Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

3D Realms' George Broussard says that development of the long-delayed Duke Nukem Forever hit a key milestone at the end of last week.

Oh, Duke Nukem Forever. Is there any greater running joke in the history of videogames? I submit that there is not. However, there might be a visible light at the end of the (very, very long) tunnel: 3D Realms boss and Duke Nukem co-creator George Broussard announced via Twitter [http://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/statuses/1511574436] that the team had at last reached an important step on finally getting DNF out the door:

[blockquote]Closing out a milestone this week. 71 more tasks to do and we started with probably 800-900. Been a good push. Next one starts Monday.[/blockquote]

Well, if we go just by pure numbers, I guess this means that development on Duke Nukem Forever is about 85% complete. It's about time, too - Broussard's announcement isn't the only milestone that the long-delayed game will hit this month: On April 28th, it'll have been twelve years since Forever was initially announced. Back then, it was slated to use the Quake II engine. Really.

With this recent milestone and last month's announcement that Apogee would be searching for an actor to bring Duke to life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90468-The-Search-for-the-Real-Duke-Nukem], it's enough to make one think that the game might actually be coming out. Crazy talk, I know.

For all companies like Valve and Blizzard get criticized for taking eons to release games, they've got nothing on the true masters of "When It's Done (TM)." With such a tremendous development time, if Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa.

(ClanBase [http://clanbase.ggl.com/news.php?nid=317513])

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Given just how long it took them to get 730-830 tasks done, it should take them at least another two years to get this game anywhere near completion.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm.... by rights it should be the best game ever, on development time alone, some how I don't think it will be though.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
AHAHHAAHAH! if this game doesn't kick serious ass (don't even mention bubblegum) it'll be an even bigger joke

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Going by the numbers listed there, assuming they had 800 "tasks" to start off with, we're still going to have to wait the better part of a year for the game to be released if they're consistent in the amount of work they get done and if they're not lying.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if this game ever gets released. It gets 3D Realms more publicity as vapourware than it ever would as an actual game, because I think we all know it's either going to be staggeringly amazing or utter crap. My money's on the second one.

djmacbest

May 20, 2008
tasks 1-829: various textures. now it's sound effects for 830 (starting on monday) to 896.
897: weapons and balancing.
898: single- and multiplayer maps.
899: enemy AI.
900: game engine.

they still totally forgot about the box art, though, but that shouldn't delay the game any further than another month or two, once they're through with number 900.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I really, don't care, the game will either be amazing or bad. If its a bad game, I don't think 3D realms will get another 12 years to waste money. IE: no more 3D realms.

Chishandfips

Ecstatic Sausage Consumer
Aug 20, 2008
I think that however good the game turns out if/when it's released, there's going to be a bittersweet feeling. After all, we won't be able to have the 'it's never coming out' jokes any more.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
stinkychops said:
Somethingfake said:
"Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone"

Development starts?
Nope, the last programmer died of old age.
Duh-dum tush. I'll be here all weak.
i actually laughed at that. well done.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
chishandfips said:
I think that however good the game turns out if/when it's released, there's going to be a bittersweet feeling. After all, we won't be able to have the 'it's never coming out' jokes any more.
We can just save the 'it's never coming out' jokes for the DLC.

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
bodyklok said:
odBilal said:
Abedeus said:
Somethingfake said:
"Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone"

Development starts?
No, concept arts have finally passed.
No they agreed to make a videogame
No, someone has decided it might be cool if they make a new Duke game.
i think you first decide that your going to make a game and then decide that its going to be a duke nukem game
I WON [/thread]

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
CantFaketheFunk" post="7.107239.1777679 said:

Duke Nukem Forever does eventually come out, that thing better be the gaming equivalent of the freaking Mona Lisa./quote]

well, technically the first gaming Mona Lisa would be starcraft, this would be the second

Also, is it just me or is the chick in the background nude?