DMC: Devil May Cry Review

Encaen

May 6, 2005
DMC: Devil May Cry Review

DmC: Devil May Cry is a frenetic hack-and-slash experience with stunning visuals and elaborate environments competing for your attention.

Read Full Article

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Looks fun.

Hope they patch that problem with the mini-bosses not spawning, though.

Having to restart an entire chapter just because of one bug is maddening.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
josh4president said:
Looks fun.

Hope they patch that problem with the mini-bosses not spawning, though.

Having to restart an entire chapter just because of one bug is maddening.
So far it seems to be the only bug that would piss ME. I'm getting this game anyway, looks nice enough ;)

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Quite a few things turned me off while watching gameplay is the slow and tedius looking combat. I always preferred DMC content to god of war's slower combat so its disappointing to see them take a step back.

The level design seemed very bland. While colorful as it may be it lacked any asthetic appeal to me.

I was also disappointed they resulted in the cliche half angel, half demon creating duel weapons/skill. It has been done to death and it brings nothing new to the game just the same tired old feeling I got from castlevania lord of shadows duel system.

I actually preferred dante's multiple fighting style in DMC 4 and I was hoping they would have taken that to the next level.

Overall despite reviews saying its good I can't find a reason why this game is a must buy until its 20 bucks or so.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
You know, between this and Jim's review over on Destructoid, I'm actually quite pleased. I mean, I never wanted this game to be bad - I've loved the series for a long while now, so I always want these games to be good - but like a lot of people I was seriously worried with what Ninja Theory were doing, especially in the way they kept flip-flopping over the status of the game in terms of canon. As an exercise on how not to treat a franchise and its fans, this still stands tall. However, it at least looks like the game is good, with only a few flaws being mentioned, and for that I'm glad. I hope I get that same enjoyment out of it when I get to play it.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore

Encaen

May 6, 2005
GAunderrated said:
Kitsune Hunter said:
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore
Honestly I am disappointed to see you have a writer status when you post pandering comments that are supposed to inflame the lowest common denominator (fanboys/trolls). Very unprofessional and poorly reflective of the escapist.
It seems like you might be confused about the nature of forum titles here. The one the person you're addressing has is one of the standard forum titles we allow users to employ on site. Actual staff and content creators have gold or italicized names that denote their status :)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
It looks like a good enough game, excepting the pace of things. Maybe ill get it after im done saving for a WiiU and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

But what im really interested in now is how it compares to Metal Gear Rising.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
GAunderrated said:
Kitsune Hunter said:
Honestly I am disappointed to see you have a writer status when you post pandering comments that are supposed to inflame the lowest common denominator (fanboys/trolls). Very unprofessional and poorly reflective of the escapist.
yeah, I don't have writer status, that's a title I get for how many times I posted, you can't change it (unless you're a member of the pub club) nor do I represent the escapist in any way, shape or form

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
Oh dear it seems this game is GOOD...
I just cant wait when the haters still try to prove their point that this is an ABOMINATION THAT MUST BE PURIFIED WITH FIRE AND SWORD.

Brb going to buy rum and popcorn to add more enjoyment.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
I have real issues with the storytelling. That's the script, the acting, all of it. It's a poorly told story about an unlikable, juvenile power fantasy of a protagonist who, just when you think he can't get any more revolting, the guy threatens to commit an unexpected abortion on the villain's unborn child, and then taunts the guy about it after it's done. It's clear to me that Ninja Theory, for all of their bluster about wanting to move storytelling forward in the medium of gaming, have absolutely no idea how to actually do it. What they've done here is create the very schlock that they were trying to move past.

From a strictly story prospective, I have no reservations in saying that this is Ninja Theory's worst game to date.

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
MailOrderClone said:
I just found out this whole scenario was a thing via the Metacritic user reviews. I expected the game to get Metabombed CoD-style, and it's always kind of funny to read through the most ridiculous, knee-jerk ones (a Black Ops II review that I found remains one of the funniest things I've read on the internet). But, I very quickly found out about the apparently vast quantity of "shocking moments" that make up most of the story, capped off by the forced abortion thing.

What? Are you kidding me? Why is no one talking about this? This was not mentioned ONCE in any of the professional reviews that I've read, and it seems like it would be kind of a big deal in terms of storytelling. At the very least, it shocks me that Ninja Theory, a studio known for good character development, would pull something like that.

Could someone who's actually played the game perhaps give an in-context explanation of what happened? Maybe it sounds better in context, although there's not a whole lot of context that could rationalize a story point like that... Couple that with the really juvenile-sounding script, and you're left with a product that I can't believe a studio like Ninja Theory put out. I really can't make any comments about the gameplay, as I haven't played the game (or any other Devil May Cry games, for that matter), but this is just bizarre storytelling.

Edit: Sorry, everyone. Wasn't thinking and didn't put spoiler tags. My bad. I have since edited for anyone looking in the future.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
StrangerQ said:
Oh dear it seems this game is GOOD...
I just cant wait when the haters still try to prove their point that this is an ABOMINATION THAT MUST BE PURIFIED WITH FIRE AND SWORD.

Brb going to buy rum and popcorn to add more enjoyment.
Make that a double order. I'll get some chairs.

OT: Picking this game up once I get the money.

PS. SUCK IT, HATERS.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I am currently watching a playthrough of this game on YoVideogames channel. So far, I am revolted (shots of female private parts, looks of a protagonist and many other things). While this game has nice setting, everything else is kind of repulsive. Plus, it seems that getting a SSS rank is way too easy.

But I'll wait. If the game will go somewhere beyond saing "The old Dante is dead. We have a new one. You WILL like him, or go screw yourself" attitude and will actually have something nice in its story, characters, etc., Then maybe, MAYBE, I'll wait untill its price drops to around 30$ and buy it.

But so far, I am unconvinced.

Gardock

Mar 15, 2010
Everyone says the tonal update was necessary, that the old Dante looks silly now instead of badass. Especially Ninja Theory.

Here's the thing: that's the point! He was ridiculous and campy and dated-looking in 2001, too. He looked like an anime vampire who had raided Michael Jackson's closet. That was the tone of the games; it was all ridiculous metal album grimdarkery in the setting, cruised through by a guy who's too "cool" to be taken seriously, especially considering how extremely flamboyant he was at the same time. Trying to make Dante less faboo so he can be "legitimately" badass is a horrible case of missing the point, and if anything just makes him seem dumber for trying to be handled with a straight face. The last thing I want from this series is actual attempts to be edgy; I want effeminate men loudly lamenting their cliched tortured pasts in rooms with all the walls covered in ebony skulls that bleed from the eyes.

(P.S. I'm not a DMC fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. The series had big problems that could have benefitted from a reboot, if handled differently. This one has just seemed to me from day one like its approach to reinvention revolved around converting a hyperglamoruzied parody of dumb action games into a genuinely generic dumb action game, and that's always pretty disappointing.)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
This game is like an alright action game that basically skinned DMC and wore it's skin. It's only DMC in the most superficial and skin-deep sort of way. It seems like an alright action game, like most other Ninja Theory games were in my view, but it is just not really a DMC game even if you present it as a reboot in a different dimension or what have you.

Just cause some people have the same names and some things look a bit like DMC, that doesn't make it actually a DMC game. You need people running down buildings and beating hordes of enemies with motorcycles while trying to pick up women and FAILING in a hilarious way.

This new "Dante" seems more likely to punch a woman who rejects him rather than think "she's just acting tsun tsun, she really looooooves me~" which is the entire persona of actual Dante.

deanospimoni

Dec 7, 2010
What makes me laugh here is that the discussion about this game seems more contentious than most of the discussions in the R&P forum, nearly indicating that fanboyism and anti-fanboyism are religions unto themselves.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
deanospimoni said:
What makes me laugh here is that the discussion about this game seems more contentious than most of the discussions in the R&P forum, nearly indicating that fanboyism and anti-fanboyism are religions unto themselves.
Religion is belief in something for which there is no proof. Fanboyism or, as I see it, passionate discourse about topics of fascination, is evidence-based and typically uses factually provable or at least factually-based criteria for it's maxims.

Just because you're fanatical about something, that alone a religion does not make. It just makes it inspiring, something that religions also can be to some people I guess.

deanospimoni

Dec 7, 2010
Dreiko said:
deanospimoni said:
Religion is belief in something for which there is no proof. Fanboyism or, as I see it, passionate discourse about topics of fascination, is evidence-based and typically uses factually provable or at least factually-bases criteria for it's maxims.

Just because you're fanatical about something, that alone a religion does not make. It just makes it inspiring, something that religions also can be to some people I guess.
Belief in something without proof is something that I'm talking about, actually. How many people are complaining about or defending a game that they have no firsthand experience of?

Furthermore, you defined faith, not religion. Faith is a component of religion, not it's entirety.