Battlefield 4 Won't Support Mods

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield 4 Won't Support Mods

The announcement was somewhat expected, but still saddening to see such a PC gaming staple thrown to the wayside.

Following in the footsteps of PC Gamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111490-DICE-Says-No-to-Mod-Tools-For-Battlefield-3], DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson confirmed that the next generation shooter will not support mods. Troedsson did however say that user-generated content is something that DICE is very interested in, and that it's something the studio has been talking about at a high level.

When asked if the game will support mods, Trodsson relented that "We get that question a lot. I always answer the same thing, and then the community calls me bad names." Poor guy. Maybe if he changed his answer, he wouldn't have his feelings hurt? After all, games like Natural Selection 2 [http://www.teamfortress.com/], which are also team-based shooters, offer complete mod support.

Trodsson's excuse? "We also would like to see more player-created content, but we would never do something like this if we feel we couldn't do this 100 percent." Sounds a bit iffy - if NS2 can allow mod support with a tiny 5-man dev team, surely DICE has the resources at their disposal to do the same? Trodsson added, "We need to have the right security around this regarding what parts of the engine we let loose, so to say." Ah, there we go. Its all about "protecting the assets," from the uncultured PC modding scene.

He did say that mod support was something they were thinking about "for the future". When pressed, he clarified his statement referred to "the future of the Battlefield franchise," as well as "strategies as a company," so you can stop holding your breath for BF4 mod support being patched in later on.

Mod group NoFate previously boasted that it had enabled modding in Battlefield 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123544-Team-Claims-to-Enable-Modding-in-Battlefield-3].

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/13/battlefield-4-mod-support-ruled-out-by-dice-2/]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Okay, that's fair. They don't want it to be as good as my favourite war themed hat simulator.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
You don't have to 'do' user-created mods '100%'. The users do them for you. And I think you'll excuse me for doubting that allowing modding in the future is going to happen. Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of work it takes to allow users to do things in their own time.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I think it was pretty obvious that nothing would change in mod department for BF series (or any other EA game for that matter) since frostbite is used in almost all EA products and they don't want you to mess with their games for variety of reasons (DLC included)

The only thing that really worries me is that Dragon Age will receive no toolset :/

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
It could be a step to keep cheaters/hackers at an absolute minimum. Reveal too much about your engine to the community and the bad apples will find a way to abuse/exploit that information to develop cheats.

If it's anything that will keep reduce the numbers of the cheating fuckers (seriously, nothing on the internet can stoop lower than cheaters in online multiplayer games) then I'm all for it.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'll forgive no mod support when they release 2143.

2142 was my personal favourite Battlefield game, so much more creative than just about anything else on the large-scale warfare FPS market.

Jun 23, 2008
Guys, it's EA, the ones that claim that a persistent online requirement is not DRM. Mods are competition, so of course they want to block it. It's all part of their New World Games-as-Service Order.

Note that there are no mods for Blizzard/Activision's Diablo III, where Diablo II thrived on mods. Sure, cheat-prevention is an excuse, but it's really about blocking competition so that you're starved for their next product.

238U

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well DICE I'm sorry but my multiplayer shooter quota for the year is likely going to be crammed with Destiny and Killzone: Shadow Fall and not whatever you've turned one of my favourite franchises into.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
of course not, mods extend game life and build community among customers, and EA hates customers, so getting rid of them only makes sense.

The next SimCity DLC will be a big middle-finger tower you can build and an EA exec will sneak into your home during the night to poop in your shoes. Cost: $39.99

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Lol, I read all that as "we would, but then we realized the modders would make a better game then us and we cant have that"

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Still not a good enough answer honestly. My favorite Battlefield by far was 1942 and it's expansions, which I still play. And one of the best parts of it? The Desert Combat mod. Also, that mod for BF3 NoFate showed a while back with more vibrant colors and light looked fantastic.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Ickorus said:
I'll forgive no mod support when they release 2143.

2142 was my personal favourite Battlefield game, so much more creative than just about anything else on the large-scale warfare FPS market.
[high five]

I'm not a fan of SGWWs, but BF2142 was awesome
The Titan mode itself is better than anything BF3 and MW3 can offer combined together

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
MeChaNiZ3D said:
You don't have to 'do' user-created mods '100%'. The users do them for you. And I think you'll excuse me for doubting that allowing modding in the future is going to happen. Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of work it takes to allow users to do things in their own time.
Well they need an excuse to prevent competition with their boring DLC don't they? *Yawn* I regret getting BF3 and I surely won't be getting the pathetic excuse of 4.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Ed130 said:
That's OK, I'll just buy ARMA 3 instead.

The Battlefield series has gone downhill anyway.

Not only does this game already support modding in its ALPHA state but with the BETA coming out on the 25th of this month having all new features ready to be horribly mucked around with by me; Arma 3 has already won.

It will be the Sony of this FPS/Mil-Sim generation!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They have absolutely no idea. No idea how many people will buy the game just so they can mod the shit out of it. The modding community takes care of itself. All they need is the tools and they'll do your job for you. It's a good thing. Can't they see that from what Valve's been doing?

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Hahahahahaha

Seriously, that's all I can say. I haven't played a Battlefield since 2, nor enjoyed one since 1942. This is just hilarious.