15 year old girl kills herself after persistent bullying

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
My condolonces to the family, RIP.

But you know what pisses me off is that I can probably guarantee that those same people that bullied her are now inevitably saying shit like "Oh, it's so sad" and all that bullshit, when it was partly their fault.
And will probably never recognize or admit that they had a hand in her death.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Again, I get the gut feeling you lived an existence where you didn't have to go through shit like extreme bullying. I'm happy that you had an average, or even above average childhood, but shit like this IS an actual problem and just because it isn't a problem that effects us on the same scale, doesn't mean we should ignore it.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't manipulate my post in your quotations. But, regardless, yes, I have experienced bullying. My nose has been broken twice outside of my family disputes. Yes, I have experienced bullying. My experiences have been completely average, as far as I can assume. But please, don't quote my posts and specifically modify them to appear as mean as possible like you did previously, it is childish.

Use_Imagination_here said:
Caverat said:
The decision for someone to take their own life is one that the individual making it is 100 percent responsible for. Yes the bullies are dicks, are they responsible for her death? No, she is. She decided to kill herself. People get bullied all the time, and the ones tormenting them are assholes. The few that decide to off themselves are not victims of anything that countless thousands of other people haven't dealt with and gotten past.

I have sympathy for her family, they are now dealing with the loss of a loved one, and are searching for someone to blame. Sucks that the person that deserves the blame is dead.

For the girl, I have nothing but scorn. Women are having their hands cut off and their babies smashed on the ground before them in the Congo, yet many still make the struggle to survive after such horrors. Having people make fun of you and pass nude pictures of you around (Pictures you willingly took yourself and sent to someone in the first place) is so many layers thick of 'first world problem' that it is pathetic that she took her own life. Pathetic and selfish.

I can/will never have sympathy for any teenager who takes their own life because they are unhappy. Fuck off with that shit, there are people in this world that have actual problems. Now, if only the media would stop giving stories like this attention they don't deserve and at least make an effort to raise awareness about the bad shit that actually fucking matters.
"Someone else has it worse" is not a valid argument almost any of the time it is used.
Yes someone else has it worse. Someone else always has it worse. In fact if you believe in the multiverse theory an infite amount of people are suffering endless torment at any given time. Even if you dont, the sheer size of the universe guarantees millions of such scenarios. Even if you ignore that there are always at least a few people right here on planet earth who are going through something worse than you are.

That does not mean that your suffering is irrelevant. This girl didn't deserve to feel worthless and hopeless enough to kill herself. The people who bullied her had no right to bully her. Her problems were real regardless of the amount of people who had it worse elsewhere. Asking whether or not it was her fault is useless, and at least with me would lead to an argument about the fundamental nature of blame pretty quickly. The point is she should have been helped, and there should be a system in place to prevent this from happening.

I can guess that you have not personally experienced this sort of abuse. This is good, but if for nothing else than just on general principle I heartily recommend you show some respect, and think twice before talking about such a sensitive subject. You claim to show sympathy for the family of the girl, and yet, how do you think the family of the girl would respond to your comment?
My cousin killed himself, so I can speak as to what happens to a family post suicide. I have been bullied, sexually/physically, and emotionally. I am showing plenty of respect by recognizing that this particular girl, Amanda Todd, is an example of an incredibly selfish person. Her problems needed to be more significant then the problems of others, hence with the attention whoring of her suicide. People who kill themselves are among the most selfish people you can ever meet. People who fail to recognize that any personal problem of a citizen of a first world nation are less significant than anything else happening anywhere else in the world are not helping the discussion. There are places in this world where people experience actual problems, folks not being the most popular person in highschool are not amoung them.

Amanda Todd was a selfish whore, and like every other person like her, hurting themselves to be the center of attention.

May 29, 2011
Caverat said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Again, I get the gut feeling you lived an existence where you didn't have to go through shit like extreme bullying. I'm happy that you had an average, or even above average childhood, but shit like this IS an actual problem and just because it isn't a problem that effects us on the same scale, doesn't mean we should ignore it.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't manipulate my post in your quotations. But, regardless, yes, I have experienced bullying. My nose has been broken twice outside of my family disputes. Yes, I have experienced bullying. My experiences have been completely average, as far as I can assume. But please, don't quote my posts and specifically modify them to appear as mean as possible like you did previously, it is childish.

Use_Imagination_here said:
Caverat said:
The decision for someone to take their own life is one that the individual making it is 100 percent responsible for. Yes the bullies are dicks, are they responsible for her death? No, she is. She decided to kill herself. People get bullied all the time, and the ones tormenting them are assholes. The few that decide to off themselves are not victims of anything that countless thousands of other people haven't dealt with and gotten past.

I have sympathy for her family, they are now dealing with the loss of a loved one, and are searching for someone to blame. Sucks that the person that deserves the blame is dead.

For the girl, I have nothing but scorn. Women are having their hands cut off and their babies smashed on the ground before them in the Congo, yet many still make the struggle to survive after such horrors. Having people make fun of you and pass nude pictures of you around (Pictures you willingly took yourself and sent to someone in the first place) is so many layers thick of 'first world problem' that it is pathetic that she took her own life. Pathetic and selfish.

I can/will never have sympathy for any teenager who takes their own life because they are unhappy. Fuck off with that shit, there are people in this world that have actual problems. Now, if only the media would stop giving stories like this attention they don't deserve and at least make an effort to raise awareness about the bad shit that actually fucking matters.
"Someone else has it worse" is not a valid argument almost any of the time it is used.
Yes someone else has it worse. Someone else always has it worse. In fact if you believe in the multiverse theory an infite amount of people are suffering endless torment at any given time. Even if you dont, the sheer size of the universe guarantees millions of such scenarios. Even if you ignore that there are always at least a few people right here on planet earth who are going through something worse than you are.

That does not mean that your suffering is irrelevant. This girl didn't deserve to feel worthless and hopeless enough to kill herself. The people who bullied her had no right to bully her. Her problems were real regardless of the amount of people who had it worse elsewhere. Asking whether or not it was her fault is useless, and at least with me would lead to an argument about the fundamental nature of blame pretty quickly. The point is she should have been helped, and there should be a system in place to prevent this from happening.

I can guess that you have not personally experienced this sort of abuse. This is good, but if for nothing else than just on general principle I heartily recommend you show some respect, and think twice before talking about such a sensitive subject. You claim to show sympathy for the family of the girl, and yet, how do you think the family of the girl would respond to your comment?
My cousin killed himself, so I can speak as to what happens to a family post suicide. I have been bullied, sexually/physically, and emotionally. I am showing plenty of respect by recognizing that this particular girl, Amanda Todd, is an example of an incredibly selfish person. Her problems needed to be more significant then the problems of others, hence with the attention whoring of her suicide. People who kill themselves are among the most selfish people you can ever meet. People who fail to recognize that any personal problem of a citizen of a first world nation are less significant than anything else happening anywhere else in the world are not helping the discussion. There are places in this world where people experience actual problems, folks not being the most popular person in highschool are not amoung them.

Amanda Todd was a selfish whore, and like every other person like her, hurting themselves to be the center of attention.
...You're showing respect by calling her a selfish whore?

Yes that does seem to be very respectful, I apologize for my comment.

She wasn't hurting herself for attention, she was hurting herself because she wanted to die.

And nice job on never actually addressing my argument. This girl had suicidal depression and severe anxiety disorder, do those not count as actual problems to you? Regardless of the circumstances, wanting to die is ALWAYS a valid problem.

And attention whoring? If the fact that your cousin killed themself is actually true, that you would describe something so horrible as attention whoring is both seriously disturbing and disgusting. So anyone who is suffering doesn't deserve any sympathy because children in africa don't have enough to eat? If you honestly believe that, don't even bother to reply, I can't really argue a moral issue with someone who has an absurdly twisted sense of morality.

Say I broke my foot. If on the next street, there was a man who broke both his feet and an arm, would my problem cease to be relevant? Would the ambulance only go over to him, and when he finally healed all his injuries, MAYBE consider picking me up?

I'm only going to say this once, and if you disagree with me, just don't reply cos there's really no point: Wanting to die is an actual problem. People who are suicidal deserve help, regardless of the reasons.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
SlamDunc said:
carlsberg export said:
In Search of Username said:
chadachada123 said:
White Lightning said:
I don't want to be "that guy" but according to the article she was posting explicit videos and photos of herself online and got upset when some guy shared them with "everyone". Something tells me alot this could of been avoided if she wasn't an attention whore and kept her clothes on.
What I don't understand is how this could be an issue in an age when literally (and I do mean literally) at LEAST 30% of girls in high school have shared something nude or highly sexual with someone else.

Seriously.

I hardly know a single girl in real life from high school personally that didn't share nude pics at some point before graduation, and most of them were at some point at least viewed by someone other than the intended recipient, but never did my high school have bullying problems related to it other than ONE single case by a bunch of jock assholes and a girl that dated one of them.

Shit, I don't know what age my own damn sister was, but she's shared nude pics with her now-ex boyfriend and understood that he'd probably end up showing some of his friends (who, sadly, include most of my friends).

The case here seems a bit of an anomaly, since a huge minority (possibly a majority) of girls under 18 now have done the exact same thing without massive bullying.
Your high school sounds insane. Pretty sure it's not like that everywhere. :p
was like that in my school days, and is the same in everyday life. people LOVE dirty gossip
I am in high school and I know one guy that claims to have slept with a bunch of girls and has some naked pictures of them on his computer. Maybe he got them from their ex BFs but I dont really know. And I am in a pretty well off Canadian Catholic School.
well i hope that guy shows some respect and keeps them to himself, or better yet delete them.
sadly there is a lot of drama and kiss and tells at that age. i never understood it myself, i knew people that would sleep together then scamper off to their mates and blab about every little detail.
actually i do understand, its because they were children.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Caverat said:
My cousin killed himself, so I can speak as to what happens to a family post suicide. I have been bullied, sexually/physically, and emotionally.
Hating on a person that killed himself because your life got harder as a result of their suicide?

Nope. Not selfish at all.

I mean, condolences, yes, the aftermath must have sucked for you, but you're forgetting that your cousin didn't owe it to any of you to live if he didn't want to. His life, his decision.

Suicide is not the most selfish thing one can do. Guilt tripping another person into not killing themselves is that most selfish thing, because it's basically analogous to some kind of slavery. Someone doesn't want to live, but they have to, for your sake, because you want it. What are they to you if not a slave?

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
A big *shrug* from me. Girl died, that's sad, but was it preventable? Is there anything we can do to "make sure this never happens again", as some people are enthusiastically calling for?

I don't think there's anything we can do, really. Whatever social progress we make, however many CCTV cameras we install in school changing rooms, and however Utopic our comfortable first-world lives become - people will find things to ***** about, reasons to pick on others, reasons to get upset, and reasons to commit suicide.

It's a shame this girl a) didn't exercise a bit of caution and b) didn't have the support network she needed. But I don't think we can claim this is some kind of indictment on the failings of society - cases like hers are notable in part due to their uncommonness, after all.

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
matthew_lane said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Andy Shandy said:

But you know what pisses me off is that I can probably guarantee that those same people that bullied her are now inevitably saying shit like "Oh, it's so sad" and all that bullshit, when it was partly their fault.
They didn't have a hand in her death... She killed herself, so the only person who had a hand in her death is her.
They bullied her to the point that killing herself was a viable option.

How exactly, are they not at least partially responsible for her death?

Without them bullying her, she might not have had sufficient motivation to commit suicide.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
matthew_lane said:
She had many options open to her, she chose not to take them.
It's almost as if she was mentally ill or something.

I doubt there was anything that could have been done about this. Everyone struggles with that kind of thing, nevermind teenagers who have got everything else exploding in them as well. It's a shame it happened, always is and will be, but hopefully the family and people involved will learn something from it and move on in time.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
matthew_lane said:
Well, if I was the only person in the world with free will and any kind of ability to make my own choices, you bet I'd kill myself too.

TheDoctor455

Apr 1, 2009
matthew_lane said:
TheDoctor455 said:
matthew_lane said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Andy Shandy said:

They didn't have a hand in her death... She killed herself, so the only person who had a hand in her death is her.
They bullied her to the point that killing herself was a viable option.

How exactly, are they not at least partially responsible for her death?

Without them bullying her, she might not have had sufficient motivation to commit suicide.
Nope. no one is responsible for her death except her. There were many options open to her, but she never takes them & instead just runs away & then immediately restarts her stupid actions all over again.

You are disregarding the very distinct possibility that she didn't realize those options were THERE.

And yes, they are responsible for her death, her bullies gave her the motive. You seem to be completely disregarding the fact that if they hadn't talked to her, or, wonder of wonders, had been nicer to her, she might not have gotten the motivation to kill herself.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
late to the party I know, but I can't help but shake my head at the sheer level of jaded cynicism and embittered indifference. Everyone apparently is the expert on why she should've 'toughed it out' forgetting that she didn't suicide over night. she actually tried to tough it out, but slowly got worn down.

essentially, it seems like at least half the people on here are apologizing or defending the bully/bullies while tearing down amanda todd. it's...strange to see.