Mass Effect: Andromeda Revealed - Update

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MetalMagpie said:
Already confirmed just human, unfortunately.
Yeah the update they posted was kinda disappointing. Hoped to play as a Turian or Asari.
Zhukov said:
Adam Jensen said:
I feel like vomiting to be honest. Who the fuck abandons the entire established universe to set the next game in a completely different freakin' galaxy? Oh, right. The guys that fucked up so badly they didn't know how to get out of the mess they've made.
What exactly did you want them to do?

There was no writing themselves out of that ending. You know it. I know it. They know it. Don't tell me you were expecting them to pull some brilliant authorial Houdini move to make it all better.

They could either:
a) Abandon the series (an idea which has its merits, much as I hate to say it).
b) Try to continue it with a traditional sequel. (Guaranteed disaster. Period.)
c) Hard reboot. (Might as well make a new series then.)
d) Soft reboot. (What we seem to be getting. "A bajillion years later and a long way away...")

I'd say the current outcome is about as good as we could have hoped for. Of course the game may end up sucking jut on its own merits, but that remains to be ohhhhhhh jetpack!
My idea is that during the events of Mass Effect 3, the Council enacts a sort of Continuity of Civilization. An experimental ship is loaded up with members of all the major races, and sends them off to Andromeda using the Citadel's Mass Relay. This would allow them to circumvent the issue of a canon ending.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Everyone is so angry.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a prequel of sorts. Has to be.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Redryhno said:
elvor0 said:
Redryhno said:
VincentX3 said:
I thought the ME3 ending effected every single galaxy\universe? Didn't the Reapers travel basically everywhere to wipe out\harvest all advanced life forms? If so, why would Andromeda be unaffected?

Ughh.. so many questions.
Probably a retcon or "The Reapers were created here, so they don't go back" type of bull. I'm not expecting much considering their last three games have had underwhelming stories for me.
They only ever mention the galaxy in all of the Mass Effect games. They never made any statements about the rest of the universe in the ME game. Given the final choice was spread through the Mass Relay network and The Reapers worked around that network, it's neither a retcon nor a hand wave.
Considering they also said that it's impossible to move between the systems instantly and that only the Omega relay led somewhere they didn't know and the trailer having questionable travel systems...there's alot of explaining they're going to have to do because they've retconed and ignored the rules they set in the first and second games about alot of things.

I'm just really pissed at the moment because they're dropping all the implications of the Milky Way not being able to travel between systems efficiently anymore and what that means to go play magical ancient evil to defeat again. THey're just going to a new place because the old one doesn't matter anymore.
Well we're not there yet and we don't know. Other than it IS set in another galaxy, we don't know how we got there, what has happened in between ME 3 and ME 4, it could be hundreds of years.

"Impossible to move between the systems instantly". Instantly, but not at all. Moreso, maybe they've discovered new technology? Maybe they had colonies of races sent off in arks in case the reapers did wipe out the galaxy. Maybe the blue ending is canon and the reapers were sent off to explore and build new relays outside the galaxy?

Lets save the bellyaching until we know the explaination, eh?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Oh man, if there was ever a shit, information-free trailer... this is it.

Oh boy, western tune (or is it country?) for new frontiers, yeah I get it!
How placative can one get. Embarrasing.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
So far in the future, in an other galaxy but with the same tech and weapons. Sounds like a fan fiction story.

I would like to point out that the last game whose setting was on par with the average fan fiction story was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Eh, Bioware would need a real life time machine to get out of the mess they wrote themselves in, not "We iz going to Andromeda!" (Which is a pretty dull name, by the way. My favorite of all the ones I've seen suggested still remains "Mass Effect: Plan 4 From Outer Space".) To be honest, I'm tempted to make a video of myself spending the cost of that game on something else on the day of its release and posting it on Youtube as a fan review.

Good tune, though, I love me some Johnny Cash. I guess they were going for a Firefly vibe.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
You have to play as a human again!? Lame, less interested in this now, and I wasn't interested much to begin with.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Now that I think about it, a few of you posters finally made it click why the supposed original plot of I think it was Dark Matter is destroying the galaxy? It was dark something is destroying something, it's been a while, anyway, if the reapers are only harvesting the Milky Way, presumably the other galaxies are also using Dark Matter, the Reaper's solution would be short lived, or just plain inoperable.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Its only a teaser so I can't rightly say if this will be a better entry than ME3 (which personally I still love to death, despite the flaws). However the framing of the trailer and the music choice lead me to believe there's a more Wild West type aspect to this game, my extrapolation from using "Ghost Riders in the Sky" by the late great Johnny Cash. Beautiful use of music to set a mood. I hope that this is how they frame it, some form of a rogue team in a galaxy still healing from the destruction/integration/whatever of the Reapers and a shitton of lawlessness and general crazy shit.
I actually enjoyed the more action oriented gameplay in ME2/ME3 but feel if they expanded on it a little it would be even better. I don't have high expectations for this, I'm not 100% hyped but I'm also not disappointed. I'll reserve any solid judgments until I see actual gameplay footage.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zhukov said:
Adam Jensen said:
I feel like vomiting to be honest. Who the fuck abandons the entire established universe to set the next game in a completely different freakin' galaxy? Oh, right. The guys that fucked up so badly they didn't know how to get out of the mess they've made.
What exactly did you want them to do?

There was no writing themselves out of that ending. You know it. I know it. They know it. Don't tell me you were expecting them to pull some brilliant authorial Houdini move to make it all better.

They could either:
a) Abandon the series (an idea which has its merits, much as I hate to say it).
b) Try to continue it with a traditional sequel. (Guaranteed disaster. Period.)
c) Hard reboot. (Might as well make a new series then.)
d) Soft reboot. (What we seem to be getting. "A bajillion years later and a long way away...")

I'd say the current outcome is about as good as we could have hoped for. Of course the game may end up sucking jut on its own merits, but that remains to be ohhhhhhh jetpack!
Or you know, a prequel. For example a game set between Mass Effect 1 and 2 when Shepard was considered dead. They could make a thousand games set in a period of 2-3 years before or during Mass Effect 1 or 2 if they wanted to. It's an enormous galaxy and we've only seen a small fraction of it. I wanted more of that universe. Not a fuckin' new one that abandons everything.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
The name pretty much sold me. I think it's great they're leaving the Milky Way behind. Has there ever been a game set in Andromeda before?

murrow

Sep 3, 2014
As a huge fan of ME, and as someone who actually liked ME3's ending, I should be thrilled. But, for some reason, I'm not.

Here's what I got from the trailer:

- Technology, armor and weapon design that hardly changed in what I presume is a pretty long time. Which means that either they got lazy with the visual identity or that it's all a bunch of placeholders.

- Vehicle segments, the single most infuriating part of the franchise is back and in full force

- The "theme" of the game, for lack of a better word, is that of frontier and exploration. Part of me knows that this is in itself a pretty neat concept. But another part of me remembers DA:I and wonders if they will follow its steps and make Mass Effect's historically bloated exploration segments even more bloated.

I don't know. I think my feelings of closure with the original trilogy, my disappointment with DA:I and the absence of key talent (starting with Casey Hudson) are putting a bad taste in my mouth. Or maybe I'm just getting old and bitter.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
In the original trilogy's lore, it's stated that travelling to the Andromeda galaxy would still take a ridiculously long time because you couldn't use the Mass Relays.

Couple that with their statements of the game taking place "long after the originals" and you get the safe assumption that whatever Ark they sent to Andromeda has been underway for hundreds if not thousands of years with its inhabitants and technology likely in some sort of stasis.

So a new adventure in a new galaxy with no possibility of turning back.

Sign me on. Especially because I'm not one of the people who can't possibly get over themselves as far as Mass Effect goes. All three games were great in their own way.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I like the story concept, but one thing worries me. They look like they're forcing an open world into a game that doesn't need it, just like they did Dragon Age. I enjoy Mass Effect more than Dragon Age, but I'm going to withhold buying this until I hear how the open world turns out.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I hope they pull in a lot of lessons learned from the ME3 Multi-player. They created some great new skills, power combinations, and Species handling mechanics. They even made the Volus was a lot of fun to play.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
A.K.A., the game that's less important to EA than the Minions mobile game.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
elvor0 said:
Well we're not there yet and we don't know. Other than it IS set in another galaxy, we don't know how we got there, what has happened in between ME 3 and ME 4, it could be hundreds of years.

"Impossible to move between the systems instantly". Instantly, but not at all. Moreso, maybe they've discovered new technology? Maybe they had colonies of races sent off in arks in case the reapers did wipe out the galaxy. Maybe the blue ending is canon and the reapers were sent off to explore and build new relays outside the galaxy?

Lets save the bellyaching until we know the explaination, eh?
Problem there though, considering it's only been the Protheans that developed anything CLOSE to the Relays after quite a long time when the Reapers thought they were all dead. And you'd think something like that would've been mentioned in ME3 considering people were looking for literally anything to combat the Reapers.

And hundreds of years? I'm sorry, but that doesn't inspire confidence for a load of reasons I've already outlined in other posts, the least of which is the feeling that this soft reboot-thing is incredibly dull and reeks of "we needed a new setting, but couldn't drop the franchise, so here you are in Andromeda!"

There's alot of things I don't care for with the implications of this trailer, the least of them being that apparently none of our choices mattered. Again.

Fdzzaigl said:
In the original trilogy's lore, it's stated that travelling to the Andromeda galaxy would still take a ridiculously long time because you couldn't use the Mass Relays.

Couple that with their statements of the game taking place "long after the originals" and you get the safe assumption that whatever Ark they sent to Andromeda has been underway for hundreds if not thousands of years with its inhabitants and technology likely in some sort of stasis.

So a new adventure in a new galaxy with no possibility of turning back.

Sign me on. Especially because I'm not one of the people who can't possibly get over themselves as far as Mass Effect goes. All three games were great in their own way.
Ok...when did this Ark thing become canon...

And I honestly have to say that people seem strangely fine with abandoning the already established world for a new one doesn't sit right with me. There's a wealth of lore still there if they bothered to keep it in the local system, or even if they decided that people figured out how to travel between systems somewhat quickly but not galaxies in the years since the Reaper stuff. But that would probably involve too much work and not enough "original" writing for them...