DMC: Devil May Cry Review

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Just picked this one up today, and as a fan of Ninja Theory's stuff, I'm hoping for the best. I'm not sure it'll be as good as Enslaved or Heavenly Sword, but fingers crossed.

As for whether or not it's "worthy" of the DmC name... Let's keep in mind that this is a franchise that has an awesome game, a terrible game, the original that hasn't aged really well and an okay fourth game.

But, I guess I'll weigh in once I've had a chance to play it.

Side Note: Why does the PS3 version have a near 3 GB install? Seriously?

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
The game feels like a mod. Something that would be made by some fan that wanted to implement some "edgy and dark" stuff. Combat is clunky and slow and every single thing feels like an imitation of the original.

I understand the people that will have fun with this game, it's not that horrid as a stand alone title after all, but it is called "Devil May Cry" therefor we have every right to compare it to the original, and when placed side by side it lacks in almost every aspect.

I won't buy it, not because I'm a "hater" but because I don't want to support the so called "new direction" that this series is taking.

For all the people that never played DMC games or didn't gave two shits about it feel free to enjoy it, but don't brand the old fans "haters" because as one we have every single fucking right to complain about it and not like it, since it failed as a DMC game.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Dante's devil trigger is a glorified doppelganger, the angel/devil weapons act just like Nero did in DMC4, and most people disliked the emphasis on grapples.

Story-wise, the ending has no context.
Vergil never hinted that he wants to be King of the world, nor was Dante hinted at to be having problems with his inner demon, suddenly being overpowered by said demon came out of no where.

We are given no closure on what will happen to humanity, or in hell now that Mundus has been deposed, or even any information on Sparda and where the hell he is. It all just ends.

The lack of exposition like:
The fact that has all the world's government's wrapped around his finger;
that all of humanity has been brainwashed to hate Dante, Vergil, and Kat and the loss of Mundus causing a power vacuum in Hell, being brought up early in the game but never being mentioned again until Vergil's sudden Heel Face Turn, are never considered.

The plan to close the hell gate, bringing all the demons from Limbo into the real world.
Nice Job Breaking It Hero.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
It doesn't appeal to me and no longer contains many the bits of the franchise I enjoy.
I'm not saying it's a bad game, it just isn't for me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Sweet!

I was hoping that this would be good and that Ninja Theory would do a good job. And no, I haven't played the other games in the series, and I don't think it matters now. This looks fun as hell and I'm not gonna deny myself a good game, and I like Ninja Theory.

Anyways, the atmosphere and the way the levels shift around have intrigued me enough to want to get it. Good review!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Gardock said:
Everyone says the tonal update was necessary, that the old Dante looks silly now instead of badass. Especially Ninja Theory.

Here's the thing: that's the point! He was ridiculous and campy and dated-looking in 2001, too. He looked like an anime vampire who had raided Michael Jackson's closet. That was the tone of the games; it was all ridiculous metal album grimdarkery in the setting, cruised through by a guy who's too "cool" to be taken seriously, especially considering how extremely flamboyant he was at the same time. Trying to make Dante less faboo so he can be "legitimately" badass is a horrible case of missing the point, and if anything just makes him seem dumber for trying to be handled with a straight face. The last thing I want from this series is actual attempts to be edgy; I want effeminate men loudly lamenting their cliched tortured pasts in rooms with all the walls covered in ebony skulls that bleed from the eyes.

(P.S. I'm not a DMC fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. The series had big problems that could have benefitted from a reboot, if handled differently. This one has just seemed to me from day one like its approach to reinvention revolved around converting a hyperglamoruzied parody of dumb action games into a genuinely generic dumb action game, and that's always pretty disappointing.)
I don't know, I think it's more a matter of perspective and personal taste. I don't think Old Dante was "supposed" to be flamboyant, that was just how he'd been conceived. Personally, I found I couldn't play five minutes of the old DMC games without cringing. This is obviously a personal assessment, but the character honestly felt like a poser. I wanted to play that series for its game mechanics, not for seeing an nth cinematic where you can feel the animation directors wracking their brains to try and find one more way to make Dante look like a supposed badass.

As there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, I got burned out on the whole "WAHEY, CHECK ME OUT, I'M BREEZY COOL, Y'ALL DEMONS!" thing. Having played through about half of the reboot, I can say I definitely appreciate Ninja Theory's approach to the character. They asked themselves why, exactly, Dante doesn't give a damn. They found an answer and worked with it.

You're left with a more driven character with believable motives in the context of his universe - even if some themes can indeed feel rather adolescent. Dante's never been particularly big on maturity, though. Instead of everything being a "party", he's a guy who can now take things seriously, provided the issue at hand speaks to him. And it works.

As for the more "revolting" aspects of the game - exposed genitalia, shooting unborn babies, etc - you have to remember that this is a game in which said genitalia and said baby are both demonic in nature. They're not meant to be seen as an approval of infanticide or an incentive to it, they're meant to be seen as striking concepts.

The game has plenty of things of that nature. Lilith's reversible relationship with her son? Awesome. That's one direction I hadn't expected, in terms of boss fight design. Bob Barbas' stage essentially looking like you're trapped in a Fox News title screen? That really drove home the idea that Limbo is whatever the demons need it to be. Barbas' natural state involves misinformation and the doctoring and spinning of stories, so Raptor News' broadcast essentially being his domain works perfectly.

Honestly, I'd compare DmC to a judicious dose of spices in an otherwise bland dish. The original franchise was plagued with some of the issues that affect Japanese game design, in that the mechanics came first and the plot was an ancillary concern. They've kept the strong and already refined mechanics, and just given it the kind of better and more polished diegetic frame Western developers are great at producing. This is the first time I've felt like Dante inhabits a world. Prior to that, I felt like he existed for the sole purpose of flipping around in slow-mo, hooting and cheering all the while.

I can finally relate to him. That's something worth celebrating, I'd say.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I don't know, for all the complaining about the story, I feel like there's no way it could be worse than what I saw in Devil May Cry 4. I would take unsettling elements over chasing a shoehorned love interest and her stiff demon captor any day. Plus, it sounds like they removed the whole 'the entire second half of the game is backtracking through the same levels as Dante' thing, which can only be a plus.

I'm not a fan of the series. DMC 4 was the only one I played, so I can't judge the new title any further than that. But it seems like a more enjoyable game than the previous one, which is good.

Nice review. I feel like you could have glossed over the change in looks - God knows that's been done to death - but I can see why you felt it necessary to mention.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
This game was literally as if Grass growing and Paint drying made a video game. The very definition of a rental.
As a Devil May Cry game, its horrible.

The characters even Dante are wooden and unlikeable, the "ground breaking writing" from NT is as cliche as it comes and is heavy on bad dialogue, the gameplay is slow but tight but compared to DMC standards it is sub par, humor is not "Shakespearean", and the ending is flat and predictable. Yes this game wasn't the horrible abomination people predicted it would be, but it still suffered the same fate as RE6. When you cut off a large portion of the demographic, and show disrespect towards the original source material, you lose sales, A LOT of sales.

In a nutshell saying that this games "success" in not being bad "silenced the haters", you are dead wrong. All it did was prove our/the fans points that has nothing to do with change really, just bad decision making on Capcom's end. Its a damn shame, I really wanted a DMC5.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
I'm interested to see what the difference is between this game's two Metacritic scores. Especially if you go through all the reviews and cross off anything that includes the word 'hair'.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry

Sadly, there's absolutely nothing interesting to see.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Yeah, i was thinking the gameplay looked a bit tedious if drawn out over time... nice to know they mentioned it is so i got rid of that niggling doubt.

I mean the game might be a well-designed hack n' slasher (the franchise probably wouldn't have survived this long if it weren't), but what bothers me about the DMC series is that they insist on keeping score of your performance in battles and then rate it. Bothered me in Bayonetta as well 'cause no matter how badass you might feel during combat if you don't do well the game will slap you over the head and call you out on how shit you are once it's over.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Xcell935 said:
This game was literally as if Grass growing and Paint drying made a video game. The very definition of a rental.
As a Devil May Cry game, its horrible.

The characters even Dante are wooden and unlikeable, the "ground breaking writing" from NT is as cliche as it comes and is heavy on bad dialogue, the gameplay is slow but tight but compared to DMC standards it is sub par, humor is not "Shakespearean", and the ending is flat and predictable. Yes this game wasn't the horrible abomination people predicted it would be, but it still suffered the same fate as RE6. When you cut off a large portion of the demographic, and show disrespect towards the original source material, you lose sales, A LOT of sales.

In a nutshell saying that this games "success" in not being bad "silenced the haters", you are dead wrong. All it did was prove our/the fans points that has nothing to do with change really, just bad decision making on Capcom's end. Its a damn shame, I really wanted a DMC5.
At the very least, it's just difficult to recommend this game when there are other, BETTER options out there. The DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, God War 1, 2, and 3, El Shaddai, Asura's Wrath, and Bayonetta are all cheaper, and just BETTER (or at the least just more unique). Heck, I'd even say just wait for Metal Gear Rising which has been looking GREAT so far (and heck, people will probably make a more concrete decision with the demo coming out next week). And if it's story, you're not playing the DMC series ANYWAY; if you did play this, you're just gonna be disappointed at the least

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
xdiesp said:
Why in the Nine Hells is no reviewer mentioning the abortion thing!? I couldn't ever expect Ninja Theory to pull a CAD on us.
Possibly because it seems like that would be a major spoiler or something. So I would just like to thank all of you wonderful people for posting story elements outside of the spoiler tags The Escapist has so thoughtfully provided for such use. Regrettably, the forum's ToS prevent me from thanking you in the manner I would like, but just know that I feel something from the bottom of my heart.
Yup, I'm picking this up soon. Been looking forward to it too. But, in the first day alone, this site has spoiled half the plot for me. Thanks internet!
Needless to say, I'm in a bad mood now.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I hope the writing and voice acting can live up to the stellar stuff we got from the first 4 games.

Oh and thanks for the stellar line of spoilers here guys. Its a just a shame that The Escapist doesn't have say, Spoiler tags for hiding spoiler plot points

Oh....

Oh and the Dante with white hair cut scene is what we call a joke, Its a new thing to the internet i know but try goggling the word, you'd be surprised on how many of them there are out there. Hopefully the internet can one day learn not to act like Islamic extremists when someone in power slightly mocks their silly self righteous anger.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
GAunderrated said:
Quite a few things turned me off while watching gameplay is the slow and tedius looking combat. I always preferred DMC content to god of war's slower combat so its disappointing to see them take a step back.
I for one understand you, but must disagree, for MY own sake lol No, but seriously, I undertand how fans of the old Devil May Cry must feel, I played the first 2 but was never really any good at them. The action game that ultimately took my heart was... God of War.
I wouldn't call what they did a "step back", because God of War and Devil May Cry (the old ones) are both action games, but are very different in their pacing, so much so that it feels like different genres. As said before, i do much better, and enjoy much more, the GoW style.
But were God of War to be transformed into Devil May Cry, so to speak, I'd be as disappointed as you are, so I guess I know how you feel. Not to mention this kind of thing is happening more and more lately, AT LEAST DMC is a reboot, so we can forgive Team Ninja a little bit there, but just the same, play Mass Effect and then right away Mass Effect 3, I love the whole series, but it almost leaves the RPG behind in favor of turning it into an almost shooter.
But I'm looking forward to it, and I must say, the action STILL looks too "hysterical" to my taste (really, I enjoy much more, the brutal non-stylish ignorance filled violence of GoW), but the scenario looks amazing, so much so, that I'm basically buying this game for the environment only. This happened before with Bioshock, and turned out pretty damn good for me.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
JokerboyJordan said:
natster43 said:
So apparently it is cool to post spoilers for games that just came out in the forums now. That's cool.
It is when you go to the comments section of a review, and the obviousness that people would be tearing this game apart.
No it's not. That's why we have spoiler tags.
I'm with Scars Unseen here, it doesn't matter how bad or not a game is, a spoiler is a spoiler, we have spoiler warnings in "No Right Right Answer" where they usually discuss some VERY old stuff, the rule obviously applies to a brand new game.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Having watched even more gameplay and gotten the full gist of the story I think it's safe for my wallet to not part any of it's money seeing as how I knew I'd severely dislike this new form of "change" and in the end it just means I won't be getting this game which in turn makes me sad and I can only hope this doesn't happen to any other games that I'm overly fond of.

I'm sure at some stage we are going to have a topic about "change" and what it does and how it can be both good/bad for us because I'd love to see that done by Jim or someone on here who understands just what change can do to the product as well as the people.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Rocklobster99 said:
Dante also got a major makeover, which is likely to offend franchise purists,

I was sort of hoping I'd read one review without someone bringing up that retarded argument.

There are many things wrong with this game, none of which have anything to do with the hair.
Name some that don't relate to your personal preference.

The reason they brought up that point (read: not an argument) is because people did/still do have a problem with the characters overall look, it wasn't a point against the game, it's not a flaw or even a feature, it's part of the pre-release drama that was surrounding it. Making it relative.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Much as I really loved DMC4's mix of melodrama and camp, I'm happy to try out the series in another style. (Although by the look of the trailer, the melodrama at least does make a return!)

I'm guessing the grappling hook was inspired by Nero's demon arm in DMC4. Whatever the reason for including it, it's a fantastic idea. After playing Nero for a while in DMC4, Dante always seemed a bit ploddy in comparison. But after playing Dante for a while then switching back to Nero, I really missed the choice of weapons. With the new Dante, we get both weapons and the come-here-demon-so-I-can-hurt-you ability.

I'll add this to my Amazon wishlist. But I'll need to wait until I'm feeling a bit richer before actually getting it. (Christmas hurt!)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Also, I'm sorry, but am I reading comments in regards to the writing being worse than the original games?

You people realise you're talking about Capcom's writing, right?

Just so we can be clear on this one...

(Just to add: I love Capcom games, but I sure as hell don't love them for their writing.)