See How Your Mass Effect Choices Compare to Everyone Else's

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
See How Your Mass Effect Choices Compare to Everyone Else's

Regrettably, BioWare did not present these statistics with a Shepard's Pie Chart.

There are many paths through BioWare's Mass Effect trilogy - player choice has always been a key element of the sci-fi series, and there were plenty of memorable decisions that divided the gaming masses. Evidently, BioWare has been keeping a tally of our actions, and the developers were kind enough to give us a peek at the statistics to see the breakdown of how we, collectively, directed Commander Shepard. These numbers detail some major events from Mass Effect 3, so it really should go without saying, but be warned: spoilers ahoy.

One of the most lopsided statistics concerns Shepard herself, or as the majority leaned, himself. 82% of the players who finished Mass Effect 3 were playing as Male Shepard, leaving only 18% playing FemShep. By the numbers, the global average Shepard was a male, Paragon-aligned Soldier. The Soldier class makes sense as the winner there, being the most straightforward, but it's a little surprising that the 43.7% of players who followed that road chose "good with guns" over magic powers and high-tech gadgets. The Adept and Engineer classes, who specialized in biotics and tech, were the least-played classes at 8.1% and 5.1%, respectively. The remaining players chose a hybrid class.

As far as NPCs go, Liara and Garrus were the most popular squad members through the Mass Effect 3 campaign. Ashley and Kaidan, as mutually-exclusive members of the party, were the least popular, with Kaidan only getting 1.5% of the love. Urdnot Wrex has always been a fan favorite, but 64% of players never got to see him in Mass Effect 3 - either because he was killed in the first game or, more likely, because he doesn't show up unless you import a save file from previous games. One of the closest calls in the statistics is Shepard's touching duel with Garrus in the Citadel: 58% of players allowed themselves to be outsniped, while 42% showed him up.

The two biggest calls in Mass Effect 3 were, arguably, the curing of the Genophage and the resolution of the Geth-Quarian war. A whopping 92% chose to cure the Genophage and save the krogans, so most of us seem to be in agreement there. Only 3.8% of players shot Mordin to prevent him from distributing the cure (and all of you are terrible people). On Rannoch, the choice was more difficult. 27% of you sided with the Quarians, and 37% with the Geth (the remaining 36% achieved a truce).

So, did you agree with the overall consensus? Were you upset there weren't more female Renegade Engineers? Either way, it's always interesting to see other people's preferences. Now that the numbers are out in the open, you may even decide to go back and try walking the road less travelled - odds are, there's plenty left to see.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5992092/two-thirds-of-you-played-mass-effect-3-as-a-paragon-mostly-as-soldiers]

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
The only thing I'm really surprised at is the percentage of Soldier classes. I was under the impression that a Soldier is the most boring, waste-of-space class in the game. Shows what "popular opinion" knows.

DVS BSTrD said:
How the fuck does Vega survive more than Garrus?
No-one uses him, so he never has an opportunity to die? :p

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Makes perfect sense if you take the ME2 Suicide Mission into account. Meanwhile, the only way for Vega to die is if he's with you at the end and your EMS is too low.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Antitonic said:
The only thing I'm really surprised at is the percentage of Soldier classes. I was under the impression that a Soldier is the most boring, waste-of-space class in the game. Shows what "popular opinion" knows.

DVS BSTrD said:
To be honest though, the first time I played Mass Effect 1 I went with the soldier because the descriptions of every other class were very vague for someone that was playing for the first time so its kind of a begginers class, you then learn about each ability by watching your team mates use their biotics and stuff. Then there are always those guys that dont give a fuck about biotics and never bother to choose anything other then the soldier

EDIT: Actually I then went and checked what were the classes that ME1 had and I actually went with the Infiltrator (sniper and pistol with some tech things) so eh... maybe Im wrong.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Most of these don't surprise me, but seriously almost 50% soldier class? When you can be a space magician? ;d And Vega is more popular than Tali and Kaidan (and even Ashley)? Although I don't know what "popular" here means.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
My thoughts:

As a male who plays FemShep, I have to say that I'm saddened by how few people play her. Not exactly surprised, admittedly, but Jennifer Hale is a fantastic voice actress, and from my point of view it was nice to see a huge, blockbuster RPG trilogy with a female protagonist. Hopefully there'll be a more even distribution next time.

I'm also baffled by the apparent popularity of Vega. I can only assume he ranks so high because he's around for all of ME3.

I also find it weird that 2/3 of people who played ME3 didn't meet Wrex. I'm surprised that most people didn't play all three games; the experience is so much richer if you do.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

As a guy who plays FemShep, I have to say that I'm saddened by how few people play her. Not exactly surprised, admittedly, but Jennifer Hale is a fantastic voice actress, and from my point of view it was nice to see a huge, blockbuster RPG trilogy with a female protagonist. Hopefully there'll be a more even distribution next time.

I'm also baffled by the apparent popularity of Vega. I can only assume he ranks so high because he's around for all of ME3.

I also find it weird that 2/3 of people who played ME3 didn't meet Wrex. I'm surprised that most people didn't play all three games; the experience is so much richer if you do.
To be honest I think I and a lot of other guys played MShep because we're supposed to envision ourselves as Shepard, that an going out of our way to hit on guys just feels a little weird (though in hindsight I would've gone after Thane). And to be perfectly fair I did feel pretty petty and ashamed of myself that I never did a FemShep play through. I said to myself "After I finish ME3, I'll restart the game and play as her." Then the ending happening...let's just say I kinda lost my motivation to do that. It still kinda depresses me that I never did that. Aw well, on the flip side I started playing Fallout NV as a woman.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

This is also a reason why so "many" people still defended the ending. Because if you play all 3 games you simply cannot like that s***....

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
nodlimax said:
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

This is also a reason why so "many" people still defended the ending. Because if you play all 3 games you simply cannot like that s***....
And we went barely a page on here before someone mentioned the ME3 ending. Bonus points that he insulted everyone who liked it too.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Surpised more people didn't play through a fem shep.

I really enjoyed seeing the story from a womans point of view

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'm thinking the popularity scale is skewed a bit because some characters are attained late in the game when people have a set team and Javik is missing for some reason.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I'm surprised, I thought paragon would be 3/4 but renegade was more popular then I thought. And I'm in the minority, I actually shot Mordrin on my first playthrough full renegade and played through insanity. Insanity in this game was not too bad, I don't even remember any hard bits that stuck out.

Oh and Jove? your going to hate me for this, but I played saints row 1 and 2 and I liked the wackyness in 3 more :)

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
daibakuha said:
nodlimax said:
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

And we went barely a page on here before someone mentioned the ME3 ending. Bonus points that he insulted everyone who liked it too.
It's the elphant in the room. Even if people don't mention it, they are still thinking about it.

And on that note....... Why didn't they put in the poll that was on the BW website on how many like or didn't like the ending???? Huh? Huh?

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Xanex said:
daibakuha said:
nodlimax said:
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

It's the elphant in the room. Even if people don't mention it, they are still thinking about it.

And on that note....... Why didn't they put in the poll that was on the BW website on how many like or didn't like the ending???? Huh? Huh?
Because internet polls have been shown to be accurate metrics before. Oh right, they aren't.

Still doesn't excuse the insulting nature of the posts here.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Antitonic said:

DVS BSTrD said:
I was a Biotic class on 2 and decided to go for my Insanity difficulty achievement. I got as far as invading the derelict reaper ship before I couldn't continue and had to re-roll. Soldier is the best class imo as once you get on the higher difficulties pretty much EVERYTHING is shielded against biotic and tech so you have to spend 5 minutes shooting down their shields anyway.

Which is a shame, because I loved using singularity.

Apr 28, 2008
Not surprised more people saved the Geth than the Quarians. ME3 really made the Quarians look like utter bastards and the Geth like poor misunderstood victims while in reality both did terrible things to each other.

Well, more people chose to save both, but still. ME3 could have made the Geth look less like poor, misunderstood victims. There used to be billions of Quarians, now there's only about 17 million. Take a guess at what happened to the rest. Wish you (or someone else) could bring that up.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zeckt said:
I'm surprised, I thought paragon would be 3/4 but renegade was more popular then I thought. And I'm in the minority, I actually shot Mordrin on my first playthrough full renegade and played through insanity. Insanity in this game was not too bad, I don't even remember any hard bits that stuck out.

Oh and Jove? your going to hate me for this, but I played saints row 1 and 2 and I liked the wackyness in 3 more :)
You shot him..? YOU SHOT HIM!? YOU HAVE NO HEART. :(

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
erttheking said:
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

As a guy who plays FemShep, I have to say that I'm saddened by how few people play her. Not exactly surprised, admittedly, but Jennifer Hale is a fantastic voice actress, and from my point of view it was nice to see a huge, blockbuster RPG trilogy with a female protagonist. Hopefully there'll be a more even distribution next time.

To be honest I think I and a lot of other guys played MShep because we're supposed to envision ourselves as Shepard, that an going out of our way to hit on guys just feels a little weird (though in hindsight I would've gone after Thane). And to be perfectly fair I did feel pretty petty and ashamed of myself that I never did a FemShep play through. I said to myself "After I finish ME3, I'll restart the game and play as her." Then the ending happening...let's just say I kinda lost my motivation to do that. It still kinda depresses me that I never did that. Aw well, on the flip side I started playing Fallout NV as a woman.
Envisioning myself as Shepard was always going to be tricky for me; the fact that he/she's voiced and I don't control exactly what he/she says meant it was harder for me to think I was Shepard. So I thought I'd play FemShep because I like Jennifer Hale, and ended up really attached to Shepard, in no small part because of the vocal performance. I really do recommend a FemShep run, Hale is genuinely brilliant.

I see your point about the romances; in the first game I ended up romancing Liara because Kaidan was just kind of dull. Stuck with her throughout all three games, although I do want to play ME2 again to romance Thane. I also want to do a DudeShep run of all three and romance Tali. Now I just need to find the time...
nodlimax said:
Anachronism said:
My thoughts:

Dislike the ending? Fine. Don't insult those of us who didn't have a problem with it - such as myself. Seriously, legitimate grievances about the ending aside, it's been a year. Can we please stop beating the pile of blood and viscera that used to be a dead horse?