Mass Effect: Andromeda Revealed - Update

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Well... I was right about the name.
I was hoping to be wrong... It's a bit unimagitive name.

BUT... It's more Mass Effect. I almost punched my desk in exciment (It's kinda weird I know), but I am at work and this desk doesn't belong to me.

Now, I got to pick which of my Shepards I import my save (Despite the fact it will probably only give nice a few nice bonus dialogue and emails for the protagonist depending in which color ending you did) off... It's more dificult than picking my first pokemon in the first gen... I like all my Shepards.

EDIT: Didn't liked the trailer... Mostly didn't liked the choice of music, I mean, I liked the SONG. It just didn't feel very much Mass Effect-y. And was all CG, like I was expecting... Once again I expected to be wrong and be shown a bit more than that...

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
They already said Shepard's story is done.
Yeah, but they also said to hold on to my saves. I think what will happen it's maybe will unlock a few extras bits and pieces here and there (Weapons skins, armor parts and such...). Maybe throw a few lines of dialogue that somewhat reflect Shepards choices in ME without intefering with the plot of Andromeda, and those mails you get (If they are back) may give some information as well. I don't expect Shepard show up and take up the place of the new protagonist whoever he\she may be. Just a few nods depending on your choices... Like DA and the Warden.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Is this supposed to be funny? I mean, I wouldn't mind playing a mercenary crew in the ME universe. Steal cargo, map out new areas, get drunk. A less serious take on the franchise could be fun. The N7 mark suggests otherwise, though. The music was a weird fit, a poor choice if they were going for a serious/epic feel. Good if they're going for more of a Guardians of the Galaxy/Firefly angle.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You'd think that Bioware would have figured out how to make helmets that don't look awful after three games, but nope.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
The music and the trailer in general made me feel it could be a "exploring new frontiers" kinda game, which could be nice. Gameworld akin to ME1 with focused combat of 2/3 sounds good to me. Also vertical movement? Please let that be a thing in the game. I always find it grating when my exploration is halted by a two feet tall fence.
Aaaand that's about it. I could do without being another N7, but I guess they need some explanation why the PC is kicking everyone's asses.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
You'd think that Bioware would have figured out how to make helmets that don't look awful after three games, but nope.
...I like the N7 helmet design in 2 and 3, so, yeah, subjectivity FTW! I like this one, too, from what I've seen.

I think it's a great little teaser, and whilst I doubt they'll go hard on the Western-in-space, classic Star Wars/Firefly/Guardians vibe, I'd really like it if they did - partially because it'd also distinguish it from the first trilogy.

It's funny to see jump boosts/packs being the in-thing in gaming, though. 40K Assault Marines? We salute you...

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
They already said Shepard's story is done.
Yeah, but they also said to hold on to my saves. I think what will happen it's maybe will unlock a few extras bits and pieces here and there (Weapons skins, armor parts and such...). Maybe throw a few lines of dialogue that somewhat reflect Shepards choices in ME without intefering with the plot of Andromeda, and those mails you get (If they are back) may give some information as well. I don't expect Shepard show up and take up the place of the new protagonist whoever he\she may be. Just a few nods depending on your choices... Like DA and the Warden.
oh, i know, i was talking about how in the article, the author said "Will Commander Shepard return in Andromeda or are you expecting an entirely new character (perhaps played by Kevin Sorbo)?"

it was ill-informed.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
There's a Bioware Blog post here [http://blog.bioware.com/2015/06/15/introducing-mass-effect-andromeda/] on the subject.

"...Taking place far away from, and long after, the events of the original trilogy." So they're distancing themselves from ME3's ending (not surprising) which also gives them some wriggle-room on how to work around the final choice. It heavily supports the idea that Shepard is out of the picture, too.

Also, apparently the N7 person seen in the trailer isn't the game's protagonist? Odd.

I actually like the sound of all this. Putting some distance away from ME3's ending, but not writing it out of the canon entirely, feels like the best way to handle it. I look forward to hearing more.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I thought the ME3 ending effected every single galaxy\universe? Didn't the Reapers travel basically everywhere to wipe out\harvest all advanced life forms? If so, why would Andromeda be unaffected?

Ughh.. so many questions.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
VincentX3 said:
I thought the ME3 ending effected every single galaxy\universe? Didn't the Reapers travel basically everywhere to wipe out\harvest all advanced life forms? If so, why would Andromeda be unaffected?

The Reapers seem to have only been focused on the Milky Way, for whatever reason. Possibly controlling the entire universe was just beyond them. In any case, as far as we know then the Mass Relay network was restricted to our galaxy, so the final choice wouldn't have reached Andromeda.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
VincentX3 said:

Probably a retcon or "The Reapers were created here, so they don't go back" type of bull. I'm not expecting much considering their last three games have had underwhelming stories for me.

Who knows, maybe we're playing as Vega now, it sorta looked bulky enough to hold him and his story arc was essentially about becoming the next generation's Shepard.

Sorta boring though that it looks like they're just going to go "lol, don't worry about the Local system with the millions of new inhabitants becasue the Relays are borked" when they could've had a much smaller series set in that area of the galaxy about the others making Jupiter or Neptune habitable and having backlash from the radical elements of Terra Firma. probably too much to ask though considering this is Bioware.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Redryhno said:
VincentX3 said:

Probably a retcon or "The Reapers were created here, so they don't go back" type of bull. I'm not expecting much considering their last three games have had underwhelming stories for me.

Who knows, maybe we're playing as Vega now, it sorta looked bulky enough to hold him and his story arc was essentially about becoming the next generation's Shepard.

Sorta boring though that it looks like they're just going to go "lol, don't worry about the Local system with the millions of new inhabitants becasue the Relays are borked" when they could've had a much smaller series set in that area of the galaxy about the others making Jupiter or Neptune habitable and having backlash from the radical elements of Terra Firma. probably too much to ask though considering this is Bioware.
Ugh if it's Vega I don't know if I could stomach playing. I just didn't like that guy and his stupid nickname for my Shepard and... well most everything about the next dull soldier I ignored for my alien buddies.

I have high hopes it is not him since that would lock gender and class.

Not that I can look at the trailer from work on my phone to know if I should be disappointed anyways yet...

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Secondhand Revenant said:
Redryhno said:
VincentX3 said:

Ugh if it's Vega I don't know if I could stomach playing. I just didn't like that guy and his stupid nickname for my Shepard and... well most everything about the next dull soldier I ignored for my alien buddies.

Not that I can look at the trailer from work on my phone to know if I should be disappointed anyways yet...
You're really not missing much, apparently the Illusive Man's room is a tiny Relay or something and there's alot of shooting and N7'ery.

Also, how can you not like Vega? He's voiced by Freddie Prinze jr.! C'mon, how can you hate that guy? Beyond him being added at the last second, that is. At least he had a discernable arc, most of your other buddies had their arcs in the last two games and were half-thought out and then dropped by the time you get to Tuchanka...

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Redryhno said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Redryhno said:
VincentX3 said:

You're really not missing much, apparently the Illusive Man's room is a tiny Relay or something and there's alot of shooting and N7'ery.

Also, how can you not like Vega? He's voiced by Freddie Prinze jr.! C'mon, how can you hate that guy? Beyond him being added at the last second, that is. At least he had a discernable arc, most of your other buddies had their arcs in the last two games and were half-thought out and then dropped by the time you get to Tuchanka...
I dunno what it is about that, but the idea of the Illusive Man's room being a tiny relay makes me want to laugh very very hard. Citadel relay in the first game is one thing and neat the first time but the Illusive Man hiding one in his room... XD

Poor Liara especially did seem to suffer for a lack of things to have going on until being upset at Thessia and after two games of being the rogue cop wanting to be a vigilante Garrus had that pretty settled. Tali seemed to have the most actually going on. I think Mordin got a good arc despite not being playable. I suppose Vega did get a discernable arc at least, I just didn't care because I didn't like the guy... I rank him 4th least liked on top of Jacob (crime:blandest outside of outright annoying), Ashley (ME 3 confirmed my dislike for her), and Kaidan (Carth Onasi)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I feel like vomiting to be honest. Who the fuck abandons the entire established universe to set the next game in a completely different freakin' galaxy? Oh, right. The guys that fucked up so badly they didn't know how to get out of the mess they've made.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Fox12 said:
Is this supposed to be funny? I mean, I wouldn't mind playing a mercenary crew in the ME universe. Steal cargo, map out new areas, get drunk. A less serious take on the franchise could be fun. The N7 mark suggests otherwise, though. The music was a weird fit, a poor choice if they were going for a serious/epic feel. Good if they're going for more of a Guardians of the Galaxy/Firefly angle.
With the recent space-sim revolution, somebody oughta make a good Freelancer-TPS ActionRPG hybrid.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
The_Darkness said:
VincentX3 said:

The Reapers seem to have only been focused on the Milky Way, for whatever reason. Possibly controlling the entire universe was just beyond them. In any case, as far as we know then the Mass Relay network was restricted to our galaxy, so the final choice wouldn't have reached Andromeda.
It's really sad that they went from Mass Effect's 1 "We are to powerful and advanced for you to comprehend" to.. this? Seriously, they could get into dark space (Or whatever it was called, the edge of the universe basically) easy enough yet now they cant/didn't go to Andromeda?

:'l

Redryhno said:
VincentX3 said:

It makes even less sense now, since the trailer clearly shows human/other races in Andromeda, that should have been reason enough for the Reapers to go and do their thing. Yet saying that "We were made(?) in the milkyway, so we dont bother with anything else" when they WERE supposed to be all-powerful and whatnot is just... bad writing and sad :l

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I wish that reveal of the name still filled me with glee. I wish the familiar calming music that played at the end stirred emotions of galactic adventure. I wish the sight of N7 armor made me sequel.

But it doesn't. It just...yes, okay. I'll admit it. I'm still burned by Mass Effect 3's ending. I know it's been years, and I know a lot of people think I should be over it, and I am. But that ending just sucked so much of my love and excitement for the franchise right out of me. The name, music, and sights now no longer stir feelings of joy, but feelings of disappointment.
Maybe they'll prove me wrong. Maybe this game will blow me away all over again. Maybe Liara will show up with my kid. Maybe. But it's so hard for me to be excited about it like I should be.

Also, that version of 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' is way too slow.