Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 8 "The Mountain and the Viper" Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 8 "The Mountain and the Viper" Review

We got the fight choreography we were looking for in the latest episode of HBO?s fantasy epic.

Read Full Article

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've found Dany's portrayal in the show to be annoyingly inconsistent as well. I'm not the biggest fan of her as portrayed in the books either but maybe the fact you spend more time with her there makes her at least seem less all over the place. I did like how they chose to play her being by Jorah's betrayal in this episode though. Of particular note was how they made it very clear that the part she was hurt by most was Jorah revealing she was carrying a child. That showed, to me at least, a little bit of actual political shrewdness. One lone girl on the other end of the world isn't much of a threat. A girl wedded to a Khal and carrying a child who could carry on the legacy of the Targaryen line however? That's something much more dangerous.

I also really enjoyed the scene with Jamie and Tyrion. Such a good moment that had me waiting for the big revelation. That big moment that would clarify the situation. And then there wasn't one, and that made me love the scene even more.

I actually found the Viper VS Mountain fight a little underwhelming. Maybe it was due to me knowing how it ended, but it just didn't feel very epic. It was too short and, despite his size, I was never convinced that The Mountain was all that much of a threat. As the fight was choreographed, Oberyn just made it look too easy. Had we at least recently seen The Mountain in action outside of slaughtering unarmed slaves it might have been different.

I sort of expected the fight to be the big episode 9 moment of this season so I'm quite interested in seeing what they choose instead. I also am very much looking forward to seeing how the apparent Arya/Sansa/Brienne collision is going to be handled.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I was also disappointed about the way in which Dany dismissed Jorah. I think the little details about him being self-righteous rather than humble was important. As was the fact that Dany really didn't want to dismiss him and it really tears her up that he doesn't give her a choice.

It seems like a small thing to nitpick about but Daenerys is straying away from being relatable and sympathetic and I think they need to show her softer and caring side a bit more.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Another moment in the episode that jumped out to me was in the scene where Tyrion's listing off all the different words for murdering a family member, it's Jamie who brings up "cousin." I just thought that was a neat and subtle little call back to Jamie's escape from Robb's camp in season two.

Captcha: "the next level" - it truly is, captcha. It truly is.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Yea, holy shit, that ending was gross and undeserving. Then again, I should be getting used to Martin swiping the rug from under the "hero"s feet. I liked that character, too =/

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
freaper said:
Yea, holy shit, that ending was gross and undeserving.
Preach.

I was fairly certain the Red Viper was going to get killed, I know how Georgie works by now, even after everything looked to be working out my thought process went basically like this: "Chop off his hands, chop off his hands, chop off his...why are you STANDING SO CLOSE?!?! Ope your fucking dead. I hate this show."

It is terribly unfortunate seeing as he was my favorite new character and the only decent fighter who isn't a complete pile of crap morally. Basically he was obvious fodder for our disgusting author. Those visuals went too far in my opinion, goddamn I didn't need to see that and I don't get squeamish at all. I'm curious as to how he died in the book and whether or not the skull pop was a new edition, I feel like it probably was.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
freaper said:
Yea, holy shit, that ending was gross and undeserving. Then again, I should be getting used to Martin swiping the rug from under the "hero"s feet. I liked that character, too =/
Of course you did, that was the calculation the writers made. XD Oberyn is the only character in the series who appeared in all 8 of the episodes up to the current this season, and he tended to give very charismatic performances, all the while detesting the detestable lannisters while showing sympathy for the sympathetic one. It was all a deliberate effort to endear him as much to the fans as possible before he died. Pack of trolls, all of 'em... though I guess GRRM did the same thing with him. XD (though, in his defense, I think he said he was surprised the character developed such a following)

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Right Hook said:
freaper said:
It is terribly unfortunate seeing as he was my favorite new character and the only decent fighter who isn't a complete pile of crap morally. Basically he was obvious fodder for our disgusting author. Those visuals went too far in my opinion, goddamn I didn't need to see that and I don't get squeamish at all. I'm curious as to how he died in the book and whether or not the skull pop was a new edition, I feel like it probably was.
The only big difference was the eye gouging. In the books, the mountain killed him with a single punch, crushing his head.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
balladbird said:
The only big difference was the eye gouging. In the books, the mountain killed him with a single punch, crushing his head.
Ah, I figured, personally I feel like that would have been better just to be quick about it. From what I've been hearing about half the audience shuts their eyes as soon as Gregor gets a hold of him anyway, can't really blame them haha.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I'm so freaking furious with that fight... I mean, I'm not against Oberyn dying, I'm against how he died. It just felt so completely forced. Are you seriously telling me that a warrior of Oberyn's skills and reflexes wouldn't just, you know, ROLL AWAY after getting swiped to the ground? Or that he wouldn't be able to simply block a direct hit to the face? Or are we just gonna dismiss that The Mountain was able to do all that after getting pierced, cut, and poisoned while wearing a HEAVY ARMOR! And not just that, that fucking caricature of a character even had a whitty remark to say as a final nail polish on the middle finger to the whole audience. It just felt forced. I don't think I was ever so disappointed with that show before. It just feels that everyone does deliberately things just so that bad guys would win. Oh sure, give up to the army that has A FLAYED MAN as their flag, no way it's gonna backfire.

And also, when Mortal Kombat feels less violent that this, you know you're trying too hard.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Right Hook said:
I'm curious as to how he died in the book and whether or not the skull pop was a new edition, I feel like it probably was.
The Mountain started confessing to get his attention and he told Oberyn what he did and then said "I smashed her skull, like this!" and then smashed Oberyns skull like a watermelon with a single punch with blood and brains going everywhere, the way it happened was different but the end result was the same.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
IllumInaTIma said:
This, so much this. Why the flying fuck did Oberyn try to get on top of The Moutanin like he was going to punch him out, what the fuck? Oberyn could of just rolled to the side and got his spear but nope. He thought he could take on the pissed off near steroidal psychopath. Even more so in the book when he's supposedly 8ft and has the equivilent of a tank hanging off him as armor.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
DerangedHobo said:
IllumInaTIma said:
This, so much this. Why the flying fuck did Oberyn try to get on top of The Moutanin like he was going to punch him out, what the fuck? Oberyn could of just rolled to the side and got his spear but nope. He thought he could take on the pissed off near steroidal psychopath. Even more so in the book when he's supposedly 8ft and has the equivilent of a tank hanging off him as armor.
I don't think Oberyn tried to get on the top of The Mountain, but rather the Mountain lifted Oberyn above himself to punch him. It's still freaking bullshit though.

Jan 12, 2012
"Got to keep up appearances," Snow says to Reek. "Flaying's a lost art." I guess Ramsay is the hipster of Westeros. "I was into flaying the skin off my enemies before it was cool."
I think you missed a bit of neat phrasing there. IIRC, Ramsey said something like, "Did they really expect me to keep my word? It's something of a lost art. Flaying is difficult, but it's important to keep up traditions." There's a lovely bit of ambiguity about the "lost art".
IllumInaTIma said:
I'm so freaking furious with that fight... I mean, I'm not against Oberyn dying, I'm against how he died. It just felt so completely forced. Are you seriously telling me that a warrior of Oberyn's skills and reflexes wouldn't just, you know, ROLL AWAY after getting swiped to the ground? Or that he wouldn't be able to simply block a direct hit to the face? Or are we just gonna dismiss that The Mountain was able to do all that after getting pierced, cut, and poisoned while wearing a HEAVY ARMOR! And not just that, that fucking caricature of a character even had a whitty remark to say as a final nail polish on the middle finger to the whole audience. It just felt forced. I don't think I was ever so disappointed with that show before. It just feels that everyone does deliberately things just so that bad guys would win. Oh sure, give up to the army that has A FLAYED MAN as their flag, no way it's gonna backfire.

And also, when Mortal Kombat feels less violent that this, you know you're trying too hard.
I think the Mountain grabbed him right as he fell, preventing him from getting away. And it shows the character of the Red Viper well; he was skilled and cocky, he thought he had won and was about to reap his vengeance, and his lack of care was met with an utterly brutal end. The victory of viciousness over honour, skill, cleverness and grace (at least short-term) has been hammered in with this show over and over again.

As for the Mountain being able to do that... that's kind of the point. He's a freak of nature, unnaturally strong and tough. Unfortunately, the show didn't show him off as much as they could have (change of actor didn't help) but he was still clearly not exactly human. To me, his 'witty' response felt justified as the sort of nasty thing a bully might say when he has you entirely in his power.

And surrendering to the Boltons was basically the only option the ironborn had. The show only gave it a brief time (I liked this episode, but by golly it was fast-paced), but the garrison was dying of disease and harassment. If they didn't give up, they'd be whittled down; the leader decided to fight to the end, but clearly his men weren't so keen and seized whatever out they could. Plus, the banner doesn't mean they are untrustworthy per se: they have a sinister reputation, but they say (both in the books and some time in the second season) that the Boltons are supposed to have given up flaying centuries ago. They're a noble house who spit upon the honour of their word by going back on the surrender. Even the ironborn, who don't like the rest of the kingdoms, wouldn't massacre people who had surrendered.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think the Mountain grabbed him right as he fell, preventing him from getting away. And it shows the character of the Red Viper well; he was skilled and cocky, he thought he had won and was about to reap his vengeance, and his lack of care was met with an utterly brutal end. The victory of viciousness over honour, skill, cleverness and grace (at least short-term) has been hammered in with this show over and over again.

As for the Mountain being able to do that... that's kind of the point. He's a freak of nature, unnaturally strong and tough. Unfortunately, the show didn't show him off as much as they could have (change of actor didn't help) but he was still clearly not exactly human. To me, his 'witty' response felt justified as the sort of nasty thing a bully might say when he has you entirely in his power.
I rewatched that scene couple times and I'm pretty sure he didn't. Oberyn was just kinda lying there. And this is the thing, no matter how arrogant or unfocused you are, the warrior of his level has to have this kind of thing trained to the reflex. Regrouping before falling is one the most basic things that every martial art teaches. Show just decided that Oberyn must die and that was it. He will forget the most basic thing and die. Period.
And no matter how freakish you are it is still bullshit. It is medieval heavy armor. That shit was so heavy that falling from your horse would basically pin knight to the ground, not being able to get up. Add to that multiple injuries, fatigue, bloodloss and poison and the only thing saving you would be writer's decision.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
IllumInaTIma said:
I don't think Oberyn tried to get on the top of The Mountain, but rather the Mountain lifted Oberyn above himself to punch him. It's still freaking bullshit though.
Ah yeah you're right, it was a split second and I didn't see The Mountain's arm, I still think Oberyn could of got away or resisted a little bit more though or could of kept his distance.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
DerangedHobo said:
IllumInaTIma said:
Ah yeah you're right, it was a split second and I didn't see The Mountain's arm, I still think Oberyn could of got away or resisted a little bit more though or could of kept his distance.
Oh man, totally. And he could've easily blocked that direct hit as Mountain didn't hold Oberyn's hands.