Bungie: ODST Is Really The End of Halo 3

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Bungie: ODST Is Really The End of Halo 3

Though they said earlier this week that they'd be working on Halo 3 content for "probably" two more years, what Bungie really meant to say is that they were lying. Halo 3 ODST is definitively the end for Bungie and Halo 3.

"Halo 3 took two and a half years to make, and we're still working on it," Bungie producer Allen Murray said [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/966/966322p1.html] earlier this week at GDC 2009. "We'll probably be working on it for two more years."

When developers say things like that, even if it's not what they meant, we literal-minded gamers tend to take them their word for it. "Two more years" might have been hyperbole, a bit of exasperated "we've been working on this foreeeever" talk from Murray, but, for Halo fans who have heard time and time again that their favorite studio wouldn't be working on their favorite game after the release of Halo 3 ODST, it was a ray of hope.

False hope, apparently. "We'll never say never, but currently Bungie has no plans to make new Halo 3 content beyond the release of ODST," the studio told [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bungie-really-will-end-with-halo-3-odst] Eurogamer. "We will, however, continue to support the Halo 3 online experience with regular updates to matchmaking playlists and wield the Banhammer as needed." So, in terms of Bungie stuff, the new Mythic Map Pack will be the last map pack, and ODST will be the last game proper.

Bungie doesn't see the end of its involvement with the game as the end of the game's life, however. "With Forge and the Mythic map Sandbox we're already seeing the community stepping up to create some great new maps and gametypes that will offer more variety and longevity to the game down the road," the studio said. "The future of Halo 3 online will become more and more defined by the people who play it."

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Halo 3 might be over...But nothing stops Microsoft to make Bungie to develop Halo 4...or someother game in Halo universe till the end of time.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Ha! A cash cow like Halo! It'll likely never stop, in 20 years time they'll be like George Lucas and will come back to completely destroy the franchise that should have only been the first game.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Booze Zombie said:
Developers say stupid things about a forgetable game series, what's new?
I don't think Halo will be forgotten for a long time yet.

Droids_Rule

Mar 26, 2009
I like the sound of this. For all of the hate directed towards it, I did enjoy Halo 3's gameplay well enough and I'm quite interested in what Bungie churns out next. I'd rather them not sit around and continue to make content for Halo 3, but give us a new game!

keyper159

Dec 13, 2008
beddo said:
Ha! A cash cow like Halo! It'll likely never stop, in 20 years time they'll be like George Lucas and will come back to completely destroy the franchise that should have only been the first game.
IMO they already did that by trying to combine Halo 1 & 2 to make Halo 3.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Developers say stupid things about a forgetable game series, what's new?
Of all the ways you can bash halo, that one just doesn't work. Bigger and better FPS games have come along, and it's still more popular than any of them.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
vivaldiscool said:
Of all the ways you can bash halo, that one just doesn't work. Bigger and better FPS games have come along, and it's still more popular than any of them.
I didn't even know Halo existed until 3 came out, that's why I find it a forgettable and lack-luster experience.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
vivaldiscool said:
I didn't even know Halo existed until 3 came out, that's why I find it a forgettable and lack-luster experience.
Well then you're hardly representative of the larger gaming community.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Your logical fallacy is both amusing and baffling.

It leads me to believe you don't know what you've just said, what you've said is that you didn't care for a game because prior to it's release you had no knowledge of the series.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Booze Zombie said:
vivaldiscool said:
Well then you're hardly representative of the larger gaming community.
...or he is just trolling.

the Halo hate is getting old....

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
pha kin su pah is right. The same old halo hate is old and unfounded. It's all a matter of taste, but there is no denying that the Halo franchise is something special.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
I would really like to see Bungie step into another franchise. I think they've pigeon holed themselves with Halo, and really need to prove their skills as developers before I can fully trust them again.

I just hope that years monitoring the retards on their forums, and on xbox live hasn't destroyed them mentally.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
axlr4 said:
fuck halo
Well thank you for your valuable input. ¬_¬

Just becasue they're ending the Halo series doesn't mean they'll stop making games set in the Halo universe. After the copy and paste of Halo 2&3, some variety would not go amiss.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Eldritch Warlord said:
Your logical fallacy is both amusing and baffling.

It leads me to believe you don't know what you've just said, what you've said is that you didn't care for a game because prior to it's release you had no knowledge of the series.
What I am saying is that I have no nostalgic love for the series, so I had no drive to ignore the banality of three. Apparently, the first two were "epic", but I have not and don't plan to play them.

I had not subscribed to the supposed "epicness" of the series, which is why it had null-effect on myself.