Steam Controller Trades Touchscreen for Buttons

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Steam Controller Trades Touchscreen for Buttons

Valve's unique Steam Controller just got a little more approachable, after ditching its central touchscreen.

In case you didn't know, the Steam Controller is really weird [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128240-Valve-Reveals-the-Steam-Controller]. Valve made a lot of changes to the traditional controller layout, including a somewhat awkwardly-placed touchscreen and an alarming lack of conventional buttons. Well, after receiving feedback from the controller's beta phase, it seems like the company has decided not to reinvent the wheel quite so much: the touchscreen is getting the axe in a new design, and it looks like we'll be getting some buttons and maybe a d-pad instead. Chalk one up for tradition.

The redesign is much closer to the PlayStation and Xbox layouts that have become the norm, for the purpose of backwards compatibility. However, the two trackpads that replace traditional analog sticks (arguably the controller's most defining feature) still dominate the face of the controller. The final position and layout of the buttons and/or d-pad is still undecided, so don't be surprised if Valve sends out another wave of beta controllers before settling on the definitive retail version.

As an added bonus, ditching the touchscreen might mean a lower price tag on the final controller, but of course it's far too early to say for sure.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/15/steam-controller-changes/]

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Christ it looks boring as fuck now. Its time gaming took this design of putting shitloads of buttons on the side of the controller with the least number of available fingers out behind the shed and put two shells through its head. It needs to fucking die.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm not sold. Granted, I haven't held the controller at all but, in the mock up at least, it looks like the newly added buttons are not in a very user friendly location. Particularly given that the outer edge of the controller appears fairly thick, the buttons look placed way too far inward to allow for comfortable use. It's sort of like saying "Yeah, we've got traditional buttons now!" without actually really thinking about where those buttons are.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Much improvement. Now the thumbs don't have to push buttons in stupid places.
Also, to the ragers, just because the front of the controller has been improved, it doesn't mean that the buttons on the back were removed. The article & source don't mention anything about the back of the controller. You have no reason to complain yet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I like it better than before, but it's still got the same basic problem the other controllers have. You have to take your hands off the D-Pads (screens/whatever) to press buttons.

Desert Punk said:
...So how about picking up that same 30 day return policy that EA beat you to Valve? ~.^
You're funny.

reiniat said:
They are incapable to do that, think on the amount of cheap, short, or campaign only titles that will be bought to play trough the whole game and after 30 days will be asked for refund and thus enjoying all the features the game has to offer and ultimately paying nothing.
Wait, so big bad evil EA can do it, GoG can do it without a significant rise in claims, but Valve, the mighty altruistic company run by God-King Gabe Newell can't?

A more reasonable assessment would be "won't" because they're still lacking in the customer service department.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well hey look at that, it now looks like any other controller out there on the market but with trackpad tech.

I'm still on the fence with wanting to try one but I can see why they wouldn't want to gamble with a TS interface.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I like it better than before, but it's still got the same basic problem the other controllers have. You have to take your hands off the D-Pads (screens/whatever) to press buttons.

Desert Punk said:
...So how about picking up that same 30 day return policy that EA beat you to Valve? ~.^
You're funny.

reiniat said:
They are incapable to do that, think on the amount of cheap, short, or campaign only titles that will be bought to play trough the whole game and after 30 days will be asked for refund and thus enjoying all the features the game has to offer and ultimately paying nothing.
Wait, so big bad evil EA can do it, GoG can do it without a significant rise in claims, but Valve, the mighty altruistic company run by God-King Gabe Newell can't?

A more reasonable assessment would be "won't" because they're still lacking in the customer service department.
GOG only does it on games that physically won't run on your computer and all their support options dont work.

EA's only works on EA games (I think)

So yeah it makes sense that Valve wouldn't offer it the same way...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'm kinda torn in this. The touch screen controller does have it's cons and pros. It's possible to customize the number of buttons you want with a touch screen controller, but it's harder to get the feedback that lets you know you're touching specific buttons. There's also the cost of making it which would be quite high for a touch screen controller, this will probably be a little cheaper to make.

Still, I was kinda intrigued when they tried to do something new, now we just get more of the same. Maybe it's for the best though.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I really like the cool owl-eye buttons on the controller. I look forward to trying one out. Don't care about touchscreen or the other buttons.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
While I'm saddened to see it go[footnote]Because really, even the basic ideas they had in mind for the feature sets built around the touchscreen sounded absolutely fantastic. Feature sets even Sony hasn't considered for the DualShock 4.[/footnote] I understand why they're removing it.

And no, it's not just from user feedback. During testing they've noticed that players spent an inordinate amount of timing looking at the controller's screen instead of the game. Something they'd like to avoid causing.

Now, I'm convinced part of that tendency is the beta users unfamiliarity with the controller; which is something that could be rectified with continued use. But if the consensus is that it be removed, so be it.

Still, I wish they'd include, in the very least, a third touchpad where the touchscreen was. Perhaps a smaller, rectangular one that utilizes the same haptic feedback tech as the two primary pads. That way, they could still implement the same or similar features as the touchscreen was to have but without the added price and "awkwardness".

matrix3509 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
StriderShinryu said:
Just for clarity's sake, the image in the OP isn't the finalized build, nor even the current working mockup. It was simply a quick mock-up to be shown at the Valve Dev Days conference. Something they "whipped together" to emphasize their design changes rather than showing the actual new design.

=[edit]=
I stand corrected. Upon further info being revealed, it seems the image is a rough approximation of the current, working test model. Still subject to change.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Now it looks like an insect's head.

I dunno, seems like a step closer to a tradition controller style, making it's purpose even less well defined. If they add thumbsticks in the next update...

Ah well. At least it doesn't look like [a href=http://zzombiexiii.deviantart.com/art/S-T-E-A-M-E-406580718]a distant relative of WALL-E anymore[/a].

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
God damn it. One step forward and two steps back; I was seriously looking forward to the touchscreen.

Which bright-ass chucklehead told them it didn't look enough like a 360 controller or something?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So we're going with the SNES button layout yet again? Oh well, you know how gamers are:

But seriously, this looks lame. This controller was clearly designed so the thumb is on the track pad most of the time. Shouldn't we lay out the buttons so that they're most easily accessable from that position? Something more like this:

You know, so you're not having to move your thumb over one row of buttons to get to another. I'm no genius mind you, but this just feels like common sense. This is pretty close to what the gamecube controller was aiming at and people seemed to like that.

AzrealMaximillion said:
I need a working D-Pad for my fighting games. So close Valve, so close....
Then just use a regular gamepad. This controller is designed to be a more livingroom friendly alternative to the mouse and keyboard. It wasn't meant to be the ultimate controller for all types of games.