Microsoft Offers $100 Store Credit for Trading In PS3 for Xbox One

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Microsoft Offers $100 Store Credit for Trading In PS3 for Xbox One

Microsoft asks people to "ditch" their PS3 systems for an Xbox One, and the company will give people $100 for doing so.

In an email to customers, Microsoft announced its promotion for trade-ins toward the Xbox One. From Jan. 23 to Mar. 2, customers receive $100 in store credit when trading in select game consoles for an Xbox One. However, the email pushes trade-ins of PS3 systems.

The image in the email reads, "Ditch your PS3 and get $100 store credit towards Xbox One." This store credit would reduce the price gap between the PS4 and the Xbox One. The offer listed on the Microsoft Store website mentions that customers can also receive store credit buy trading in an Xbox 360. Neither the Xbox One nor the PS4 is backward compatible, meaning anyone who wants to continue playing games on those systems need to keep them. Traded-in PS3s must be in working condition, but Microsoft will recycle them.

Microsoft and Sony started out the launches of their new consoles with congratulatory remarks toward each other as the companies tried to put an end to melodramatic console wars. Now marketing trumps it all. Promotional materials target Sony's PS3, highlighting trade-ins of the PS3 over trade-ins of the Xbox 360. Both systems still have some life left in them with many games still underway for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Tempting PS3 owners to trade in their systems for a new Xbox One may be difficult. Even if they don't end up buying PS4 right away, there are plenty of reasons to hold on to the previous generation of consoles for a bit longer.

Source: The Verge [http://content.microsoftstore.com/en-us/offers/fashionsquare#offer-trade-console]

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
They act like they are doing terrible...just because you're not on top this time doesn't mean you're doing bad. From what I've seen, the PS4 may be selling better, but barely. It's nothing compared to the last gen PS3 vs. 360 sales, and I didn't see any "Trade in your Xbox for credit towards a PS3" garbage.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Yes, sell your PS3, so you can purchase your Xbone for the equivalent price, of a PS4. Now, on the flipside. I can buy a PS4, keep my PS3 and my library of games for it, and give Microsoft nothing. Sadly for them, I have already done the latter, so they can go Xbone someone else.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Jesus Christ MS. Your just turning more scuzzy by the day. I would hold out for when your offering sexual favours in dark alleyways but I don't wanted to catch something really nasty.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
That's a terrible deal. I mean hell, the PS3 has a huge library and is getting a slew of new games this year alone. I mean hell, you'd probably get more use out of your PS3 and 360 than a PS4 or Xbox One at the moment. If it were Microsoft offering that for turning in your 360, then yeah that would make sense, but asking people to ditch the console of their competitor seems just desperate for some reason.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Microsoft could just remove Kinect from Xbone and it could drop in $100.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Why is Microsoft doing all of *this*?

I mean, Nintendo got screwed with the 3DS and once again with the WiiU, but it's not like they're doing anything stu-

Bad example.

But seriously, this just smacks of desperation, stop trying to trip up your competitor and give bonuses to people who already have an XbOne or provide more incentives to people who are considering buying it.

Like, I don't know, a free 3-month subscription to Netflix or something.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Oh come on Microsoft. This is just getting sad.
This is desperate, stupid, sad and pathetic.
If I wasn't so used to my windows PC and had so many games on it that require windows to play, I would now seriously consider installing Linux.
A company this desperate, obvious and pathetic doesn't deserve my support.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This is actually dissuading me FROM an Xbox One...
I'd even recommend a PS3 over an Xbox One at this point.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
This is a really strange tactic. They're acting like the Xbone is competing with the PS3. People selling their PS3s won't make you the dominent player...

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
this confuses the hell out of me.
i mean i guess MS wants an edge by having more consoles out there than its predecessors, but this is the same kind of mean spirited shallow marketing back when the original console wars were raging and with systems like the jaguar.
i mean if that trade in was just with the 360, i could understand, but with a competitor?

or is this what marketing is nowadays and im just old?

either way, im sticking with PC until the console makers stop playing funny buggers and get serious about the games.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Microsoft... guys....

You're not doing poorly enough to be this desperate.

Looking this desperate just makes it look like you're doing poorly.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Anyone who takes advantage of this 'offer' deserves this 'offer' and the lack of gaming it will bring them. I expect some enterprising weasels will buy some cheapo PS3s, trade them in for the discount and then resell the Xbones for a small profit.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
This is silly considering {in the UK at least) PS3 consoles still go for between $120-$150 on Ebay.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Quiotu said:
A fan-made response to this ad is pretty win, IMO.
Pretty much nails it, does it not? Where the hell is the value in this deal? Asking players to give up their library of games on the PS3 just to get a competitive price on a new console is idiotic when they can just buy a PS4 instead and keep everything. I can only guess that this would appeal to somebody who bought a PS3 and doesn't like the thing.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
Anyone who takes advantage of this 'offer' deserves this 'offer' and the lack of gaming it will bring them. I expect some enterprising weasels will buy some cheapo PS3s, trade them in for the discount and then resell the Xbones for a small profit.
While I agree with your assessment of this "offer" being less than sensible, why would someone making money from doing a little reselling shell game be a "weasel"? I'm not necessarily contesting your description, just curious as to why you chose it. Reselling like that seems a legitimate enterprise to me, or at least more legitimate than the bad deal Microsoft is offering.