small victories, silver lining and such.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
No! Say away Ubisoft! Stay away from THQ. Then again at least EA and Activision aren't trying to go after it. However now that Ubisoft is eyeing them then EA and Activision may decide they want a piece of the THQ pie. They'll probably take the T...