12 Games That Defined Their Genres

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
OK, so three pages on, and noone has even mentioned the grandaddy of them all.

Rogue.

Nethack.

Angband.

The games that define the entire roguelike genre. Diablo? A roguelike with pretty graphics, it offered nothing that Nethack didn't except the interface.

Rogue and it's ilk would go on to influence many of the early MUDs and Dikus, which Everquest was directly coded off of (EQ is a Diku derivative, with pretty graphics. It wasn't even the first of it's kind.)

And how many of those genre-defining games on the list are still being developed? Nethack sure is!

You simply can't have a list like this and leave out the roguelikes, they are a cornerstone that built modern gaming.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
No planetside as defining MMOFPS? ;)

I realise you're only selecting the genres from the wheel you guys made, although what would be the defining MMORPG? WoW? EQ? UO?

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Battlezone... ah, how I remember thee... I have many happy memories of playing that in the arcade and the song it played when you made the high score list...

mistwolf said:
OK, so three pages on, and noone has even mentioned the grandaddy of them all.

Rogue.

Nethack.

Angband.

The games that define the entire roguelike genre. Diablo? A roguelike with pretty graphics, it offered nothing that Nethack didn't except the interface.

Rogue and it's ilk would go on to influence many of the early MUDs and Dikus, which Everquest was directly coded off of (EQ is a Diku derivative, with pretty graphics. It wasn't even the first of it's kind.)

And how many of those genre-defining games on the list are still being developed? Nethack sure is!

You simply can't have a list like this and leave out the roguelikes, they are a cornerstone that built modern gaming.
Yeah, and talk about "Nintendo Hard"! I still play Angband occasionally when I am in the mood for frustration and angst, You only get 1 life and when you lose it, you are DEAD. And monsters come in bunches. Scads of bunches.

Niveama

Mar 23, 2009
I'm just pleased that Herzog Zwei got a mention as it's so often overlooked by the PC RTS mainstream, I bought when I first got my mega drive thinking it was a different style of game all together. Once I got my head round what it was I loved it.

As for trying to get Dune II to work, really not worth the effort. The only old rts games worth playing are those that don't fit inside the normal mode of harvest/build/kill have held up well.

I've recently been trying some older RTS games, and the only one I found that didn't feel rusty was the original Z, by the Bitmap Bros. So if you want to get and old RTS for the PC get that. The Homeworld games were still good when I played them, but they aren't nearly as old.

Next time I visit my parents I might dig out Herzog Zwei and give it a blast see how it holds up 20 years later.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
-Snipped-

Anyway,
Your Rock Band argument is interesting but I don't think I fully agree with it. I never found the campaign mode or online mode to be "expanding" on the formula. It was more or less just more motivation to play the game when you didn't have people over to play with. Many games tack on campaigns or online play for this reason.

The addition of instruments is interesting but it will start becoming annoying if they keep on adding instrument after instrument and just convolute the screen (didn't they recently add keyboards?). They can't keep doing that forever.
Yes, they did add keyboards in Rock Band 3, as well as adding the more "realistic" guitar controller which is essentially like a real guitar. Mind you, I haven't played Rock Band 3, and even if I do get that game, I have no intention of embracing these new controllers which I personally fine excessive, particularly the more "realistic" guitar. Seriously, it's a video game - let's keep it that way. I've always hated the "why play Rock Band, go play real guitar" argument that you hear from so many people, as the illusion of being able to play real guitar with only five buttons is part of the game's appeal. But with this new hardcore, "realistic" mode, well....I'd rather just go and play my real guitar, as opposed to taking the time to get good at playing "fake real" guitar (that's a confusing sentence).

BlindMessiah94 said:
I do think the solo sections were a lot better in Rock Band though, I will give you that. Definitely an improvement on the formula.

I guess when I look at Rock Band though within it's "Guitar Hero music genre" as this article has so somewhat dubbed it, it doesn't stand out really as being all that different from the rest of the games that have followed. It's still essentially just a game with a few more controllers and songs. Although what it does do, it does do well.
Perhaps that when one examines the "Music" genre, it's best to weigh the genre on its own merits, rather than comparing it to the accomplishments of other genres. If you're going to compare the innovations made, in say, the FPS genre with games like Half-Life or Deus Ex, then it's inevitable that one will be disappointed when they see the innovations the Music genre has come up with, as they are considerably less impressive. However, if you just look at the Music genre itself, and compare the changes which have been made between, say, the first Guitar Hero, and (my personal favourite music game) Rock Band 2, the various changes and expansions which have been offered gameplay wise are quite impressive, at least in my opinion.

BlindMessiah94 said:
I guess the question is what will the next few Guitar Hero or RB or Singstar game look like? How much further can these genres go? Will they just add on gimicky sells (Now with new Britney Spears Headset!!) and updated Song choices? Or will they do some really cool things with the interface they have perfected?

Maybe if this genre is given more time some really unique and interesting things will pop up. It has potential to stay the same or to spawn some cool ideas. Maybe a game where you play your guitar to cast spells in a dungeon as a minstrel or something. Who knows, I am not a game designer. I think the list was just pre-emptive in it's pick.

Your turn :D
As far as I'm concerned, the Guitar Hero series is dead in the water...Activision seems less than willing to introduce anything even remotely original or innovating, and as a result all we've got over the past 3 or 4 years is a series of copy-and-pasted GH games with a different number or band name on the cover. Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Van Halen, Guitar Hero Metallica....these are all the same freaking game. As you mentioned, I do believe that these games have quite a bit of potential, but, at the same time, I can't help but feel that there just happens to be a certain degree of shallowness inherent in the Music genre. In other words, it's really beyond me what more game designers could really do with this formula. Then again, I lack creativity, so perhaps somebody else will come up with something interesting.

Going back to why "Guitar Hero" was on this list in the first place, I just think that, although it's very true that game designers have been unable to expand on the original GH formula to the same extent that designers have expanded on other genres, that doesn't necessarily change the fact that GH is still very definitive, and it provided a very strong base on which to build on; it's not Guitar Hero's fault that those game designers working on Music games haven't been as creative or innovative as designers working on other genres.

I think that Rock Band has managed to expand on the genre particularly well, but there is definitely more room for growth. Perhaps fans of the Music genre will get lucky, and a collection of minds as creative as those who worked on games like Deus Ex will end up making an insanely awesome music game. It's unlikely, but it could happen.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
SonicKoala said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
-Snipped-

Anyway,
Your Rock Band argument is interesting but I don't think I fully agree with it. I never found the campaign mode or online mode to be "expanding" on the formula. It was more or less just more motivation to play the game when you didn't have people over to play with. Many games tack on campaigns or online play for this reason.

The addition of instruments is interesting but it will start becoming annoying if they keep on adding instrument after instrument and just convolute the screen (didn't they recently add keyboards?). They can't keep doing that forever.
Yes, they did add keyboards in Rock Band 3, as well as adding the more "realistic" guitar controller which is essentially like a real guitar. Mind you, I haven't played Rock Band 3, and even if I do get that game, I have no intention of embracing these new controllers which I personally fine excessive, particularly the more "realistic" guitar. Seriously, it's a video game - let's keep it that way. I've always hated the "why play Rock Band, go play real guitar" argument that you hear from so many people, as the illusion of being able to play real guitar with only five buttons is part of the game's appeal. But with this new hardcore, "realistic" mode, well....I'd rather just go and play my real guitar, as opposed to taking the time to get good at playing "fake real" guitar (that's a confusing sentence).

BlindMessiah94 said:
I do think the solo sections were a lot better in Rock Band though, I will give you that. Definitely an improvement on the formula.

I guess when I look at Rock Band though within it's "Guitar Hero music genre" as this article has so somewhat dubbed it, it doesn't stand out really as being all that different from the rest of the games that have followed. It's still essentially just a game with a few more controllers and songs. Although what it does do, it does do well.
Perhaps that when one examines the "Music" genre, it's best to weigh the genre on its own merits, rather than comparing it to the accomplishments of other genres. If you're going to compare the innovations made, in say, the FPS genre with games like Half-Life or Deus Ex, then it's inevitable that one will be disappointed when they see the innovations the Music genre has come up with, as they are considerably less impressive. However, if you just look at the Music genre itself, and compare the changes which have been made between, say, the first Guitar Hero, and (my personal favourite music game) Rock Band 2, the various changes and expansions which have been offered gameplay wise are quite impressive, at least in my opinion.

BlindMessiah94 said:
I guess the question is what will the next few Guitar Hero or RB or Singstar game look like? How much further can these genres go? Will they just add on gimicky sells (Now with new Britney Spears Headset!!) and updated Song choices? Or will they do some really cool things with the interface they have perfected?

Maybe if this genre is given more time some really unique and interesting things will pop up. It has potential to stay the same or to spawn some cool ideas. Maybe a game where you play your guitar to cast spells in a dungeon as a minstrel or something. Who knows, I am not a game designer. I think the list was just pre-emptive in it's pick.

Your turn :D
As far as I'm concerned, the Guitar Hero series is dead in the water...Activision seems less than willing to introduce anything even remotely original or innovating, and as a result all we've got over the past 3 or 4 years is a series of copy-and-pasted GH games with a different number or band name on the cover. Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Van Halen, Guitar Hero Metallica....these are all the same freaking game. As you mentioned, I do believe that these games have quite a bit of potential, but, at the same time, I can't help but feel that there just happens to be a certain degree of shallowness inherent in the Music genre. In other words, it's really beyond me what more game designers could really do with this formula. Then again, I lack creativity, so perhaps somebody else will come up with something interesting.

Going back to why "Guitar Hero" was on this list in the first place, I just think that, although it's very true that game designers have been unable to expand on the original GH formula to the same extent that designers have expanded on other genres, that doesn't necessarily change the fact that GH is still very definitive, and it provided a very strong base on which to build on; it's not Guitar Hero's fault that those game designers working on Music games haven't been as creative or innovative as designers working on other genres.

I think that Rock Band has managed to expand on the genre particularly well, but there is definitely more room for growth. Perhaps fans of the Music genre will get lucky, and a collection of minds as creative as those who worked on games like Deus Ex will end up making an insanely awesome music game. It's unlikely, but it could happen.
I see your points. Maybe my idea of a "definitive game" is just a bit different than this articles. You are right that it isn't really Guitar Hero's fault that no one has bothered to do anything with what they have created that isn't a clone.

In all reality though, I do see this genre continuing to stagnate. We see it with Sports games and how they just repackage the same game with Roster Updates. That's basically what this Music genre has become. I hope someone does something unique though. An RPG where you controlled your guy's spells via a GH controller does sound awesome the more I think about it.

Also remember Mutant League Hockey? Now there's sports innovation.

Good discussion sir, glad we eventually began to understand one another.

The Atomic Lamp

Jun 2, 2008
Can I suggest Fifa 95. I would still agree with madden as I have played some myself but I think given that there is a genuine disparity between USA and europe with regards to sport including the two would have been better. What about GoldenEye also?

AzraelSteel

Aug 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
MintyNinja said:
I was honestly expecting Grand Theft Auto to be on this list. Don't know what to think now that it's not there. meh.
We specifically only wanted to highlight specific genres in our genre wheel. While Grand Theft Auto 3 was definitely a game that spawned many imitators, it is a mixture of different genres like driving, brawler, shooter and RPG. Open world or sandbox games aren't a genre but more of a quality that some games have.
John Funk said:
We're differentiating from the first true one and the one that *defined* the genre. It's why we chose, say, Street Fighter 2 over Street fighter.
Thought these might bear repeating, since, they've seemed to pass most people by.

Overall for me, though, good list. Liked the occasional "originator" aside on some of them.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Ahh... The original Alone in the Dark. Probably the first game I ever played. I WAS FOUR. AND IT WAS AWESOME. It's so strange that a 'horror' game (that really did scare me a considerable number of times) got me into the subculture when I was four years old, but god damn that game was so cool.
And the sequels sucked ass... Kinda. (3 and 4 were okay)

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
A pretty rounded and diverse list, and I understand most of the choices even if I don't agree with them....

but seriously, Guitar Hero? I hardly think it "defined a genre" simply by being a music game. Just because it spewed a bunch of clones like Singstar doesn't make it a definitive game. Almost every other game you listed created a great foundation in which designers have used as a foundation to make some awesome games within the genre. Granted there are a lot of clones. For every Deus Ex there are a hundred other generic FPS'. But what has Guitar Hero inspired besides essentially more drunken karoakesque games? Correct me if I'm wrong...
I'd think DDR defined it first, and definitely more closely to Dance Aerobics.

Then again, I don't play those games today.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Mookalakai said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the first third person shooter game was? Or at least the genre definer.
Contra? Bionic Commando? Metal Gear (the original)?

As for who defined it - Tomb Raider?

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Worgen said:
no listing for starcontrol 2?

for shame

although I suppose its one of the games thats pretty much stand alone since really there isnt much else out there like it
I love this game.

I would say - Star Control was originated by "SpaceWar" which took a cue from "Asteroids".

Starscape and Star Control II began the space tycoon aspect of the game that I think ends with EVE online.

Wing Commander probably defined Space Shooters moreso, as Star Control 4 was going to be a clone.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
jmarquiso said:
Worgen said:

for shame

although I suppose its one of the games thats pretty much stand alone since really there isnt much else out there like it
I love this game.

I would say - Star Control was originated by "SpaceWar" which took a cue from "Asteroids".

Starscape and Star Control II began the space tycoon aspect of the game that I think ends with EVE online.

Wing Commander probably defined Space Shooters moreso, as Star Control 4 was going to be a clone.
I dont know about starcontrol 4 being a clone, as far as I know after the crappy sc3 they pretty much left the series, altho the original creators would like to make another one if they can get enough interest

kgagne

Feb 17, 2010
Great list. However, Colossal Cave (aka Adventure) was a text adventure, or interactive fiction (IF). It was played by a single user and was not a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon).

capnpupster

Jul 15, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised to see X-Com on here. To me it isn't really genre defining, it's what should have been genre defining. Even the team behind it struggled to re-capture everything that makes it great. Sure there have been a few spiritual successors that have come close, but they all miss at least one core element of the structure. UFO:Afterlight came close, but because of the highly limited nature of your personnel the game had to play "fair", which is something X-Com never even pretended to do.

For the record I want to state that my opinion is completely free of nostalgia, I never even played the original X-Com until 2006 or so, somehow I missed it.

Anyway, good list, not all-encompassing, but that would've been asking too much.

capnpupster

Jul 15, 2008
Worgen said:
jmarquiso said:
Worgen said:

for shame

I love this game.

I dont know about starcontrol 4 being a clone, as far as I know after the crappy sc3 they pretty much left the series, altho the original creators would like to make another one if they can get enough interest
How do I help them know they have enough interest!?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
capnpupster said:
Worgen said:
jmarquiso said:
Worgen said:

for shame

I love this game.

How do I help them know they have enough interest!?
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ check that out, you can dl sc2 for free and its the neogeo version with speech and sign the petition, and get all your friends to sign it also

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
morbidpixie said:
Ahem... Wolfenstein 3D did it. Not Doom. Doom had the multiplayer, so you could say it was the start of FPS Multiplayer. But Wolfenstein 3D was the "put you inside a person's head"
Catacomb Abyss 3d came out before Wolfenstein 3d. But now we're just getting silly. There's no argument that Battlezone was the first to put you in first person control of a shooter. Doom was the one to really define the whole genre back then though. Wolf 3d is legendary, but Doom still smoked it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A few bugs:

there were three special moves in the entire game, and there was a single button for punch and a single button for kick.
Actually, the more common version of the Street Fighter cabinet had much the same button set-up we know today- three punches, three kicks. There was a deluxe cabinet with a single big button for punch and kick, but it was still using an analog setup to translate how hard the player hit the button into one of three strike "strengths".

See here: http://www.coinopspace.com/forum/topics/selling-the-original-1987?page=1&commentId=2467396%3AComment%3A119098&x=1#2467396Comment119098

And if you're bothering to mention genre origins, it seems unfortunate not to mention either Karate Champ or Yie Ar Kung Fu. The first of which played until one player had won two "points" against his human or computer opponent, and the second of which had health bars at the top of the screen.

Tetris didn't officially make it to the United States until 1989 when it was bundled with the Nintendo Gameboy.
Wikipedia disagrees, depending on how you're defining "officially":

Meanwhile, before any legal rights were settled, the Spectrum HoloByte IBM PC version of Tetris was released in the United States in 1986. The game's popularity was tremendous, and many players were instantly hooked?it was a software blockbuster, with reviews such as in Computer Gaming World calling the game "deceptively simple and insidiously addictive".
The fact is, I know I played Tetris before I ever saw it on a Gameboy. I don't deny that the Gameboy version brought it into more people's hands, but credit where credit is due.