Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I just remember that Max Payne 2 had jokes relating to the 'when it's done' and that was what? 5 years ago?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
12 years. Wow. Way to set that bar, 3D Realms.

Duke Nukem: Eternity will be released 20 years after this one.

ideitbawx

Jan 4, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Given just how long it took them to get 730-830 tasks done, it should take them at least another two years to get this game anywhere near completion.
Anachronism said:
Going by the numbers listed there, assuming they had 800 "tasks" to start off with, we're still going to have to wait the better part of a year for the game to be released if they're consistent in the amount of work they get done and if they're not lying.
jeez, if they're just bringing in voice actors now, i'd say at least 2 years. just to sync everything properly (especially on a game rumored to be so expansive), it'll take a long time to perfect it--that is if they actually give a shit.

plus with how much the console race has adjusted how people play video games in the past decade, it'd be a ***** to have to convert to a reliable engine time and again. the quake ii engine? seriously? (thinks back to 1998) ... oh yeah ...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
If this game won't make me stay up 'till 6 in the morning after waiting so much for it then it's going to take a one way trip out the window.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Seriously, I don't see how they'll make money on it. Even if it's the best game ever made they can't possibly be profitable with a 12 year development time. How many games has Epic released in the last 12 years? 3D Realms makes no sense.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
How is 3D Realms still going? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you needed money to run a business and I also thought that in order to get that money you needed to actually do something.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
How is 3D Realms still going? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you needed money to run a business and I also thought that in order to get that money you needed to actually do something.
Selling lemonade?

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
This game WILL be a massive, massive failure, everybody will hate it, 3D Realms will be no more, and we get to be sarcastic bastards.

Chishandfips

Ecstatic Sausage Consumer
Aug 20, 2008
Tinq said:
chishandfips said:
I think that however good the game turns out if/when it's released, there's going to be a bittersweet feeling. After all, we won't be able to have the 'it's never coming out' jokes any more.
I beg to differ. Duke is a muscle-bound gym queen, hiding is homoerotic urges behind a mask of chauvenism. He's never coming out. It'd be bad for his image. Besides, the only game I've every played with male strippers was Leisure Suit Larry: MCL, and we all know how well that went over.
Touché, my friend. Touché.

Back on subject, I agree that however good Forever actually turns out to be, its doomed to fail simply under the weight of expectation or reviewers using the development time (which, let's be honest, is just stupid) to give it 2/10.

On second thoughts, that score might actually be a little optimistic...

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
I look forward to the day that I get my copy. All I ask of it is this:

- it has Duke Nukem in it, and
- it has an updated version of the theme song.

I think they can pull it off. : D

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Somethingfake said:
"Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone"

Development starts?
i HAVE to post this

http://duke.a-13.net/

Aside from Wolfenstein 3D, every single First Person Shooter based during World War II, including the entire Medal of Honor series.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
There is more chance of John Major deciding to come round my house for dinner after finding out I moved to the US, to discuss the finer points of having an affair with a member of the cabinet....than seeing this vapourware product hit the shelves in my lifetime.

The only milestone they hit was the number of flogs the dead horse received.

Will anyone besides the 30 somethings (I think I was barely 20 when DN 3D was being played at my friends house, I didn't like it, due to the migrane inducing graphics) that played the original or 3D know who the heck Duke Nukem is?

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
At this point, they really have no real choice but to release it. It's not like they have anything to lose.

I would really, really love to see a developer blog outlining the extended timeline of this project. Whether or not the game delivers, it'll be an interesting read.

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
Let's hope it's not an uninspired run&gun-shooter with 9468 levels, all looking the same.
They better have some innovations in that game...

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
wow thanks for posting that link, thats really interesting lol

but yeah in the Comedian's nfamous words, "It's all a joke..."

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
ratix2 said:
Somethingfake said:
"Duke Nukem Forever Hits Major Milestone"

Development starts?
i HAVE to post this

http://duke.a-13.net/

Aside from Wolfenstein 3D, every single First Person Shooter based during World War II, including the entire Medal of Honor series.
wow thanks for posting that link, thats really interesting lol

but yeah in the Comedian's infamous words, "It's all a joke..."