Bastion Creator Reveals Transistor, Offers A Short Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bastion Creator Reveals Transistor, Offers A Short Trailer

Supergiant Games, the developer responsible for beloved indie release Bastion has announced its next game, Transistor.

This morning Supergiant Games issued the vignette you'll find embedded at right. It serves as an official reveal for Transistor, the developer's next title, and a game that seemingly shares many welcome similarities with Supergiant's fan-favorite Bastion.

Now, granted, I'm basing that purely on this trailer. No one at The Escapist has yet played Transistor, and in fact the first opportunity anyone will have to experience this title first-hand will come at the imminent PAX East conference where Supergiant claims Transistor will be available for anyone to play. That said, based on the above clip, the similarities to Bastion are undeniable.

Both games feature a relatively blank slate for a protagonist. Both protagonists have short, non-descript names that will likely prove more important to the overall plot than we might first suspect. Both are played from a 3/4 overhead viewpoint, and both appear to feature real-time combat with fantastic creatures. Finally, each title seems to be immediately, superficially defined by a gorgeous, inspired art style.

However, where Bastion was set in a pseudo-modern fantasy world, Transistor is apparently more futuristic. It almost appears to harken back to the settings seen in Square Enix titles like Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII, insomuch as oversized swords are a popular weapon despite the existence of technology like motorcycles and autonomous robots. Actually, comparisons to mid- to late-90s era Final Fantasy games seem increasingly apropos as the trailer rolls along. That scene where Red is speeding along on his or her motorbike in particular. Red's aesthetic largely relies on that furry-collared bomber jacket, and his or her sword is designed in such a way that it would be utterly unwieldy were it subject to the physical rules of the real world. Despite this, he or she wields it with ease. Had the familiar Final Fantasy victory theme [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c2Vb7CqTdc] started playing after Red cut down a few of those robots, I doubt many would have batted an eyelash, instead preferring excitement over what could very easily be mistaken for a modern Final Fantasy redux.

Whether these comparisons will still prove apt after PAX East is anyone's guess, but expect a deluge of information on the title to emerge from that conference (which is scheduled to take place in Boston, Massachusetts from March 22 through March 24). Given the collective affection gamers have for Supergiant's debut title, it would be unsurprising to see Transistor generate a massive amount of pre-release anticipation. Now we just need to find out which platforms Transistor might appear on and when we can expect its retail debut. As of now the best info we have points to a nebulous "2014" release window, but with any luck Supergiant Games will be a bit more specific during PAX East.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/314044257214279680]

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
pretty sure "red" is a women, what with the boobs and fishnets?

anyway yeah heard about the game, made a happy noise, have watched the trailer atleast a dozen times. cant wait, want it now

that about sums it up

i do like how there seems to be a tactical mode in combat which they have kind of hinted at

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
INB4 someone calls this game sexist because Red shows cleavage and doesn't have much characterization.

OT: Yes! I don't care that it looks a lot like Bastion, I didn't want Supergiant Games to get into fucking kart racing or something, it looks fantastic. Gameplay similar to Bastion in an original Cyberpunk world and a seemingly new art-style? Sign me up!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
ToastiestZombie said:
INB4 someone calls this game sexist because Red shows cleavage and doesn't have much characterization.

OT: Yes! I don't care that it looks a lot like Bastion, I didn't want Supergiant Games to get into fucking kart racing or something, it looks fantastic. Gameplay similar to Bastion in an original Cyberpunk world and a seemingly new art-style? Sign me up!
its funny how the feminist bashers always turn up before the feminists isn't it. And they always accuse others of making trouble where there is none... oh the irony is so delicious.

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
I can't wait until this game. I'm sure I'm going to buy both the game and the soundtrack if it's anything like Bastion.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
ramboondiea said:

anyway yeah heard about the game, made a happy noise, have watched the trailer atleast a dozen times. cant wait, want it now

that about sums it up

i do like how there seems to be a tactical mode in combat which they have kind of hinted at
Yeah, just wanted to tell as well that Red is a woman and featured on many of the posters. I assume she is a singer?

Red's aesthetic largely relies on that furry-collared bomber jacket, and his sword is designed in such a way that it would be utterly unwieldy were it subject to the physical rules of the real world.
Oh, and another nitpick! Her jacket's collar isn't made of fur, but of feathers, as you can see in another concept art featured in the trailer.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Karoshi said:
ramboondiea said:

that about sums it up

Yeah, just wanted to tell as well that Red is a woman and featured on many of the posters. I assume she is a singer?
She's also a woman because on their site, Supergiant Games describe her as a "young woman called Red". So that's a dead give-away =D

Looking forward to this though. Bastion was my favourite game of 2011, and I know that SGG will do just as good a job here.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Karoshi said:
ramboondiea said:

that about sums it up

From the soundtrack having vocals, and the choice of describing her as an 'influential voice', certainly seems that way. as a fan of the Macross franchise, certainly interested to see how that pans out.

Given the posters confusion over her gender though, cant shake thoughts of Mospaeada's Yellow Belmont now (laughs)

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Karoshi said:
ramboondiea said:

that about sums it up

i reckon these going with an amnesia story and she doesn't realise she is the person in the picture. the basic synopsis of the game is the companies website and sounds pretty interesting, but doesnt really tell you much about her, except robots want to kill her

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Huray!!!! That means no sequal to the Bastion. Crisis averted. Now lets see how this one measures up. I expect at least one part that will make me cry like a little girl. Don't let me down now Super Giant.

captcha:string along

No captcha you can't.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Definitely looking forward to this. When I eventually got round to playing Bastion, I loved it, and the gameplay looks similar to it, but with lasers, which is perfectly fine with me.

And I love the trailer song already.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Looks great, certainly looking forward to this. I hope narrative and soundtrack are as great as Bastion's. Though music seems to be a major gameplay element, so I guess it will :D

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Looks freaking awesome from that trailer - loved Bastion so I'm definitely looking forward to this!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So same gameplay as Bastion, but cyberpunk story and setting?

I like it already.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Supergiant, you can have all of my money. Bastion is my favorite game of all time, and this looks fantastic.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Looks like a promising start...

The aesthetics as they stand make me wonder if part or all of the game takes place in some kind of cyberspace setting- the stationary blocks are not unlike how some RPG versions of hacking envision network nodes. It would also make a certain amount of sense with regard to the trailer's referencing "voices"- what world is more about people's voices than some vision of the Internet?

I quite enjoyed Bastion, both aesthetically and in what it did with story and narration. I'll look forward to hearing more about Supergiant's next game.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Is it me or is the singer in the trailer's music the same as Zia from Bastion? Would make sense, but just curious if anyone else noticed that.