12-Year-Old Rings Up $1400 Farmville Bill

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
ha ha $1400 my brother ran up his cell phone bill to $2300 because he didn't realize we didn't have unlimited texts and anytime minutes...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I love how people manage to blame the mother's sheer incompetence on Zynga.

Zynga did... nothing wrong whatsoever!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
AC10 said:
Does anyone else wonder how Zynga could possibly have it set up so you could blow over a thousand dollars on a game? You could buy like every fucking item in one of those free to play Asian MMOs and it wouldn't run you that much.

Also, isn't there like a 13 year or older rule for facebook games?
Sorry for the double-post, but there are reusable premium items you can buy. He might've bought a whole lot of wooden boards. (Like, the entire Amazon's worth.)

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
cainx10a said:
I really believe in this case they should allow a refund, as someone said, if the minimum age requirement is 13, which the kid didn't meet, he shouldn't have been allowed to be on face book and playing this game.

And Zynga keeping the money for what really are a bunch of useless and digital trinkets, while this money could be best used for the little family is just not cool.
Zynga keeping the money and suspending the account is even lower
he dont even get to keep his digital trinkets

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
I don't even know if I have spent that much money on gaming in my entire life.

In the words of the Salesman on Kung Pow "Thats alot of nuts" ( or in this case of fuckton of carrots)

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
See its not the hardcore games that you expect to ruin your life, it the casual ones that catch you by surprise.

vivec

Nov 21, 2009
Thats a fucking joke, im 13 and i know when i was 12 four moths ago i wouldn't have done that.
The parents ain't to blame, thats just a cotton wool way of looking at it, Zynga cant be blamed because there a company making money like there meant to.

The kid should be tied a truck and dragged across the m6 that would be a much better way to spend the money!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
You know this makes me worry, I have a few friends who play these facebook games quite alot& after reading this& known first hand how all these small little charges can all add up over time, it wouldn't surprise me if there a huge number of incidence like this happening with the free to play games

Sure how many of us hear have paid for an app on the iTunes store even thou we said we would never pay for one . . . *raises his hand*

- M

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
What retarded mother would let her 12 year old son onto the Internet with HER CREDIT CARD INFORMATION?

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
This all could've been avoided if his mom made him use Kwedit [http://kwedit.com/].

Which, by the way, is not a very good idea either.

Whatever way you turn it, the damage has been done, and this kid probably has some sort of future in gaming if he's THAT addicted.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Knight Templar said:
And Zynga doesn't have systems in place to prevent this? A god dam 12 year old is allowed to run up debt of $1400?
This is a company that is run by an admitted scam-artist. Of course they don't give a damn if they defraud people. It's simply the truth of the matter, blunt and unpopular though it may be.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Why do stories like this keep happening? Don't parents know to keep their credit cards and other finances away from their stupid kids?

I just love how unhelpful Facebook and Zynga are being about it... and why did they suspend the kid's account? I mean, he paid right? So they just took his money and suspended him because he was a bad boy or something? o_O

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Gunner 51 said:
Wow, 1200 USD is one hell of a lot of money to blow on a game. I hope that kid finds some way of paying back his mother though.

But that's the trouble with digital distribution: you can't tell who in a household actually bought the goods. Ergo, no refund.

Yet Zynga were more than happy to keep the money for themselves and keep it quiet. Surely they knew that the farmer was a child somehow?
You seem to run under the assumption that Zynga cares about that. Considering what has been reported about Zynga thus far, they don't care who the farmer was, as long as they get their money. And they don't even have to contest refunding the money except for one time with the credit card company. The credit card won't go out of its way either. They leave that entirely on the customer's shoulders.
I hope this lady closed her credit card account right off, as well as deleted any credit cards from accounts online. Even if she got a new account and card, she can leave the kid thinking that there isn't one in the household to use. He can get a debit card and put his own hard earned money into that.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
You seem to run under the assumption that Zynga cares about that. Considering what has been reported about Zynga thus far, they don't care who the farmer was, as long as they get their money. And they don't even have to contest refunding the money except for one time with the credit card company. The credit card won't go out of its way either. They leave that entirely on the customer's shoulders.
I hope this lady closed her credit card account right off, as well as deleted any credit cards from accounts online. Even if she got a new account and card, she can leave the kid thinking that there isn't one in the household to use. He can get a debit card and put his own hard earned money into that.
I have never owned a credit card in my life, unless we count "prepaid credit cards" which actually aren't credit cards. It puts a serious limitation on just how much money someone can take from me.

On a related but more tangential note, I keep my debit card in my fire safe, with other vaulables like my birth certificate and passport, taking it out only long enough to withdraw the money I need for food/etc every two weeks when the pay comes in.

Really people need to treat these kinds of cards as they would a SIN (social insurance number) card or other piece of valuable. Your life can get just as fucked up by someone getting a hold of your credit as it can be by someone getting your SIN card. Easier in fact, since the fraud with SIN cards requires some setup whilst anyone who grabs a credit card can easily max out the credit rating.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Wow. No more pocket money for a few years, huh? The fact that the kid even got his hands on his parents' credit card makes me think his mother kind of had this coming. I think there are at least two morals to this story...

WanderFreak said:
Sir Ollie said:
What can you buy with $1400 on Farmville?

Carrots?
A metric fuckton of carrots.
What's the real world equivalent of a virtual metric fuckton of carrots? o_O

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Ah man, I was having a crappy day, then I read this. And there was lol to be had.

I love this place.