The New PSP Is Go! This Fall?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The New PSP Is Go! This Fall?

The oft-rumored new PlayStation Portable has a name and a release window, according to a report by 1UP.com.

Everyone seems to have a "secret source" for rumors about Sony's new PSP these days, but at least all the speculation is getting a bit more specific. 1UP.com's recent report [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173959], full of information gathered from "sources directly involved with the new system," is the most detailed set of rumors yet, revealing the potential name of the system, the nature of the hardware, and a possible launch window.

Now, "PSP2" would seem like a logical choice for a name, but Sony apparently seems to think that numbers are totally for squares. Instead of PSP2, 1UP ventures that Sony will be opting for the more spunky PSP Go!, though they say PSP Slide and PSP Flip were also tossed around.

"Slide" would certainly fit, because, as has been rumored before, the machine will have a screen that slides up to reveal buttons, a d-pad and an analog nub (or maybe a control panel that slides down, but you get the idea). There will not, according to 1UP's sources, be a second analog nub. No word of a touch screen, either.

As for the most popular rumor about the new PSP - that it won't have UMD and be totally digital distribution-oriented - 1UP's sources said that the system will come in two SKUs, with eight or 16 GB of internal flash memory and no, no UMD. For games, Sony is planning on having over 100 old and new PSP games available for download at launch, with Gran Turismo Mobile rumored as a launch title.

Sony will be announcing the system at E3 in June. It's planned for a September release in Japan and an October or November launch in the U.S. That's, of course, according to rumors.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
So wait if i'm reading this right it's going to operate entierly on downloads. Mabey i'm just old but I never get games or DLC through downloads.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
People its still a rumour, and meh the DS and iPhone are too powerful atm.

Sony should really stick to managing their grill....... i mean console

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Ranooth said:
People its still a rumour, and meh the DS and iPhone are too powerful atm.

Let the falme war BEGIN!

OT: The first one was a fail... Cept MonsterHunters with Xlink Kai... But no one knows what that is.

METC

Mar 21, 2009
Ranooth said:
I could use a Bacon and Killzone Burger right about now.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I will be grateful when E3 comes around and finally sheds some light on all this. Frankly I have stated on more than one occasion on how this is a terrible idea for sony and how this is nothing more than some stupid rumor that refuses to die. The game lineup for 09-10 doesn't help this rumor either with the 80 billion games coming out on Sony's consoles. I will be the first to laugh when it's shown it was all a hoax. Cmon E3 come sooner!!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Good thing I held off on replacing my current PSP two weeks ago, when I thought that it had died. But it just needed to rest for 24 hours and regenerate it inner workings. Because the PSP has a regenerating health system.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
To me it seems like Sony are just ripping ideas off the big N... again... DSi comes out and oh, look, Sony announce a "new" Psp, and look it has a camera!, with the possibility of a touch screen and a second camera...

Looks to me like it's a rip off of the DSi with a dodgey analogue nub type thing and mainstream games...

Do I sense a FAIL already?

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I laughed when I heard what they might be calling the unit.

In all honesty, I'm not really interested. I have a PSP and a DS Lite already, so I'm quite happy. I do wonder if Sony intends to market the PSP Go! as a successor to the current PSP and phase the old one out gradually, or just as another option.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
[Oh my, accidental double post. So this is what it feels like... How embarrassing...]

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
To be honest, I think it's a bad move. Encouraging people to download instead of buy hard copies is just going to make people who are wary of non physical purchases consider piracy instead. Why don't they make games on non-editable SD cards or something? It's compact enough

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
-Seraph- said:
I will be grateful when E3 comes around and finally sheds some light on all this. Frankly I have stated on more than one occasion on how this is a terrible idea for sony and how this is nothing more than some stupid rumor that refuses to die. The game lineup for 09-10 doesn't help this rumor either with the 80 billion games coming out on Sony's consoles. I will be the first to laugh when it's shown it was all a hoax. Cmon E3 come sooner!!
Exactly what I'm thinking

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
So, will they actually release any decent original games for it (besides Locoroco 3 that is :p) this time around?

I concur, I'm not at all keen on the idea of it being a download only system, I'd much rather pick up my games in a more tangible form.

Somehow, the Go! suffix gives me bad visions of them attempting to market this as some sort of wonderful all purpose device. A task at which it will likely fail at, due to its tragic misfortune of not being a phone.