DMC: Devil May Cry Review

Adam Lester

Jan 8, 2013
"The story being a ripoff of They Live"

Oh yes, the original Devil May Cry was original. Well, original in a parallel dimension where Vampire Hunter D and Blade don't exist. Or an old anime series called "Cobra"---->http://static.minitokyo.net/downloads/20/15/443270.jpg

"The writing being so terrible that they made the main villain more sympathetic than the heroes"

This makes me slap my forehead. DmC isn't exactly Godfather level writing, but this is your bias showing. Devil May Cry's plot since day 1 had this nasty habit of stumbling around, forgetting it existed half of the time and only waking up from its stupor for no more than 2 cut scenes. DMC3 was the only one out of the original series that kept a consistent plot going through the entire game.

"The dialogue"

Would you like to get this party crazy, or fill my dark soul with LIIIIIIGGGGGHT?

"The combat"

Oh, this is funny. So far, the same hardcore crowd that valiantly rushes in to defend broken game mechanics goes bonkers at the lack of auto-aim. Sorry, but this is the only, ONLY complaint I've ever heard about how trashed the combat system is.

The hamfisted social commentary

Its about as "hamfisted" as a movie like The Warriors. It's not like they're giving Metal Gear Solid/ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution level critiques on the state of the nation.

"360 noscope abortions"

Uh...wuh?

"An ending that makes almost zero sense[/quote]"

What didn't make sense about it? I won't go into spoiler territory...but what didn't make sense? Really? I mean, unless the credits freaked you out.